Pypa94

Poland Box Office | Avatar: The Way of Water is HUGE

I'm looking at Miasto 44 reservations and it seems that small and medium cities are the ones that want to see this movie the most. They have good ammount of reservations. Big cities on the other hand look just decent. They are doing better then for Walesa last year but they aren't doing great at the moment. Maybe the big ammount of screenings in big cities make people less worried about getting a ticket for the showing?

20-35 well situated and well educated people in the big cities simply don't care about the movie. That's the problemy with small reservations since they are the most frequent viewers. No one I ask in that demo cares about the movie. Maybe a few of them who are history nuts.

It would be a great release date for something aimed at them. An edgy oscar contender.

• Like 1

Bogowie pretty much won everything in Gdynia. This could be a very succesful movie. Reviews are great.

Miasto 44 is doing good. Don't know how many copies are there but I think it looks good for that over 300k admissions opening.

But still I can't believe those great presales turned out to be so misleading.

Edited by chimpo

Bogowie pretty much won everything in Gdynia. This could be a very succesful movie. Reviews are great.

Miasto 44 is doing good. Don't know how many copies are there but I think it looks good for that over 300k admissions opening.

But still I can't believe those great presales turned out to be so misleading.

Those are organized groups thanks to their school and church actions. KS is good with those. They have no connection and relation to regular commercial tickets.

I still see it around 300 (we have a betting table in our office and I bet 330) but with volleyball WC final being free for everyone they might have lost sunday evening.

I looked at best openings of this year and of 2013 and I think with the fragmented market and many more movies too chose from as well as tickets that are too expensive for viewers in smaller cities we may have found a new opening celling.

Only 2 movies have opened above 200k this year and we will probably end up with 3 when  Hobbit comes.

In 2013 we also only had 2 openings above 200k. I really think we overcalculated based on how the market looked in 2012 and before.

I think Hunger Games and Hobbit have a chance to pass 200k admissions on OW and who knows if Bogowie won't suprise us, with Agora agressive marketing and great reviews from Gdynia Festival.

Previous Hunger Games did 195k and though that was surprisingly low if the movie follows the same sequel to sequel pattern as Twilight this chapter should do even a bit less than the previous one. Though yeah doing only 5k more is doable.

As for Bogowie - I would not expect that. The movie will not work for younger moviegoers and more raunchy viewers in smaller cities like "Pod Mocnym Aniołem" or "Drogówka" did and Drogówka did open with 176k during a better month. Also Bogowie have strong competition. One week earlier you have Służby Specialne and unless something terrible happens miasto by then should still be grossing pretty well. Also many viewers in cities will go for Gone Girl since the reviews are stellar. I think Bogowie will go for 140k (+/- 25k depending on how well they market it) but it will have superb legs.

Hunger Games movies have good legs compared to Twilight. And quality of the movies is in different leagues ( Hunger Games are so much better movies it's not even a contest ). That's why I think it will grow it's audience once again. And it won't have too much competition during it's run.

Edited by chimpo

Hunger Games movies have good legs compared to Twilight. And quality of the movies is in different leagues ( Hunger Games are so much better movies it's not even a contest ). That's why I think it will grow it's audience once again. And it won't have too much competition during it's run.

It's better but If I remember right you saw similar things for Harry Potter. Hunger games may be a better movie but so far less people are willing to see it.

Miasto 44 week days reservations look way better then weekend reservations at Multikino and Cinema City. Tomorrow looks like they might do more then a half of weekend numbers with those reservations :P

Bad weather plus cheap tickets and people suddenly go to cinemas. Maybe big chains need to reconsider their weekend price policies.

Edited by chimpo

Late or early screenings? Because everything before 4pm is schools. Such movies thanks to organized groups usually tend to do more than OW on their first week. Kamienie na szaniec did 150k on a 100k weekend so expect a similar ratio. Hell remember Bitwa Pod Wiedniem? That was an anomaly. I would need to calculate that but I wouldn't be surprised if 3/4ths of the results came from weekdays.

I only checked after 5PM shows, didn't check earlier. I checked few Multikino's and few Cinema City's.

Even today there are way more reservations then there were on Saturday and Sunday showings at the same time.

It's not super packed but just on the first look they were like 2-3 times more reservations for today then there were for Saturday and Sunday at few cinemas ( in Warsaw, Poznan and Wroclaw )

Tomorrow evening showings are pretty packed in Warsaw.

Edited by chimpo

Reservations at Helios were quite good today (at least in Opole), I would say that much better that on Saturday or Sunday. Especially the matinees were well reserved by gropus, afternoon was significantly worse and the four evening screenings were packed in 75%. But Tueday is discount day at Helios.

Like Norbar wrote How To Train Your Dragon 2 has passed 1 million admissions and it's at 1.002.079 admission

exactly.

That is second movie this year that passed this milestone.

And now the weekend numbers ( sorry for delay )

1. Miasto 44                                    191 900 / 191 900
  2. The Maze Runner                          38 275 / 38 275
  3. Les vacances du Petit Nicolas          20 121 / 481 991
  4. Before I Go To Sleep                     17 929 / 69 771
  5. If I Stay                                       16 594 / 60 207
  6. Lucy                                            11 610 / 534 859
  7. The Pirate Fairy                             8 445 / 436 875
  8. As Above, So Below                      6 016 / 68 244
  9. Barbie And The Secret Door           5 956 / 59 997
  10. Magic in The Moonlight                  4 863 / 232 466

Miasto 44 opening weekend altough looks good compared to other openings this year ( 4th so far ) should be consider a little bit disappointing. Good weather, huge competition from Volleyball World Cup Final Four and unknown factor caused lower attendence then expected.

During weekdays the movie is doing much better ( and not school groups aren't the biggest factor as was expected ) so this could have either a small drop or it can even rise on second weekend ( which wouldn't be a shocker ). The WOM seems to be good so it will help get more people in cinemas.

The Maze Runner did pretty good. If it manages similar legs to The Giver then it should do above 200k admissions.

Edited by chimpo
  • Like 3