Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

The definitive Villeneuve ranking before Dune 2:

01. Blade Runner 2049
02. Arrival
03. Prisoners
04. Dune - Part 1
05. Sicario
06. Incendies
07. Enemy
08. Polytechnique
09. August 32nd on Earth
10. Maelström

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Got to see the movie this morning. Naturally, it's impossibly huge and unbelievably gripping. It's the best Villeneuve movie, it's the best sci-fi movie in I don't know how long, and it'll be tough to beat it as the best film of the year. 

Sorry now that i think about it this is an impossibly tall order with this movie coming out this year as well:

Spoiler

Godzilla_x_kong_the_new_empire_poster.jp

• Astonished 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Sorry now that i think about it this is an impossibly tall order with this movie coming out this year as well:

Hide contents

Godzilla_x_kong_the_new_empire_poster.jp

Speaking of which, some major shots from the movie have seemingly been leaked online, so you might want to be careful browsing the web going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Speaking of which, some major shots from the movie have seemingly been leaked online, so you might want to be careful browsing the web going forward.

Ive been spoiled on many things anyway (which make me very excited actually), but thanks for the warning!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's gonna be the ultimate shipper movie. AO3 will explode.

• Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Wait, what kind of rounding does RT use? I thought it'd turn 98% when it crossed 97,5 but still hasn't happened 🤔

116/119 = 0.97478

So it still hasn't crossed 97.5.

117/120 would be exactly 97.5, so we need at least two more positive reviews.

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

116/119 = 0.97478

So it still hasn't crossed 97.5.

117/120 would be exactly 97.5, so we need at least two more positive reviews.

It was at 119/122 and still 97. Or maybe shit just bugged out for me idk. Or maybe I'm tripping and misread. Latter is pretty possible.

Edited by JustLurking

54 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The definitive Villeneuve ranking before Dune 2:

01. Blade Runner 2049
02. Arrival
03. Prisoners
04. Dune - Part 1
05. Sicario
06. Incendies
07. Enemy
08. Polytechnique
09. August 32nd on Earth
10. Maelström

What I have watched.

Arrival

BR2049

Sicario

Dune part 1.

My first viewing of BR2049 in 2017 I gave it a 6 and found it boring. Watched it this year and was blown away. 

Sometimes you appreciate and love aspects of a film with time and age. The 2017 casual audience viewer I was expected action packed movie .

Sad this flopped .Hard  SCi Fi concept movies don't do well at box office 

But dune is bucking the trend and hope it really continues.

DUNE was nominated for 10 Oscars. Wins in bold.

Picture

Adapted Screenplay

Original Score

Sound

Production Design

Cinematography

Makeup and Hairstyling

Costume

Editing

Visual Effects

Do you think DUNE II might give Denis Villeneuve a directing nom? Are acting nominations possible as well? Chalamet, Zendaya, and Butler have been receiving praises.

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Picture

Adapted Screenplay

Original Score

Sound

Production Design

Cinematography

Makeup and Hairstyling

Costume

Editing

Visual Effects

Do you think DUNE II might give Denis Villeneuve a directing nom? Are acting nominations possible as well? Chalamet, Zendaya, and Butler have been receiving praises.

I would hope he'd get a directing nom, but it's far from a sure thing, the director branch often snubs blockbuster directors. I do think the backlash from the previous snub can only help though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I would hope he'd get a directing nom, but it's far from a sure thing, the director branch often snubs blockbuster directors. I do think the backlash from the previous snub can only help though.

I've never read the books, but I've heard they're difficult to adapt. I really hope he gets a nom this time.

39 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Picture

Adapted Screenplay

Original Score

Sound

Production Design

Cinematography

Makeup and Hairstyling

Costume

Editing

Visual Effects

Chalamet and Zendaya will be campaigned in Lead which is much tougher category to get in. WB could technically fraud Zendaya in supporting but not Chalamet. Since Supporting is easier to get in, Butler with his showy af performance could get in since that category likes villains and OTT characters (see RDJ, Ruffalo, DeNiro, Gosling this year). Likewise, I've seen praise for Ferguson so she could sneak in Supporting if they decide to campaign her there anot fraud Z.

So what I can see it winning:

Picture

Director

Editing (repeat)

Score (repeat)

Sound (repeat)

Production design (repeat)

Cinematography (repeat)

VFX (repeat)

Makeup and Hairstyling (Butler's makeup is getting singled out although it's the same makeup like all Harkonens in the first movie)

I think that Costume is tougher cause it didn't win last time, will depend on competition. Adapted is likely going to something else - they like to award small character-driven movies there - but as long as it's nominated it will be fine. I'm hoping for at least 1 acting nom and right now Butler seems the likeliest for what I said above. It really needs SAG Ensemble nom at least if it wants to win Picture.

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Chalamet and Zendaya will be campaigned in Lead which is much tougher category to get in. WB could technically fraud Zendaya in supporting but not Chalamet. Since Supporting is easier to get in, Butler with his showy af performance could get in since that category likes villains and OTT characters (see RDJ, Ruffalo, DeNiro, Gosling this year). Likewise, I've seen praise for Ferguson so she could sneak in Supporting if they decide to campaign her there anot fraud Z.

So what I can see it winning:

Picture

Director

Editing (repeat)

Score (repeat)

Sound (repeat)

Production design (repeat)

Cinematography (repeat)

VFX (repeat)

Makeup and Hairstyling

I think that Costume is tougher cause it didn't win last time, will depend on competition. Adapted is likely going to something else - they like to award small character-driven movies there - but as long as it's nominated it will be fine. I'm hoping for at least 1 acting nom and right now Butler seems the likeliest for what I said above. It really needs SAG Ensemble nom at least if it wants to win Picture.

Too bad the casting category won't be in effect this year. This might win that as well. But yeah, I can also see one acting nom for this.

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Too bad the casting category won't be in effect this year. This might win that as well. But yeah, I can also see one acting nom for this.

Agreed, Casting would be shoo-in lets hope Ensemble compensates. It needs to be seen as actor's movie not just tech movie.  And yes, 1 acting nom is the most realistic scenario.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1