Eric is Quiet

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Interesting point I hadn't heard before about animated budgets

Is there a way to make these kinds of movies at a lower price point?

That’s a constant question. One of the ways you make these films for less money, and almost all of our competitors do this, is to do work offshore. It’s only us and Disney Animation that makes animation films in the U.S. anymore with all of the artists under one roof. We feel like having a colony of artists approach has differentiated our films. We hope to find a path to make that work. “Elemental” was particularly expensive because all the characters have visual effects. We had been getting the film costs down.

The other thing I’ll say about our film budgets is that our whole company exists only to make these films. So when we say a budget, that is everything it takes to run the whole company.  Sometimes, the budgets [for other films] that get reported are physical production costs and don’t include the salaries of executives and things like that. Our budgets include all of that, so there’s some accounting context that gets lost. But that doesn’t mean they’re not expensive.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Definitely one of the most overlooked success stories of this summer. Quietly chugging along DOM with a healthy OS performance.

This has been my favorite run to track this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah the whole "just lower the budgets like Illumination and Spider-Verse!" rhetoric for Pixar was naive thinking especially when we found out more about the conditions people worked under for Spider-Verse.

The Spider-Verse story was a shocker, I don't think Illumination is anywhere near as bad but I've seen videos of their workplace and it's so drab compared to Pixar and WDAS.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

The Spider-Verse story was a shocker, I don't think Illumination is anywhere near as bad but I've seen videos of their workplace and it's so drab compared to Pixar and WDAS.

yeah are you talking about the Paris offices? That's where the animation is done. Their storyboards are done by remote working freelancers in the USA I think.

Pixar will make a profit on this, something almost everybody thought really unlikely after it's opening weekend.

Good news for Pixar, but still, the profit will be small, and if they want to continue to spend money the way they have been they need some big hits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Pixar will make a profit on this, something almost everybody thought really unlikely after it's opening weekend.

Good news for Pixar, but still, the profit will be small, and if they want to continue to spend money the way they have been they need some big hits.

technically if they make a profit at all they can keep spending the same amount of money. Just as long as they make money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

Sometimes small profit is what it takes to build up reliable IP. If it does well on Disney+ and digital, which I think it surely will, and they make a sequel down the line, it would likely have better box office results and be a safer bet for higher profit. Companies like Disney or Pixar can’t only rely on old IP 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:08 AM, abracadabra1998 said:

Sometimes small profit is what it takes to build up reliable IP. If it does well on Disney+ and digital, which I think it surely will, and they make a sequel down the line, it would likely have better box office results and be a safer bet for higher profit. Companies like Disney or Pixar can’t only rely on old IP 

Agreed, but still there is such a thing as failed IPs. You have to know when to just cut your losses. I amnot saying Elemental is one of them, but you can't throw away money on every failed or underperfroming film in hopes  of getting an IP.

South Korea  $48,756,648   8/16/23

Numbers is doing the International #s exchange re calibration.   SK passed $50m days ago.  If exchange rates keep dropping th longer it stays in theaters making money the lower it's totals will be - probably on both sites since BOM does the same.  It's inaccurate though. 

Edit: Meant to say I think BOM only does that on an individual country level but doesn't change the overall O/S number

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

South Korea  $48,756,648   8/16/23

Numbers is doing the International #s exchange re calibration.   SK passed $50m days ago.  If exchange rates keep dropping th longer it stays in theaters making money the lower it's totals will be - probably on both sites since BOM does the same.  It's inaccurate though.

oh....

That's where The Numbers is coming from. That's messed up.

This was in the international BO thread though

19 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Main thing that matters to me is if Sohn is able to stay at Pixar and they're able to keep making originals. I don't think this needs to nor should launch a franchise.

I think Pixar (and WDAS) will always make originals. Just depends on the frequency.

• Like 1