Pypa94

Poland Box Office | Avatar: The Way of Water is HUGE

Weekend numbers ( 5-7 September 2014 )

[*]Lucy                                             25 489 / 463 109 [*]Les Vacances du petit Nicolas         24 479 / 414 731 [*]Sin City 2   23 344 / 23 344 [*]As Above, So Below       20 132 / 20 132 [*]The Giver   15 088 / 149 883 [*]The Pirate Fairy 14 740 / 404 980 [*]Magic in the Moonlight 14 226 / 195 111 [*]Barbie and The Secret Door       9 659 / 35 915 [*]Sex Tape 6 621 / 278 452 [*]Guardians of the Galaxy   6 001 / 367 165

Summer break ended and kids/family movies got hit hard this weekend.

Lucy is back on top with smallest drop in top 10. Suprisingly good legs for a movie with this mixed WOM.

Petit Nicolas dropped big this weekend. Probably all of it's core audience has already seen the movie.

Sin City 2 - nothing to talk about beside that it's doing similar business like in other countries. What a FLOP.

Rest is pretty much not worth mentioning because it was such a bad weekend it's better not talk about it.

Only bright side is that HTTYD 2 has probably passed 1 million admissions ( based on BOM numbers ). It's good that Miasto 44 opens in 9 days because Box Office at the moment sucks!

Edited by chimpo
  • Like 1

I think there has been a correction. They are 5k short to 1mil.

As for Sin City 2 - it didn't play in Multikino network so it lost a ton of big cinemas in big cities. Though looking at the number of copies they had it playing in every little town. It's a strange idea given it's a film for the big cities, not little towns.

I think there has been a correction. They are 5k short to 1mil.

Darn it!! Well now last weekend sucks even more :lol:

Hmm I'm a little bit suprised that Multikino didn't start presales for Miasto 44 yet, like Cinema City and Helios did. Maybe they aren't going to show it ( it wouldn't be the first time they didn't get a deal with distributor )

Darn it!! Well now last weekend sucks even more :lol:

Hmm I'm a little bit suprised that Multikino didn't start presales for Miasto 44 yet, like Cinema City and Helios did. Maybe they aren't going to show it ( it wouldn't be the first time they didn't get a deal with distributor )

Well they didn't show Sin City that is also from Kino Świat. Though i doubt it. I think they aren't doing it just because no one is buying the presale tickets yet.

I found info on their page about the movie so they will show it. It would be really stupid move by them because there is nothing else that will get people in cinemas in September.

As for presales I checked few cinemas and they are pretty good for this time. Bigger sales and reservation will come next week.

I found info on their page about the movie so they will show it. It would be really stupid move by them because there is nothing else that will get people in cinemas in September.

As for presales I checked few cinemas and they are pretty good for this time. Bigger sales and reservation will come next week.

They had info about Sin City too. They canceled it at the last moment. 4 days before release it was on, 3 days before it was cancelled.

As for presales - which cinemas have you checked? The ones in Helios I have checked have ZERO reservations. I see a few in cinema city but unless they win helios cinemas (since they represent smaller cities) they are in big trouble. 

I wonder if  the expectation outside of the business are as big for it as there are inside it. It's a gigantic bubble and it's really confusing because I'm quite sure I'd predict the movie differently if everyone on box office forums and in the business didn't talk about it so much.

Well the reason, why "in the business people" and box office forums talk about it and have big expectations, is that it's a very big budget movie about very well known event which knowledge and importance has grown in recent years.

If it was like 5 milion zlotys movie about some small historical event then expectations would be pretty low.

And outside people who don't know anything about this business will take 1 milion admissions as something huge and bigger number will cause many people to check it out and see what is this buzz all about.i

Right now my very optimistic prediction would be 3M+ admissions, but realistic version would be 1.5M, maybe 2M admissions based on schools going during the weekdays.

Edited by chimpo

From what I hear they no longer count on more than 2.5M.  I get why it's a big event especially with such gigantic patronage and budget but I wonder if there is some weight to the industry buzz. It's the 4th Warsaw uprising movie this year. Some scenes in the trailer look very similar to Kamienie na Szaniec trailer. The distributor needs to be really careful with positioning.

