Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

Yeah this is my thought as well. I don't think a lot of schools are off and it's not a day off work for most so I don't see how much of a bump Friday will get. Definitely a bit of a bump but I'm hoping not so much that Saturday will DROP from true Friday. 

I miss Marvel Saturdays. Heck, I miss how Saturdays were at the box office in general. It's weird because you'd think after covid it would be the opposite, that there wouldn't be more front loading on opening day.

We don't have any big Friday Veterans Day to compare. The closest we have is Doctor Strange's 2nd weekend. We can see the Friday-Saturday change, but we can't see to what extent Friday was elevated over what it WOULD have been on a "normal" Friday.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jedijake said:

We don't have any big Friday Veterans Day to compare. The closest we have is Doctor Strange's 2nd weekend. We can see the Friday-Saturday change, but we can't see to what extent Friday was elevated over what it WOULD have been on a "normal" Friday.

Yeah, makes sense. Still charting new ground with some of these non traditional dates (ie. Usually Marvel November releases drop on the first Friday).

Hopefully this one draws a bettwr crowd on Saturday and Sunday than we expect post Covid though. If any movie can do it's this one. Same with Avatar 2.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I think I'll take the over 175-185m domestic projections

No tracking listed for The Fabelmans but it's in 4 cinemas and I expect it over TAR and Banshees of Inisherin, at the very least. TAR opened to 158k and a 39.6k PTA. Banshees did 184k and a 46.1k PTA. 

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think I'll take the over 175-185m domestic projections

No tracking listed for The Fabelmans but it's in 4 cinemas and I expect it over TAR and Banshees of Inisherin, at the very least. TAR opened to 158k and a 39.6k PTA. Banshees did 184k and a 46.1k PTA. 

Everything Everywhere remains the biggest PTA of the year so far with $50K so if Fabelmans came close to that (especially when it's having to fight for screen space with a massive tentpole, which none of the other specialty titles have so far this year when they opened) it would be pretty darn solid.

• Like 1

Contrary to what's been said re: Veterans Day, anyone think there's a chance Friday is actually depressed a bit for WF? Just anecdotally there are a few examples of people I know not going on Friday for various reasons. For instance, one of my friends takes public transit and the buses aren't even running where he lives on that day.

Just now, Verrows said:

Contrary to what's been said re: Veterans Day, anyone think there's a chance Friday is actually depressed a bit for WF? Just anecdotally there are a few examples of people I know not going on Friday for various reasons. For instance, one of my friends takes public transit and the buses aren't even running where he lives on that day.

It's absolutely not depressed. I can tell you that from presales, it's definitely inflated.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

Is that good? Doesn't seem that great to me. Didn't SM: NWH do about that in the first 24 hours?

Seems like BPWF's sputtering along. WOM will be okay but not enough to push the presales up a ton in the last couple of days, eh?

7 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Friday and Saturday are looking huge. Hoping for 200 million.

Do we have numbers we can look at? All I've seen are the Alamo Drafthouse numbers.

What are true Friday and Saturday predictions?

Edited by jedijake

44 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Do we have numbers we can look at? All I've seen are the Alamo Drafthouse numbers.

What are true Friday and Saturday predictions?

What it looks like to me is this movie is selling more on the weekend proper than we've gotten accustomed to post covid. We're getting used to really frontloaded multis so previews tracking doesn't paint the best picture, but as others have said Friday/Saturday/Sunday are looking really strong. Thursday is just unexpectedly soft.

We may be going back closer to the old MCU multis with WF here. We'll see!