Eric Lasagna

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

this thread give me a vibe that this movie is gonna flop hard cuz there are so many great reactions out there while none of you post it.

Usually peeps post critic reactions which will be out in 2 days, I did scroll through tweets for the mexican/french premieres and they do seem enthusiastic though

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

this thread give me a vibe that this movie is gonna flop hard cuz there are so many great reactions out there while none of you post it.

I saw them, I didn't post cause, y'know early reactions, they're always great unless you're talking about a Sony CBM. It's interesting that it won over some people who didn't love Part 1.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

I can only assume reactions are great coz i don't speak french....

If you go to Xitter they offer in line Google translate. Bottom line, short but very substantive praise, expectation set again this is a better film than One (which for me is cake on top of pie). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I saw them, I didn't post cause, y'know early reactions, they're always great unless you're talking about a Sony CBM. It's interesting that it won over some people who didn't love Part 1.

They are only always great on twitter, not on letterboxd. And the early reviews on letterboxd are amazing

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

This Dune trilogy is going to be the Lord of the Rings of this generation.

They'll be successful, and I love the story (book fan) but I wouldn't go that far. LOTR is easier to digest and will still probably take the financial and awards/critical crown in the end. Dune is more polarizing even with its growing popularity, and this will especially be true when Messiah comes out. I'll just be grateful if the studios leave Villeneuve the hell alone and let him do what he needs to do. 

• Like 2

France was Dune's #3 OS market (25.4M) after China (39.5M) and UK (28.8M). Based on the rapturous reception, it's gonna blow up in this market. It should also improve Mexican performance (5M). All of them were during the pandemic. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

France was Dune's #3 OS market (25.4M) after China (39.5M) and UK (28.8M). Based on the rapturous reception, it's gonna blow up in this market. It should also improve Mexican performance (5M). All of them were during the pandemic. 

I hope China pulls a considerably bigger audience this time and I feel that the action-packed Part 2 might just do it. How much more? That remains to be seen but even just $60m would be great for the Legendary there and that would give all the more breathing room for Messiah production. I wonder if the Part 2 deal with WB and Legendary is the same as with Part 1 or different. Wasn't China in harsh lockdown policies during Part 1?

Maybe Part 2 has a shot for even $100m there? ...I wonder which movies have done that since Part 1 over there.

Answering myself ...

Chinese Box Office 2023

Shot yeah, but needs to hit a homerun. $60-80m should definitely be in play. Don't know what the competition would be. During Part 1 NTTD hit week after the theaters.

Edited by von Kenni
Chinese BO numbers

Uh, I'm not expecting much out of China based on how they've been treating Hollywood films lately. Pretty sure the latest forecast for it was like $14M. 

Unless the Chinese audiences are really wowed by the spectacle of it all, it's gonna take a miracle to get $60M+ from China tbh.

These social media reactions are intriguing because so many of them are calling it better than the first one, even people who mentioned not liking the first one all that much.

Really looking forward to what the critics will say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

These social media reactions are intriguing because so many of them are calling it better than the first one, even people who mentioned not liking the first one all that much.

Really looking forward to what the critics will say.

It's likely to be an almost carbon copy of the first film. The reason is there's a sizable minority of critics who simply cannot stand sci-fi (and/or fantasy), especially the films which take themselves seriously.

Then there are the ones who reflexively push back against any big Hollywood films, even those made with impeccable craft.

I will be surprised if any of those critics suddenly reevaluate the films, no matter how much more intense or impressive in their individual elements.

During LOTR even those who ended up warming up to the trilogy did so begrudgingly, and to my knowledge never went back to reassess Fellowship or Towers. 

Edited by IchwanBigBrother
Clarification