6 5 Fünf Freunde 2 Constantin $ 877.611 -34,5 6.613.164 4
7 4 Schlussmacher Fox $ 850.495 -45,6 25.067.009 7
8 N A Haunted House Falcom $ 585.663 - 585.663 1
9 9 Lincoln Fox $ 480.502 -25,1 4.989.049 5
10 6 Parker Constantin $ 468.792 -49,2 3.444.607 3
11 7 Finding Nemo 3D Disney $ 428.162 -39,4 1.411.942 2
12 10 The Hobbit 1 WB $ 333.027 -44,1 101.555.083 11
13 8 Flight Constantin $ 324.861 -52,7 7.041.888 5

Again, DH5 was in front $-wise while Kokowääh2 led in admissions. Decent debut from LesMis, let's see how it holds (musicals tend to have good multipliers). After a poor start, Lincoln has developed some beautiful legs.

This weekend, two big openers: "Hänsel and Gretel" - filmed in Germany, so maybe more interest here than elsewhere - and "3096 Tage", the dramatisation of the Kampusch abduction case, which should at least have a big opening since it's got tons of media coverage. Plus "Parental Guidance" on a smaller scale. With interest in holdovers getting lower, I'ts possible that we have two new leaders this weekend, with 3096 on #1; Parental Guidance should at least enter the Top10.

Hansel&Gretel will win the weekend easily, but with a Friday trend of 350k for the weekend it might miss 1mil admissions total.

Fingers crossed it 'makes' as much as the predicted 350k admissions (InsideKino?)

=> just came back from the sadly nearly empty cinema, only 11 visitors/viewers in an ~ 150 seat room = 18:00 starting time might have been too early for the 'at least 16y old' crowd.

The trailer for the 3096 movie didn't animate me to watch the movie, one of my 'pupils' - who was with me and my son in the cinema too - will watch it.

afaik, 3096 has a lot of school shows which might push weekday admissions, though not gross (at my theater, school shows are about €3,50 per seat). But I was surprised how low the attendance was given the 360° media coverage. H&G is your typical weekend evening popcorn flick, 20:00 shows are not sold out but heavily attended, everything earlier or later is a tough sell. Even The Hobbit sold out only shows between 19:00 and 20:30.

Hi I am new here, I hope it is o.K. to ask the following questions:

- where do you find the Germany + Austria Top 13 Feb  14 - 17 list?

- Les Miserables: will the numbers of the pre-screening (during the Berlin Filmfestival) be shown as weekend Feb 21 - 24 results or how will they show the small release numbers instead?

Have a nice day

Welcome to the forums :)

afaik, 3096 has a lot of school shows which might push weekday admissions....

.... typical weekend evening popcorn flick, 20:00 shows are not sold out but heavily attended, everything earlier or later is a tough sell

1. School shows? :bulgingeyes:  Wow, I am a bit surprised. I doubt 'my' school would choose it (as they discuss it with the pupils = I doubt our pupils would majority vote for it). They do 'difficult' themes, especially vs violence, neo-nazis or similar.

2. Comprehensible.

I think I never really was aware at which time I went to the cinemas in my past, but will now be more aware of it.

Welcome to the forums :)

Thank You very much :hug:

Top 5 in the Saturday trend from insidekino:H&G: 375k admissionsKokowääh2: 210kDH5: 175kDU and 3096 with about 150k eachThe story here is Django - 150k after 155k last week would be insane in week 7. This film is really a monster in Germany and Austria.

Could you translate that to € or $ estimates? Would like to know how H&G is doing in a new territory.

Yep, "ok" is what I would call it. This opening weekend is higher than the "Bothers Grimm" total, and higher than the OW of  "Snow White & Thor" (which did nearly a 4x multiplier btw). The low budget is what maks H&G a success in my eyes (compare that to the current  opening of BeanstalkJack in NA; that opening would be ok if it wasn't for the ridiculous budget).

• Like 1

The movie I think might have similar fans is Van Helsing 2004 => it had 964.002 viewers at the openeing weekend => nearly $9 Million. That places it on #83 of all time Opening Weekends in Germany (tickets numbers).

Germany has sometimes recognisable higher Opening Weekends, usually if a well known franchise is already established. Highest ticket numbers at Opening Weekends had some of the Harry Potter movies => record holder is still - with nearly 2.6 million viewers - Harry Potter 1 => exchange rate... in 2001 $18,520,294 (Total Gross $67,802,864).

