charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (17-19 Sep 21)

1 hour ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Even if “people who pay for a max account of their own watch it on that instead” isn’t the only causal mechanism, it seems pretty clear between Macho Malignant Reminiscence TSS that Max releases are putting a real drag on movies. Some of that may also be account sharing, direct piracy, movies not “feeling like” events, or WB marketing less because the financial equations around marketing are different.

FTR I used it for TSS/malignant/Reminiscence and will for Cry Macho next week. That’s 5-10 dollar tickets x4 not spent at the theater.

11 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

This would be kind of a dumb trivia, but I wonder what the most recent movie is to be #1 for each weekend in its month of release.

The Wretched just this last year (yes I know last year doesn't technically count)

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BP had 5 #1 weekend iirc but not in one month

Yeah it’s dumb because you have to open on the 1st weekend of a month to qualify. Eric found one more recently than I was expecting.   

Amusingly TA missed despite pulling 52% of the month because of MIB3 on the final weekend.

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May is almost impossible since you will have least 2 big films opening, summer too but early August release may do it.

Yep. Suicide Squad was defeated by DB1 in the pre-labor horror spot, gotg lost 2 weekends to the teenage turtles.

Unless it really gets smashed by V2+NTTD I don’t see how it misses 230. And they shouldn’t hurt screens much since we have so much other chaff for them to take screens from instead. Mostly the PLFs could hurt a little.   

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Kings Speech is the highest grossing movie of all time at this theater

Wow, now that’s some golden trivia!

Do you have something normal like Endgame/TFA as #2 at least or is it old white Oscar bait for a while?

• Like 1

@Legion of the Ten Crores

These are all the movies that were #1 each weekend its month of release

Furious 7 (2015)

Meet the Parents (2000)

The Sixth Sense (1999)

The Fugitive (1993)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Beverly Hills Cop (1984) (It also dominated the months of January and February 1985)

You also have Avatar #1 through January 2010, Titanic #1 through January, February, and March 1998, Home Alone #1 through December 1990, plus January and February 1991, Rain Man January 1989, Good Morning Vietnam February 1988, Crocodile Dundee October 1986, Rocky IV December 1985, Back to the Future August 1985, Tootsie Jan-Feb 1983, Porky's April 1982, and On Golden Pond Feb 1982, but I'm aware that's not the question you're asking.

I'm sure there's more, but Box Office Mojo's data only goes back so far. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2