I checked some pre sales for 19th September and so far there are over 200 tickets sold in Warsaws Cinema City cinemas, in Krakow CC's around 20 tickets sold, one Helios in Rzeszow ( Powstanców ) ~100 tickets sold, Helios Bełchatów - 100+ tickets sold, Helios Lubin - 200 tickets sold, Helios Opole - 80+ tickets, Helios Płock - 100+ tickets, Helios Kielce - 75+ tickets, Helios Tczew - 15+ tickets, Helios Radom - 200+ tickets ( 1 sold out screening at 19:00 on friday ), Helios Piła - 60+ tickets.

Okay that's all for tonight. I'll try to do the whole list for Cinema City and Helios tomorrow after work, now I'm just to tired to check everything out. BTW Helios has way easier and way better reservation/buying ticket system than Cinema City ( this one is ridiculously slow )

Edited by chimpo

The other Helios in Rzeszów had 0 two days ago when I checked. That's strange. Thanks for the heads up those are very good numbers. Especially that some of the cinemas that don't do good numbers on a regular basis are good here. Though only 80 in Opole is strange compared to rest. That cinema usually does very good numbers. Though that may suggest something even better - that the movie will hit big in smaller cities, and a bit less in bigger cities leaving some space for other movies. Still that looks like a huge opening is possible given how rarely people pre buy in Poland

btw. I just checked and I suspect those are groups for the most part. Earlier screenings and very concentrated spots. 

Edited by norbar
  • Like 1

There are some groups but they are also viewers. What suprises me is that there are many big groups for the evening shows. They are even bigger then the school one in the morning. I wonder if those are some companies or institutions that are buying tickets for their members? I will do a big list today so we will compare numbers from this week and around Tuesday next week ( I think they will allow reservations around that time so it will be harder to judge presales numbers )

Edited by chimpo

Okay here it goes. I'll start with Helios cinemas.

Belchatow - 85

Bialystok Alfa - 196, Biala - 21

Bielsko-Biala - 15

Bydgoszcz - 32

Dabrowa Górnicza - 354 ( holy shit! )

Gdansk - 19

Gdynia - 28

Gniezno - 48

Gorzów Wlkp. - 1043 ( 3 sold out shows! Unless this is some system mistake than HOLY SHIT!!! )

Grudziadz - 6

Kalisz - 16

Kedzierzyn-Koźle - 5

Kielce - 95

Konin - 21

Legnica - 77

Lubin - 218

Lodz - 71 ( plus they have one special showing that is not available for reservation or tickets, I guess it's sold out and that's easily 300+ tickets )

Nowy Sacz - 20

Olsztyn - 8

Opole - 173

Pila - 81

Piotrków Tryb. -  572 ( 2 sold out shows, looks similar like Gorzow)

Plock - 125

Radom - 310 ( 1 sold out show )

Rzeszów Powstanców - 108, Galeria - 20

Siedlce - 124

Sosnowiec - 276

Szczecin Kupiec - 159 , Outlet - 190

Tczew - 14

Warszawa - 260

Wroclaw - 42

Done :D

Sorry but I won't do Cinema City numbers because their system is just way to slow to check everything out.

Helios Warszawa - Femina? One week before it closes. Wow. Especially given how small it is.

It looks big, especially now that they started bombing with advertising. Given they will hit at around 400 copies I see it opening to over 300k viewers. 350k most likely.

I checked today few cinemas and to my suprise there was actually a big jump in sales for evening shows ( I expected a calm weekend )

Femina will play only Miasto 44 during the weekend. They have 18 showings during the day. It's last hurrah!

BTW Multikino started presales too during the weekend.

I predict around 400 copies and 1000-1500 adm per copy. Friday will be huge based on presales. ( I remember few presales in last 10 years but nothing comes close to what Miasto 44 is doing at this moment of time, especially that those are sold tickets and not reservations like with other movies )

Edited by chimpo
  • Like 1

I think you are a bit too eager. Remember those are groups and you see more sales in smaller cities. Remember Wałesa was positioned to be big and it opened to 140k at 290 copies. That's 489people per copy though it looked much worse before release. I suspect there will be more here especially since Jestem Bogiem has shown late September isn't as bad as many people think but I still think there will be some negative audience for this movie. I see it closer to 800-1000 adm per copy though it all depends on the weather

That's the thing. Groups on friday is something Walesa didn't have on it's opening friday. Let's remember that 1000 admissions per copy for 3 days with 5 showings per day is 66 people per showing. Looking just at the size of rooms that Miasto 44 got in all cinemas then I guess they would need to fill just 20% of the room for each showing to reach 1000 admissions per copy. And looking at the presales I'll say that shouldn't be a problem.

If I have some free time in the evening then I will do an update on sales. Based on the first look it should be interesting.