Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

Yep, getting Leo in your own movie cost at least 35 million.  And snow cost at least 100 million.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if the weather doesn't cooperate it means production delays and possibly moving locations a lot.

Just the fact of shooting the movie chronogically added 7 millions to the budget and the brand new Alexa 65 camera used in the exterior settings is so expensive to afford that they rent it for the shooting that went over schedule.You add the exterior settings (and the director) is a pain in the ass to deal with and Leo to the mix. Yeah, 10 million budget is impossible to keep in check.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

Apparently the set is hell from everything I'm reading, Inarritu is biting everyone head off.

Going $40m over budget can do that.

Edit: Scratch  that - it's a rumored jump from $60m - $135m. So $75m - which is more than 120% over budget.  Impressive.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just the fact of shooting the movie chronogically added 7 millions to the budget and the brand new Alexa 65 camera used in the exterior settings is so expensive to afford that they rent it for the shooting that went over schedule.You add the exterior settings (and the director) is a pain in the ass to deal with and Leo to the mix. Yeah, 10 million budget is impossible to keep in check.

They'd rent the cameras regardless of brand or type -- no production buys cameras. But those Alexas are beasts -- huge, heavy, and they generate a ton of data. All that means money.

They'd rent the cameras regardless of brand or type -- no production buys cameras. But those Alexas are beasts -- huge, heavy, and they generate a ton of data. All that means money.

I remember Fincher arguing he s gone full digital (among other reasons) that you could shoot more without worrying about the cost of film stock.

• Like 1

This means that there are legendary cameras like there are legendary instruments ?

I never thought about this, the "no production buys cameras" part.

I remember Fincher arguing he s gone full digital (among other reasons) that you could shoot more without worrying about the cost of film stock.

Film stock is never much of an issue for a studio production. The cost of film is basically offset by the cost of a DIT tech and all the hard drives/backups to store all the data. The big benefits of digital are long, long takes and the ability to very quickly reset/continue without losing time.

This means that there are legendary cameras like there are legendary instruments ?

I never thought about this, the "no production buys cameras" part.

Cameras are really expensive. The RED cameras are considered cheap and they still run around 60-80k when configured with all the options you need (that figure doesn't include lenses). A lens package can cost as much as a camera or more, and each production will be using different cameras and/or lenses depending on the preferences of the director and cinematographer. So it doesn't really make sense for the production company to own the equipment. You rent the gear you need on a daily or weekly basis (in fact, you do this for literally everything, from lights to trucks to dollies and grip equipment to printers and office computers).

Arri is one of the best-known and best-regarded camera companies in the world, and their workhorse digital camera (the ALEXA) is one of the most-used. (Its main competitor is the RED Epic.) But Arri just developed essentially a "digital 70mm camera" (well, more like a digital VistaVision camera) with a huge aperture -- the ALEXA-65 -- in an effort to make the digital equivalent of the 70mm Ultra-Panavision cameras of the 50s and 60s that were used on so many epic movies. But like those famous cameras, the ALEXA-65 is big, heavy, and costs a fortune. They run a few hundred thousand or so to buy. I think this is the first studio production to be using them.

• Like 8

If anyone can take a movie like this to solid box office numbers, it's Leo. I mean...Great Gatsby made solid numbers.

This is more outside the box but you know, sometimes, Hollywood makes movies that are less about numbers and more about art and ego. Yes, ego. Look at this masterpiece I made!

And it doesn't bother me one bit...when that means great auteurs get to play in the bigger budget space. To hell with the financials.

• Like 1