IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

Monday numbers are in, quite the jump for Jim Knopf:

#1 Ready Player One 62.5k

#2 Jim Knopf 52.5k

#3 A Quiet Place 47.5k

#4 Blockers 42.5k

#5 Lady Bird 35k (with previews)

As reported on insidekino, one of only seven weekends since 1987 on which the top 10 had less than 300k admissions. Five out of those seven happened during a big football tournament, making this the second worst non-football-tournament weekend and worst weekend for the first five months of any year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

Monday numbers are in, quite the jump for Jim Knopf:

#1 Ready Player One 62.5k

#2 Jim Knopf 52.5k

#3 A Quiet Place 47.5k

#4 Blockers 42.5k

#5 Lady Bird 35k (with previews)

As reported on insidekino, one of only seven weekends since 1987 on which the top 10 had less than 300k admissions. Five out of those seven happened during a big football tournament, making this the second worst non-football-tournament weekend and worst weekend for the first five months of any year.

Better than it first looked, still absolutely horrible. The worst weekend since the WM 2010.

And the worse non WM weekend was 1991 the first week in July...

The highest weekend ever for the Top 10 was I think the second Weekend of the Fellowship of the Ring with 3,978,866 so 13.84 times as many admissions sold.

Germany's Top movies last weekend:

title

admissions

th.

PTA

total adm.

total €

drop

week

Ready Player One

Jim Knopf & Lukas, …

A Quiet Place

Blockers

Lady Bird

-

Peter Rabbit

3 Tage in Quiberon

Black Panther

Again, only releases >10k admissions … so sad. Those PTAs are more frightening than many a horror release and more depressing than a Lars von Trier movie …

Next weekend: With Avengers: Infinity War, we have it guaranteed that business is going to pick up some pace … but with weather continuing as fine as it is, the question is how high it can go. Can it become the first MCU movie to reach blockbuster status? It seems hard to believe with business as depressed as atm, but maybe the vacuum works to the Avengers' advantage. A result of >700k OW (including midnights) would be nice! Alongside the Avengers, there are a lot of smaller releases, among them Early Man which will probably get burned but which is the one I'm most interested in this weekend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manny1234 said:

Wow Black Panther the only in the top 8 to have a drop below 50 percent, getting the pre-IW boost.

weeeeell, 10k admissions per weekend in a country with 80mil inhabitants - I'd say there's very little boost factor :D

But Panther did much better than I thought, 1,7mil total by now are excellent - in a year like this, it might make end up in the year's Top10, that's something very few MCU titles managed to achieve.

btw, presales for Infinity War are good but not stellar ... I'd say chances of going over 700k are good and 800k might be possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

weeeeell, 10k admissions per weekend in a country with 80mil inhabitants - I'd say there's very little boost factor :D

But Panther did much better than I thought, 1,7mil total by now are excellent - in a year like this, it might make end up in the year's Top10, that's something very few MCU titles managed to achieve.

btw, presales for Infinity War are good but not stellar ... I'd say chances of going over 700k are good and 800k might be possible.

Don't forget the 8m+ peeps of Austria ;) 

Yep, Age of Ultron had a 700k OW, going with the growing popularity of the MCU movies I'd say IW will go higher but with overall business as depressed as it is atm that seems premature. Bit I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 800k+, theaters sure can use the business. Last weekend was so bad most should have stayed shut ...

btw, the top 5 MCU movies in Germany were:

GotG2 - 2,5mil admissions

Avengers2 - 2,4mil

Avengers1 - 2,3mil

IronMan3 - 1,9mil

GotG1 - 1,8mil

(Deadpool: 2,7mil, just as a comparison - comedy is often a winner in Germany)

I'd say IW has a very good chance at becoming the highest-grossing MCU movie here (can't go wrong with GotG involved as the above numbers indicate), but I wouldn't bet on it reaching the 3mil mark for blockbuster status.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tower said:

Why would you add Austria? 

That's a separate market.

I'm confused, I though the numbers in this thread were for Germany and Austria combined? As per the title of the thread?

have I been mistaken for over a year

7 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I'm confused, I though the numbers in this thread were for Germany and Austria combined? As per the title of the thread?

Most of the numbers are for Germany only - Industrious sometimes posts Austrian numbers. He tells if they are though :)

Usually, if you want the combined numbers, just take Germany's number x 1,15 for international releases, (15% of Germany is my rule of thumb for Austria). Sadly, Rentrak's Austrian numbers are always a few weeks late so if I really wanted to do an accurate combined list it would come much too late to be of any interest. I often do mention if Austria's numbers deviate much from my 15% rule, and strong Austrian releases are also mentioned (usually they sell very little tickets in Germany).

IW opens tomorow in 700 cinemas in Germany. AOU opened in 500 due to a boycott by cinemas.

1 709.614   --- 500 1.419   1 AOU
1 749.797   --- 686 1.092   1 GOTG2

Would be really frustrating if IW couldn't top those...

Edited by Aristis

6 hours ago, feasby007 said:

In addition to what the other have already written: the title refers to Germany's and Austria's numbers both getting posted in this topic, as the two markets have similar tastes and are the only completely German-speaking markets that exist. And with Austria on its own being a pretty small market, it makes more sense to simply list the numbers here as well, as a whole topic just for such a small market would probably be overkill. It doesn't mean that the markets get counted together like the USA+Canada in the domestic one.

Edited by George Parr

19 hours ago, Aristis said:

Pretty sure TP will be above 11€ for AIW. I think it will do at least $9M, but should do $10M+...

It'll have a huge amount of the weekend admissions :o...

How many films have a higher one apart from 

TFA 11.32€

RO 11.23€

TLJ 11.78€

Probably something like 75%. I hope most movies stay flat or manage to increase.