IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

4 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Keep in mind, that the low opening could have something to do with Universal not allowing 2D showings for the movie. 

Jurassic World is a family driven film with cross-generational appeal, if a family went to cinema in 4, wow! That expensive ticket price will surely drive people away! That is not even counting pop-corn !

10 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Germany Cinema is dying atm, man nothing is doing good buisness this year. (Maybe IW, still 3M isn't that big and Fifty shade)

Its been on a downward trend since 2012, which was the last really massive year for movies here. I do think it has to do with the fact that Germans mostly dont care about SH movies, which are dominating the rest of the world and genereally franchise fatigue. Plus, german movies themselves (mostly) suck hard and are for the most part embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

while we're in crybaby mode, another bit of news from Austria: May numbers are in and while not the worst, it's the second-worst May in recent history. After the likewise bad April, and with Solo and JW2 underperforming and the World Cup on the horizon, well ... we always knew 2018 was going to be a tough year, but those are simply sad numbers 🤕

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its been on a downward trend since 2012, which was the last really massive year for movies here. I do think it has to do with the fact that Germans mostly dont care about SH movies, which are dominating the rest of the world and genereally franchise fatigue. Plus, german movies themselves (mostly) suck hard and are for the most part embarrassing.

2015 was good too, actually even better than 2012.

But what those two years have in common are a few really big movies.

2012 / 2015

ZBF (9.2M) / TFA (9.1M)

Skyfall (7.8M) / FG2 (7.7M)

Ice Age 4 (6.7M) / Spectre (7.1M)

Hobbit (6.7M) / Minions (6.9M)

So 30.4M / 30.8M

What is really crazy is the fact that 2018 might be the the second year this decade without a 4M admissions movie, the other one is 2016 (RO #1 3994275 so RO fell short by just 5725 arm.)

I have no idea if that ever happened before.

If Re-Issues aren't counted 1980 would be the only other one I was able to find (Aristocats Re-Issue 4.4M and normal releases The Supercop 3.87M and ESB 3.86M).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, George Parr said:

New trend is up at insidekino:

#1 Jurassic World 485k/550k with Wednesday

#2/#3 Deadpool 2 and Solo with 125k each

#4 Infinity War 30k

#5 Truth or Dare 25k

Drops:

DP2: -50%

Solo: -57%

IW: -61.5%

TOD: -47%

Solo has a chance to finally reach the admissions count of Rogue Ones..

Opening Weekend!

And € and $

JW: €5.65M (€6.41M) ≈ $6.66M ($7.56M)

Solo €1.375M≈$1.62M (Total: ~11M€≈$13M)

DP2: €1.175M≈$1.38M

IW: €0.32M≈$0.375M

ToD: €0.22M≈$0.26M

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

problem is, with the World Cup starting, there's no way good weather can be balanced by rain next weekend ... goodbye another blockbuster 🙁

Germany playing on Sunday next weekend is the biggest threat. On the plus side, JW is practically the only big blockbuster playing for the next few weeks - maybe it will be able to have not-awful holds and still get a respectable total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndustriousAngel said:

yep but 3mil total are already dead at this point and frankly, with that kind of opening, even 2mil would come as a positive surprise.

Which generally is kinda sad for the german market (and Austria). We could really need a breakout hit soon. But looking at the slate for the rest of 2018...things dont look all that good. 2019 will be way bigger i hope.

I fully agree with what Brainbug and others said here to the German cinema disinterest. And unfortunately I also don't think that will change fundamentally soon. But at least to me the later summer, autumn and winter of 2018 look more promising from several released movies like M:I 6, The Equalizer 2, maybe The Meg and The Predator, Mowgli, several horror films e.g. The Nun, Halloween, Slender Man and so on. Maybe people then have had enough sunshine and football and want some variety. I wasn't in theaters for a long time now (in some movies I just had no interest, others had too mediocre reviews from critics or fans, the good weather...) but I know at least 5, more like 10, interesting movies I will watch in theaters for sure in the following months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The weather as of late seems to be great over the weekend more often than not in Germany and England. 

Yeah, especially in the northern parts of Germany.

We didn't have any significant amount of rain in the last six weeks and it often was really hot (like 5mm over 6 weeks compared to ~90mm which would have been normal.)

We have normally like 3 days a year over 30°C, this year we already had 7! 

• Like 1

So well yeah, a friend of mine who works at my nearest cinema just texted me that they indeed had the best Friday for a single movie since The Last Jedi and that Sat looks very strong too.

Crazy overperformance here then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also found only 3D shows in munich :(. Still undecided if I should watch it or not...

From what I remember the later autumn and winter weather of 2017 was pretty terrible in Bavaria and Saxony with very little sunshine. Therefor the summers in Bavaria have become better for two or three years now. But the summers before were often very erratically so it's no wonder people don't bank on it and do as much as possible outdoor.

By the way, the WM-buzz seems still a bit low, no? But that will probably change fast.