Eric Furiosa

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Warner and legendary are working also on Dune First TV series for HBO max this fall. So clearly the partner of this saga is Warner. Maybe Warner has a percentage of the saga rights too.

Even if not for legendary clearly to envolve people is better to have every movie, tv series and possible product relate to this universe in the same platform .

Edited by vale9001

You know, I love that despite Bladerunner 2049 flopping, Denis decided to make the dreams of his nerdy teenage self come true and take on the monumental taks of adapting Dune, and basically all of Hollywood's rising stars were like "fuck yeah let me get in on that".

In hindsight I have no idea how it happened, but I'm glad it did.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

WB will co-produce Dune Messiah. Legendary isn't going to let Sony near it lmao.

I suspect Warners has options  for Messiah in the contract anyway.

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Warner and legendary are working also on Dune First TV series for HBO max this fall. So clearly the partner of this saga is Warner. Maybe Warner has a percentage of the saga rights too.

Even if not for legendary clearly to envolve people is better to have every movie, tv series and possible product relate to this universe in the same platform .

Label me as very skeptical about any Dune project not based directly upon The Herbert novels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Label me as very skeptical about any Dune project not based directly upon The Herbert novels.

Except if it's a TV show about the Bene Gesserit (based on Appendix materials from the first book I guess?), it could have real potential to flesh out the universe, and be good in its own rights. It could literally happen like 10,000 years before the movies and still both make sense and tie in with the movies.

I am cautiously optimistic.

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Except if it's a TV show about the Bene Gesserit (based on Appendix materials from the first book I guess?), it could have real potential to flesh out the universe, and be good in its own rights. It could literally happen like 10,000 years before the movies and still both make sense and tie in with the movies.

I am cautiously optimistic.

That was the same idea behinf Rings of Power, and it did not work very well. 

I just have problmes treating classic novels like a comic book franchise.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

You know, I love that despite Bladerunner 2049 flopping, Denis decided to make the dreams of his nerdy teenage self come true and take on the monumental taks of adapting Dune, and basically all of Hollywood's rising stars were like "fuck yeah let me get in on that".

In hindsight I have no idea how it happened, but I'm glad it did.

The whole production history of these new Dune movies kind of remind me of LOTR as in nobody involed really knew if these movies would actually work and be succesfull at all, but despite these concerns, everyone just decided to give career-best perfomances, be it the actors, the director, the composer, just everyone.

But with LOTR, they shot all three movies right after the other, so atleast they knew from the beginning that they would adapt the whole story. With Dune, i remember the days before it opened, nobody knew if there would be a Part 2, it all was dependant on Part 1 not beeing a financial failure despite the pandemic and HBO Max release. And thank god, it was a success because know i dont want to imagine a world where Dune: Part Two doesnt exist.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's kinda of based on prequel books written by his son, which said the book are inspired by what his father left on notes (he's an executive producer with villenueve too). While the co writers of all these books, Kevin j. Anderson, is the main producer.

We can't say it's not in the hands of people well know the essence of the universe. 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's kinda of based on prequel books written by his son, which said the book are inspired by what his father left on notes (he's an executive producer with villenueve too). While the co writers of all these books, Kevin j. Anderson, is the main producer.

We can't say it's not in the hands of people well know the essence of the universe. 

His son's books are not very well-regarded.

• Like 1

The thing that concerns me about the show is that it's been a total mess behind the scenes. It's been through like three or four showrunners, lost two directors (Villeneuve and Johan Renck), an actor and I think the overall storyline has changed drastically not too long ago. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

There is nobody in the world I trust less yo handle anything Dune related than Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. 

Their books are abominations, absolutely horrible, and they sure have been trying to milk the story dry (they have written something like 20 Dune books or more).

If any of them has any active, decisive,  creative input in a Dune project,  it will suck

Edited by Merkel

25 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

That the prequel novels pretty much sucked is not a good sign.

Kevin J Anderson is a hack, frankly, and I see is involvemnt as a negative.

2 minutes ago, Merkel said:

There is nobody in the world I trust less handle anything Duen related than Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. 

Their books are abominations, absolutely horrible, and they sure have been trying to milk the story dry (they written something like 20 Dune books or more).

If any of them has any active, decisive,  creative input in a Dune project,  it will suck

THIS.THIS.THIS. The Brian Herbert/Anderson novels are pretty bad.

One fanboy delusion is that writers are interchangable. They are not.

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is that show still happening?

Yes. Zaslav confirmed few weeks ago that is coming out this year.

“Looking ahead, we’ve got one of the best lineups in the history of HBO. This next quarter, we’ll have Hacks and House of the Dragon, followed by DC’s The Penguin and the new Dune series.”

Alison Schapker is the showrunner. Hard to tell if Kevin J. Anderson and/or Brian Herbert are pulling the strings though. She has some good credits to her name, but yeah... could go either way right now

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

His son's books are not very well-regarded.

Frank herbert books from novel 2 are not too to be honest 😋. Geeks are annoying, we been knew.

Edited by vale9001

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Frank herbert books from novel 2 are not too to be honest 😋. Geeks are annoying, we been knew.

That's not true at all. They're. at most, divisive, whereas Brian Herbert's nd Kevin J Anderson's stuff is downright despised by many.

To put both bodies of work in the same conversation as if they were, in any sense, comparable, is a silly exercise.

They are galaxies apart quality wise.

30 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Alison Schapker is the showrunner. Hard to tell if Kevin J. Anderson and/or Brian Herbert are pulling the strings though. She has some good credits to her name, but yeah... could go either way right now

Yeah, her background looks promising but when you check the experience of writers it's depressing. And I haven't checked how Villeneuve's current participation has been but probably very low since Dehne Part 2 took all his time. Based on what kind of series abominations compared to the source material we've had like the Rings of Power (heard insider makers that the second season is going to go even more south) and Foundation, faith on this is pretty low. Hopefully we're going to be pleasantly surprised but the signs are just not there.

E.g. Picard season three was incredible surprise and gift because the showrunner had the chops and love for the IP, he gathered the dream team of craft people that shared the love as well as writing crew. This might have a showrunner that checks the box but writers not and the craft crew I don't know.

• Like 1