Eric S'ennui

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

8 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

No way Disney isn't regretting making Turning Red a D+ movie after seeing Sings performance

Dude Seriously my daughter NEVER gets excited about movies (she's been to the theater once in 3 years......) I miss $1.50 USD movies in England.

Anyways, we have already arranged a time to watch with the family Turning Red. Guaranteed she would pushed for theaters. I can't wait to see it. Looks cute

• Like 1

its a complete shame that Disney has abandoned cinemas for Pixar films. From Toy Story 2 up to Toy Story 4 (which is like 18 films or so) I saw every Pixar film in the cinema; whereas I'm probably never gonna watch any pixar film on streaming cause watching movies at home is garbage (soul / onward / turning red, etc).

if these movies were at the bare minimum a simultaneous release, i'd watch them all...

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AdrianL said:

... it's pretty much 99% gonna pass 300m barring some disaster. I'm expecting $340m+. 

Not sure why near 300 is a guarantee and 340 assumes great leagues. Granted I guess if everything that comes out sucks for 8 weeks straight

Edited by cdsacken

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

@cdsacken 300m is not "nearly 3x", it's 2.3x

Would be batman vs superman levels of bad reception.

I was thinking 340 and adjusted accordingly for the comment. Reviews are solid but not great and I'm not sure about replay watchability. I think 300m is possible but I think 340 is stretching it.

BVS was sub 2.0

Edited by cdsacken
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I was thinking 340 and adjusted accordingly for the comment. Reviews are solid but not great and I'm not sure about replay watchability. I think 300m is possible but I think 340 is stretching it.

BVS was sub 2.0

2.6x it's not a strech imo

• Like 2

I can't wait to watch Turning Red with my four year old daughter.

She wasn't wild about Encanto, Raya or Luca but I have a feeling Turning Red will get heavy rotation.

Though I'm not sure why it's skipping theaters. Looks like an easy 175m DOM/350m WW for Disney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Jumanji showed that 2 big movies can coexist and do well during the Christmas holiday period. Granted that Avatar 2 is likely to be double of what TLJ did but Aquaman 2 is also sequel to DC's biggest grossing movie. Aquaman should however move a week forward or backward (or even to beginning of December as cax16 suggested) to get some breathing room. That should be enough for it do well. 

Families with 5-15 year olds are gonna buy Aquaman 2 tickets, not Avatar 2 tickets, for their Christmas present viewing...kids know Aquaman - none of them know Avatar.  So, if anything moves out of the Christmas corridor, it won't be Aquaman, b/c kids and families skied Spidey's box office this year, and Aquaman after that 1st movie, will skew more family than not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

BVS was sub 2.0

March is completely empty. Like NWH, The Batman will benefit from beeing the sole big action movie for quite a while. With the great WOM it seems to get, a multiplier over 3 seems very likely imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Families with 5-15 year olds are gonna buy Aquaman 2 tickets, not Avatar 2 tickets, for their Christmas present viewing...kids know Aquaman - none of them know Avatar.  So, if anything moves out of the Christmas corridor, it won't be Aquaman, b/c kids and families skied Spidey's box office this year, and Aquaman after that 1st movie, will skew more family than not...

I think people are underestimating just how big a failure it it was to wait 14 years for a franchise with no other movies. I was barely out of college when Avatar came out. Many kids have never even seen the first one.

Aquaman 2 gonna be SO good

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

March is completely empty. Like NWH, The Batman will benefit from beeing the sole big action movie for quite a while. With the great WOM it seems to get, a multiplier over 3 seems very likely imo.

Interesting, we shall see WOM doesn't seem like NWH at all to me but maybe I'm wrong. Still if the slate is that bad 2.6x at 340 should be fine then. Will be interesting, this weekend wasn't great that's for sure.

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

Was the first avatar even relying on kids/families? It felt more like a 4 quad explosion like titanic was 

I think Avatar had a lot going for it this time it won't. I don't think it flops but the delusional 4B predictions are annoying. Without China is does worse than NWH

I can’t speak for anyone else and while I’m sure Avatar is gonna do huge business I could never get my kids to watch the first one so I doubt we’ll seeing the sequel in the theatre as a family.  My wife and I will probably see it alone after we see Aquaman as a family if they do end up releasing the same time. My kids are very open to most things but we tried watching it twice and they just couldn’t get into Avatar for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What are people using as subject for the great WOM, it is good but not anything that wild that will take it "over 3"

Shang Chi had great WOM  and no competition and still struggled to get close to 3, let alone that Batman goes to streaming in 45 days.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

What are people using as subject for the great WOM, it is good but not anything that wild that will take it "over 3"

Shang Chi had great WOM  and no competition and still struggled to get close to 3, let alone that Batman goes to streaming in 45 days.

Streaming will have no impact on Batman’s legs 

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Streaming will have no impact on Batman’s legs 

i agree the second leggiest dc movie (4x) was already at 92% of it's total gross by day 45

Edited by AnDr3s
  • Like 2