Highest Opening Weekend =/= Total Gross predictions and ticket numbers not always matching the money details, see Avatar's Total of $157,564,785 or highest result for an Opening Weekend see LotR's The Return of the King = Opening with over $30 Million. Van Helsing OW climbes here up to #61.

As you seem to be an Avengers fan:

Avengers Opening Weekend $8,444,708 (Total Gross $30,828,359)

Thor (very well known name here, not so much the Marvel character) $8,690,043 (Total Gross $18,370989)

Captain America $1,911,675 (Total Gross $4,872,496)

Iron Man $3,444,559 (Total Gross $8,560,475)

Iron Man 2 $3,223,268 (Total Gross $9,254,348)

not Marvel Studio examples:

X-Men 2 $7,991,185 (Total Gross $15,698,891)

X-Men First Class $2,339,705 (Total Gross $7,048,582)

Wolverine Origins $3,999,170 (Total Gross $9,633,797)

X-Men 1 and 3 Totals ~ $12 Million

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for pointing out VanHelsing - didn't look that up but it's a really nice comparison. The thing is that vanHelsing ended up with only a 2x multiplier in Germany which is really incredibly low, even for an action flick. Must have had a monstrous marketing campaign and absolutely toxic WOM. H&G otoh seems to be doing ok WOM-wise, no visible dropoff Sat and Sun, so I expect at least a 3x multiplier, hopefully more.

One thing about this weekend: In many theaters, Saturday evening the biggest screens were taken by "Parsifal" from the Met-live program, starting at 6pm, so weekend results overall may seem a bit weak but my theater was really packed Saturday. This might also explain the drop Les Misérables seems to be headed for, I guess the target demo overlaps quite a bit; I would have thought it might profit more from the Oscar.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1

Yep, "ok" is what I would call it. This opening weekend is higher than the "Bothers Grimm" total, and higher than the OW of  "Snow White & Thor" (which did nearly a 4x multiplier btw). The low budget is what maks H&G a success in my eyes (compare that to the current  opening of BeanstalkJack in NA; that opening would be ok if it wasn't for the ridiculous budget).

Very true. Considering H&G's budget, the amount is a pleasant surprise. It's whole OS run has actually been fun to track for such a critically panned movie.

H&G got an 'at-least-16 years-old-label' (for the US = that means at least, it is not a recommendation) and got here some very unsuited for the 16 year old starting times, some cinemas (me = countryside) have even only / mostly a after 22:00 o'clock (o'clock in the evening) starting time, no chance for still pupils or car-less teenagers to watch it beside probably Friday and Saturday.

As the movie didn't get a FSK label till a few days before the premiere here (I checked the official side e.g. 1 week before, still no label) and a lot of people I know expected an 'at-least-18 year-old-label' => it might have influenced the offered times for it's 1st week. Curious to see if they add / change some times in the 2nd week.

Van Helsing got an 'at-least-12 year-old-label', that might also have helped to get some more viewers in principle as an average FSK16 might get => I think it got even worse WOM if not even the 12year old didn't accept it. I laughed about it...

(btw FSK12 = the only label where many cinemas allow younger viewers if accomanied by one parent (depending on the movie and the cinema's owner. Younger means 'at-least-6 years-old' plus one parent).

yep, it's 16 in Austria too, but it's playing in the afternoon too, and frankly, controls aren't too strict - after all, it's only a recommendation. I remember taking my son and a friend of his to "Sin City", they were 14 then, and it was no problem at all, we were just warned that there would be very graphic violence.

wow, here the cinema owner could get in trouble for that....

As my son always looked older as he is/was I wasn't that trained to look out for it, but each time I took some other teen with me (and they were near the restriction age) we got 'carded'. Including last Friday for H&G. I do not know if they are similar strict in a bigger city, but in the cities with 15.000 to 35.000 around here they are.

Edited by terrestrial

Well, in Austria FSK does not apply, here we have recommendations which often are more lenient than the FSK ones - many FSK16 films are recommended "ab 14" in Austria (but H&G is 16). It's even more complicated since the single regions can release their own recommendations, so a film labeled "ab 12" in Vienna  might get "ab 14" here in Tyrol, but since those are only recommendations anyway, that's just rules to keep some bureaucrats occupied from doing greater harm elsewhere I guess.