Eric S'ennui

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

THR, Variety, Deadline, ScreenDaily all mixed 

IndieWire and The Wrap positive but not glowing 

Disney actually manage to send 2 movies to Cannes and both get home with bad reception this is insane

This whole situation irritates me because all Disney had to do for this to decently succeed other than a different marketing strategy was to move this. Who cares if they never get mid June and Thanksgiving back, you lost that as soon as you moved animation to the plus and devalued the brands and competitors already are moving in on your territory. Now all the other stuff like Elio, Wish, and the other originals will face immense bullying from their spots because Disney didn’t do the common sense thing.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, YM! said:

This whole situation irritates me because all Disney had to do for this to decently succeed other than a different marketing strategy was to move this. Who cares if they never get mid June and Thanksgiving back, you lost that as soon as you moved animation to the plus and devalued the brands and competitors already are moving in on your territory. Now all the other stuff like Elio, Wish, and the other originals will face immense bullying from their spots because Disney didn’t do the common sense thing.

Yeah, the movie is already in bad position, reviews won’t help 

Let’s see WOM etc but honestly, now it does looks like another misfire for Disney while Illumination, Sony and DW are managing to succeed 

• Like 1

I'm just hoping for personal enjoyment at this point, though the reactions indicating that it's overstuffed with incident don't make me optimistic.

Barring some massive audience/critic divide which I don't see happening, seems like this movie's fate has been sealed. I don't imagine Pixar's gonna be able to stick to that original every year / sequel every other year business model they promised, and doubt Sohn's going to get another directing gig for awhile.

Edited by AniNate
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Dear lord. This is not a thing.

Most people cannot tell you what is a Disney and what isn't. This whole "Disney+ hurt the BO" nonsense would've hurt every other animated movie in some capacity and yet it hasn't.

These movies cost too much money, and the appetite to see animated originals in the cinema isn't what it used to be. That's the problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Most people cannot tell you what is a Disney and what isn't. This whole "Disney+ hurt the BO" nonsense would've hurt every other animated movie in some capacity and yet it hasn't.

These movies cost too much money, and the appetite to see animated originals in the cinema isn't what it used to be. That's the problem. 

Because non of the other animations had their studios have a go to streamer or as big.

I do think original animation has diminished since the pandemic but I do think the Plus has also been having an effect on Disney animation arms because it’s a bigger streaming service.

Edited by YM!

Well, Pixar doesn't help themselves if they make originals that get mid reviews. They've built their brand on producing top quality films, so I don't really blame people for not being enthusiastic about seeing their lesser output.

Now Elio really is a do or die moment for the studio. I'm not sure their whole modus operandi can survive three straight flops especially after their three films before all got sent to streaming.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I'd say it's because Lightyear and Strange World were uniquely unappealing movies.

IDK, we'll see how things shake out when Wish and Elio come out.

If those are in the doldrums too, I guess you might be right in some way.

But I don't know if you *can* keep on mining Ip in animation... there has to be new stuff eventually.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

THR, Variety, Deadline, ScreenDaily all mixed 

IndieWire and The Wrap positive but not glowing 

Disney actually manage to send 2 movies to Cannes and both get home with bad reception this is insane

Disney after Cannes 2023:

Mario Party 2】MISS and DRAW movies【Nintendo64】 on Make a GIF

Maybe this goes up like how Onward and Coco did after their festival premieres (and it just might), but this isn't the kind of reception that helps the movie out, especially when you want to build buzz for an original movie three weeks before release. This needed glowing reviews out of the gate, and it did not get that. THR also said this cost $200M, which is even more damning after reading some of these reviews and reactions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

Disney movies always have the Disney/Pixar logo on top of the movie title. Those movies air all the time and are promoted all the time on Disney Channel. The trailers and ads always say "From the people who brought you Frozen/Toy Story/Inside Out". They clearly push these movies to make sure you know they have the Disney name on them.

Hell, animation studios have always emphasized the studio that makes them as a brand name. Dreamworks does this, Illumination does this. People know what's a Disney and what's not. I do agree the issue is that original animation doesn't sell (remember, only nostalgic toy commercials make money now), but the whole "nobody knows what's Disney or not" holds no water.

• Like 4