The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched a bit of Stranger Things and a bit of Obi Wan today and I have to say, Stranger Things looks like it costs way more than any of the Marvel or Star Wars D+ shows (aside from Mandalorian). 

This season of Stranger Things was $30m per episode apparently. 

I’ll start it tomorrow, but I’ve heard all of the money is on the screen. 

Edited by Krissykins

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched a bit of Stranger Things and a bit of Obi Wan today and I have to say, Stranger Things looks like it costs way more than any of the Marvel or Star Wars D+ shows (aside from Mandalorian). 

That’s probably because it did cost more, Netflix spent an obscene amount on this season of Stranger Things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This season of Stranger Things was $30m per episode apparently. 

I’ll start it tomorrow, but I’ve heard all of the money is on the screen. 

People always make fun of studios for giving money to the Northman and stuff like that, but can someone please possibly explain to me the added subscribers per dollar logic that these big streamers are making if that number is true? That shit is way, way more fallacious than funding the Northman.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 16

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People always make fun of studios for giving money to the Northman and stuff like that, but can someone please possibly explain to me the added subscribers per dollar logic that these big streamers are making if that number is true? That shit is way, way more fallacious than funding the Northman.

As a Northman budget criticizer… completely agree. All these tv shows seems massively overfunded to me. As an explanation, I can say that it is based on Silicon Valley reasoning instead of Hollywood reasoning — streamers/streaming divisions modeling themselves as being in a temporary phase where they’re battling for market share, where each % will return additional untold fortunes once entrenched and (eventually) properly capitalized upon.   

But this thinking is basically nonsense. You can’t entrench your market share without continuing the massive spends, and you can’t normalize spending without losing some of the share it got you. Uber lost 30B in a decade and do they have a profitable business to show for it? No, they have the prospect of throwing away tens of billions more or shutting down. Netflix’s outrageous content spends have resulted in lowering market share , a stock collapse, and big purse cuts. The marginal dollar here is not seeing a positive return, but Wall Street likes SV more than HW so the content spend mania has been propped up short term.   

I think things will level out here in the order of 1-3 years.

Edited by DS2HaterLegion Confirmed
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I love Stranger Things, but all this money could've been put to so much better use. There is SO MUCH STUFF getting cancelled on Netflix, so many good animated projects will never see the light of day now. People would watch Stranger Things anyway, it really doesn't need that budget.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but looks like $33m true Friday right now.  Won't be shocked if it goes up.  

Excellent. 52M+ OD is awesome already.

The power of Cruise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but looks like $33m true Friday right now.  Won't be shocked if it goes up.  

Noice.

What about the Burgers?

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think you can compare Top Gun to ET, Ghostbusters or BTTF because apart from ET, the rest had sequels. 

Top Gun's success is likely going to see more legacy sequels being greenlit. I wonder if 20th Century Studios would consider doing a third Speed film with Keanu and Sandra Bullock. There's a number of directors who could make a decent Speed film.

Speed 3 w/ each of them would be dope. 

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

if that rogue squadron movie ever gets made between this and Devotion there's one guy who keeps doing plane movies. kathleen this is the way to save your franchise.

Had MIDWAY been a serious, major film, it would have had huge potential.

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

One thing that’s been completely underplayed by me and others in the build up to this….

younger generations crave being part of a conversation.  Maverick has been like a whirlwind this past week or so, and the youngsters know it’s a big deal and how good it’s meant to be. Regardless of their relationship to the original, they are not going to be left out in the cold on this. 

i suspect most were going anyway at some point, but the reaction to the film has whipped things into a frenzy. This is a major event now on all sides. You wouldn’t have the kind of massive success this is going to have this weekend without younger moviegoers showing up in mega droves. 

I think the boost from an 80 to a 95 on RT is massive when it comes getting people with casual interest to the theater. 

TG is truly the history of the year so far (along with EEAAO) 

But it's nice seeing DS2 finally recovering a bit, it can reach 377M by Monday, which probably locks +400M finish. Still not a great run, but it's not awful too like the 375M finish some expect in the first days.

Top Gun honestly has a strong shot at the summer crown now since staying power is likely to be strong given the older demographics that make up its main target audience and the fact there's little in the way of competition aimed directly at that crowd all season long aside from Elvis and perhaps Bullet Train.