Eric S'ennui

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

By the way, I feel like a lesson in Denis Villeneuve's name is in order. I've seen so many interviewers butchering his name. In fact, 99% do so.

It's pronounced like this:

Duh-knee Vil-nuhv

Read the above out loud in English. There you go, that's how it's pronounced in French. Congrats, you are now among the select few who can pronounce his name properly.

Literally nobody in the anglosphere pronounces his name correctly. Except, now, you. :ph34r:

source: we come from the same place, and I'm something of a linguist myself (cue meme here)

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

By the way, I feel like a lesson in Denis Villeneuve's name is in order. I've seen so many interviewers butchering his name. In fact, 99% do so.

Duh-knee Vil-nuhv

Read the above out loud in English. There you go, that's how it's pronounced in French. Congrats, you are now among the select few who can pronounce his name properly.

Literally nobody in the anglosphere pronounces his name correctly. Except, now, you. :ph34r:

Is French even a real language though? Ive heard its just the abridged version of Latin. And in this case, his name should be:

Den-ius Vil-nuhvus

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 3/7/2024 at 12:22 AM, Daxtreme said:

Duh-knee Vil-nuhv

source: we come from the same place, and I'm something of a linguist myself (cue meme here)

got it,

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Duh-knee Vil-nuhv

Dunny Vilnuv got it

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Yeah, her background looks promising but when you check the experience of writers it's depressing. And I haven't checked how Villeneuve's current participation has been but probably very low since Dehne Part 2 took all his time. Based on what kind of series abominations compared to the source material we've had like the Rings of Power (heard insider makers that the second season is going to go even more south) and Foundation, faith on this is pretty low. Hopefully we're going to be pleasantly surprised but the signs are just not there.

E.g. Picard season three was incredible surprise and gift because the showrunner had the chops and love for the IP, he gathered the dream team of craft people that shared the love as well as writing crew. This might have a showrunner that checks the box but writers not and the craft crew I don't know.

What makes Rings of  Power bad is a lot of the   series directly conflictt with  what Tolkien wrote about the second age in the   Silmarallion . Not having access to the Simarallion sort of doomed it in my eyes

As for the Foundation series, they simply threw out the Asimov novels.It is pretty much fanfic, and not even good fanfic.

And Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert being involved in the DUne TV series si not good news, given how much their Dune novles suck.

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1

Just got out and this is a very, very good movie and I didn't even care all that much for Part 1.  Its nice seeing a passion project of this scale that doesn't feel like producer driven corporate dreck.  At no point during this movie was my cynical brain counting the beats or the committee mandates that dominate so much media these days.  I wish this guy and Nolan could pump out movies once a year because I barely go to the movies anymore.

Not quite as good as LOTR imo, but this is very much Fury Road level

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Just got out and this is a very, very good movie and I didn't even care all that much for Part 1.  Its nice seeing a passion project of this scale that doesn't feel like producer driven corporate dreck.  At no point during this movie was my cynical brain counting the beats or the committee mandates that dominate so much media these days.  I wish this guy and Nolan could pump out movies once a year because I barely go to the movies anymore.

Not quite as good as LOTR imo, but this is very much Fury Road level

Villeneuve actually did make a movie a year in the 2013-2017 stretch, he is quite prolific outside of this covid-stumped past few years

• Like 1

Speaking of LotR, I remember Villeneuve saying that he was actually relieved in hindsight that he didn’t film the Dune movies back to back, because he needed time to cool off after how exhausting the initial shoot was. I guess Peter Jackson is built different. 

Edited by WittyUsername

48 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Speaking of LotR, I remember Villeneuve saying that he was actually relieved in hindsight that he didn’t film the Dune movies back to back, because he needed time to cool off after how exhausting the initial shoot was. I guess Peter Jackson is built different. 

Peter Jackson has been creatively exhausted for decades after the LotR shoot. Honestly, worth it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Is French even a real language though? Ive heard its just the abridged version of Latin. And in this case, his name should be:

Den-ius Vil-nuhvus

Or his American twin

Denny Villynoovy

10 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

#1 on Audible ain't too shabby.

if that’s the same one my partner listened to (it has the part 1 movie poster) then it’s a truly bizarre recording - they’ve mashed two audiobooks together so some chapters are one narrator doing all the dialogue and others are multiple actors playing various characters, like a radio play. I’d go so far as to say it’s unlistenable. 

Not surprised at the good legs, the highs in the movie are just really fucking high. 

while I’ll still probably be more interested in whatever Nolan has coming up in the future I think it’s now pretty easy to admit that Villeneuve has the greatest tonal and visual flair of any director making huge movies today. It’s simply really hard to imagine anyone else realising the Dune world and that kind of vibe this effectively. 

Edited by Hatebox

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I just realised the first Dune has a higher top critics score (7.7/10) than Dune 2 (7.6/10).

It started off way higher but some of the later top critics did an absolute hit job on its score.

Edited by JustLurking

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It started off way higher but some of the later top critics did an absolute hit job on its score.

Just looked at Metacritic and the one red on there is some dumbass whining about 'white messiah' even though that part was a lot more nuanced than something like Avatar. 

Go figure.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

39 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Just looked at Metacritic and the one red on there is some dumbass whining about 'white messiah' even though that part was a lot more nuanced than something like Avatar. 

Go figure.

We shouldn't probably get caught on these few bad reviews but one on rotten tomatoes was hilarious when it was complaining how bad the CGI was.

• Like 2