filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I wonder who the next super producer they'll turn to cause I'm getting a feeling the reviews for this will be so bad that Will Packer will be the latest to find themselves on the list of people unlikely to be invited back to produce the ceremony. I'm sure @Cap would be on board with getting the inevitable Ryan Murphy-produced trainwreck out of the way sooner rather than later.

Excuse me. Ryan Murphy only knows how to shit the bed in the third act. I fully Believe he could get through an Oscar show, because frankly by the time we’ve reached hour three no one really cares anyway.

I also, and I’m really not being coy about this, think they should just cancel the show. Like permanently. I think it would be much more efficient if they basically announced the awards on Twitter, and then everyone could go to the parties after like normal, and then that’s where you do all the red carpet stuff. So you get rid of the ceremony. And you get rid of the speeches. And you get rid of all the hassle. But we still get to be outraged because our favorite didn’t win and we still get to see everyone and they’re pretty dresses. That sounds like the best case scenario going forward.

My friend and I also suggested that everyone should only have 45 seconds from when they get up on stage And speak their first word to finish their speech. And there’s a timer countdown from 45 to 0. And then once they reach zero if they are going over still they get like slimed. Or a trap Door opens. Or someone comes out with a giant hook. I think it would be more engaging for the audience because there’s now a sense of like urgency because oh my God are they gonna finish in time?! And it keeps everyone on schedule.

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

People nowadays people have terrible taste and the movies that win are "indie" and not studio-wide because studios rarely make prestige films to the extent they did

I agree the people in the academy have terrible taste these days. Shape of water and Nomadland were just so meh. 

8 hours ago, Cap said:

I also, and I’m really not being coy about this, think they should just cancel the show. Like permanently. I think it would be much more efficient if they basically announced the awards on Twitter, and then everyone could go to the parties after like normal, and then that’s where you do all the red carpet stuff. So you get rid of the ceremony. And you get rid of the speeches. And you get rid of all the hassle. But we still get to be outraged because our favorite didn’t win and we still get to see everyone and they’re pretty dresses. That sounds like the best case scenario going forward.

The issue with having the red carpet after the event is that people who lost don't stick around. I saw a tweet where Kimmel or someone similar said that the energy in the room drops with each award announced as a lot of seats are now taken up by people who lost that day which makes them less enthusiastic for the remainder of the evening. This is also why presenting 8 categories before the show even begins is a bad idea because you now have a third of the audience in the auditorium composed of people who already lost and don't want to be there anymore.

Imagine someone like say Glenn Close in 2018 talking about her dress before the ceremony, and doing that after her surprise loss.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cap said:

My friend and I also suggested that everyone should only have 45 seconds from when they get up on stage And speak their first word to finish their speech. And there’s a timer countdown from 45 to 0. And then once they reach zero if they are going over still they get like slimed. Or a trap Door opens. Or someone comes out with a giant hook. I think it would be more engaging for the audience because there’s now a sense of like urgency because oh my God are they gonna finish in time?! And it keeps everyone on schedule.

people running up the stage to get a a few more words in

a5f5b1568233dd94d079606215025abb.gif

if anything is ever gonna beat Titanic's viewership record it's this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cap said:

Yeah, none of this is happening lol.

29 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

One PR snafu resolved, at least...

It sounds like the reason she didn't get the invite is because they didn't want any conflicts with the production on Snow White? Like, they couldn't have planned around that knowing West Side Story was going to be a major Best Picture contender for a while? Yet another unfortunate headline courtesy of King Mickey's handling of things these days.

Disney's Oscar Promotion Plans: ESPN, The Simpsons, The Kardashians - Variety

Disney Parks and Disney Cruise Line: Oscars themed chocolate for guests at Disney Hollywood Studios Park; Giant Oscars statue and photo opportunity in lobby of Grand Californian Hotel; Disney Oscars nominated movie screenings at Disney Resorts; Walt Disney World Oscars themed photo opportunity at Disney Springs.

Now I wish I was visiting the area this week lol.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, none of this is happening lol.

It sounds like the reason she didn't get the invite is because they didn't want any conflicts with the production on Snow White? Like, they couldn't have planned around that knowing West Side Story was going to be a major Best Picture contender for a while? Yet another unfortunate headline courtesy of King Mickey's handling of things these days.

I wonder if that's an excuse, because if Rachel was scheduled to film in London the day after the Oscars, wouldn't she have just said she couldn't go because of work? Though like you said, there's no reason a Disney production couldn't adjust the schedule for the star of their Disney princess movie to attend the Oscars on ABC, supporting a Disney-affiliated Best Picture contender with 7 nominations. She'd plug Snow White on the red carpet and get a million reaction shots in the audience.

There's always someone high profile who is filming a movie/TV during awards season and they juggle the schedules to make it all work. Last year, there were more travel/quarantine restrictions but that's less of an issue now. I really do think they didn't invite her in the hopes of also sidestepping Ansel's presence at the Dolby.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

He has been doing quite a of bit of writing. He did an excellent book on the 761st Tank Destroyer Batallion in World War 2, a Black Armored Unit which earned a reputation for giving the Nazi Tankers a bad time called   'Brothers In Arms". Jabbar's father served in that batalliion. There was talk about a movie based upon it, but never panned out.

He is also a Baker Street Irregualar, (Sherlock Holmes Fan) and wrote a couple of fun novels abour Professor Morarity.

We need to start a drinking game :Take a dring every time somebody at the Oscars makes a comment about Ukraine, no matter how far out of left field or how WTF it is.

I am 1000% behind Ukraine, and think we should support it by al means short of actual military action, but last thing I need is celebs exploiiting it  to makes themsleves look good.

Yes, do a presention at the start of the show... mabye with actors a people in the industry of Ukrnaian descent...but leave it at that. Point made. But you know they will manage to mess it up.

23 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder if that's an excuse, because if Rachel was scheduled to film in London the day after the Oscars, wouldn't she have just said she couldn't go because of work? Though like you said, there's no reason a Disney production couldn't adjust the schedule for the star of their Disney princess movie to attend the Oscars on ABC, supporting a Disney-affiliated Best Picture contender with 7 nominations. She'd plug Snow White on the red carpet and get a million reaction shots in the audience.

There's always someone high profile who is filming a movie/TV during awards season and they juggle the schedules to make it all work. Last year, there were more travel/quarantine restrictions but that's less of an issue now. I really do think they didn't invite her in the hopes of also sidestepping Ansel's presence at the Dolby.

If they didn't have a problem with Ansel doing promo for the movie around the time when it came out (attending premieres, doing televised interviews, etc.), I don't see why it would be an issue now. It's not like his controversy transcended beyond social media and he's been under investigation or anything ala Armie Hammer and Death on the Nile.

I honestly wasn't expecting most of the West Side Story cast to attend this whole time considering that the majority of the people from the movie were total unknowns. I assume most of the anonymous Jets/Sharks actors were Theatre People with barely any filmed credits to their names. The only way they were probably getting invites to the Dolby is if the producers had planned a tribute to the musical, which honestly likely would've happened if the movie had done much better at the box office.