The Raid: Redemption

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate The Raid

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Unbelievable action scenes but unfortunately nothing else. The lack of charisma from the lead actor is painful (he is no Jackie Chan that is for sure) and only the guy playing mad dog was something special . The direction was great, the background was great but the plot development was extremely sloppy and the main bad guy forgettable . I expected much more after all the hype .

There's no doubt that the choreography and action scenes are awesome, and the music is done in a way that complements the action and tone of the film well.

One can only wish they had put as much care and thought into the story as they did with the action, because then we might have something truly special here.

B/B-

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

I'm probably going to sound like a little kid here but holy fucking shit! Everything you have heard about this film is absolutely true. The fighting choreography in this is unlike anything I have ever seen. Now I might screw up some of the characters and their names here, but that's only because they are relatively unknown. Iko Uwais is the main actor in this and according to his bio on imdb, he is a Taiwanese Silat champion and has been studying it since 10. It shows. His skill is eye popping, truly incredible. And then there's the main villain in the film, who I think is Mad Dog. He's played by some dude named Yahan Ruhian. He is just as impressive, if not more than Uwais. Another martial artist named Doni Alamsyah makes up a trifecta of gifted martial artists. The last battle is a three way as Uwais and Alamsyah team up to fight Ruhian. It truly left me breathless and I clapped in the empty theater when it was done. I don't know how they did it, but if you think you have seen incredible martial arts battles before, this one will put it to shame.The story? Who cares. Crimelords in Jakarta trap a bunch of SWAT team members in a building and all fucking hell breaks loose. That's all that really has to be said because it is the choreography in the film that takes center stage and it's one of the best I've ever seen.9/10

Iko Uwais is not Taiwanese, but Indonesian silat champion. Pencak Silat is Indonesian traditional martial art.
  • Like 1

This movie was unexpected. This director has some talent. It was all out excellent camera work and stunt work. Every so often the movie lulls but than the action starts right back up again and a whole new set of stunts are thrown at you. Script was non existant as it wasn't even necessary. Going to watch Raid 2 pretty soon.

B

What a great action film, I'm not usually a fan of bloody films but this one I am. Choreography of the action was fantastic, great work by everyone involved in them. Direction and Camera work were great. Did have some gripes, the story was eh and does get dull at times but the action makes up for it. Thought the final fight, how awesome it was, went on for too long imo. Will watch Raid 2 tonight!

4/5

Edited by Breakspear