Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

They'd rent the cameras regardless of brand or type -- no production buys cameras. But those Alexas are beasts -- huge, heavy, and they generate a ton of data. All that means money.

I know, I worded that poorly, what I actually meant is they rent several of them and since one is expensive, renting several can skyrocket the budget.

• Like 1

Leo's last three movies all had budgets over $100M and they did fine at the box office. He's a reliable draw.

That being said, I'm still extremely sceptical about this 135M.

yea i doubt its 135 it was origianlly 60 million when started and then kept adding some mils cuz of delays so i think its around 80-90 but no way its 135

yea i doubt its 135 it was origianlly 60 million when started and then kept adding some mils cuz of delays so i think its around 80-90 but no way its 135

Given that every movie costs way more than anyone thinks...if they said 60 originally, it was probably 80.

So 135? Sure, why not.

• Like 1

Given that every movie costs way more than anyone thinks...if they said 60 originally, it was probably 80.

So 135? Sure, why not.

even if it is , i doubt fox loses much money even if they do so i doubt they care and are trying to make the movie as good as possible. lol

Edited by takerowns

even if it is , i doubt fox loses much moeny even if they do so i doubt they care

It's a prestige picture, so yeah, I doubt they do either. Movie is gonna get nominated up the ass.

And it's not going to be a financial disaster. It'll still manage 50m worst case...Leo can sell this type of shit.

It's a prestige picture, so yeah, I doubt they do either. Movie is gonna get nominated up the ass.

And it's not going to be a financial disaster. It'll still manage 50m worst case...Leo can sell this type of shit.

yea since these studios are so rich that 135 mil doesnt mean much since they know that they are gonna get most of it back and if not more

yea since these studios are so rich that 135 mil doesnt mean much since they know that they are gonna get most of it back and if not more

Well, I mean, not exactly that...movies aren't exactly a high margin business and most movies lose money.

And with a. Movie like this, the potential profit is limited since a guy like Leo is, if your film IS profitable, going to take an enormous chunk of your profit.

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio as early 19th century explorer Hugh Glass, Revenant went into production in September and was supposed to wrap in March. But cameras still will be rolling into August as the budget has climbed well past $95 million, with insiders predicting it will reach or exceed $135 million. Crewmembers say they have seen huge turnover, including many who were fired and others who quit. They say the behind-the-scenes drama led Inarritu to bar producer Jim Skotchdopole, who worked with him on Birdman, from the set.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-leonardo-dicaprios-revenant-shoot-810290?facebook_20150722

The filming schedule will be 11 months long. It has gone over schedule by 5 months.   They have changed filming  from Canada to Argentina  mid shoot.  It's very easy to believe that the budget has skyrocketed from $60 - $135m. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Irrarritu: "Look, if you lose some lives on set, you've gotta be prepared for it. That's the job of the director. (knock on the door as assistant whispers in ear) Oh, the key grip died? Well, you keep pushing. Once you see the end result, you'll understand.

• Like 9

This feels like a modern-day Heaven's Gate, and part of me thinks it won't be ready for awards season. Fox better hope this film plays well outside of Oscar buffs and arthouse audiences, otherwise this could destroy Inarritu's career.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

This feels like a modern-day Heaven's Gate, and part of me thinks it won't be ready for awards season. Fox better hope this film plays well outside of Oscar buffs and arthouse audiences, otherwise this could destroy Inarritu's career.

Reach for the stars!

• Like 1

I don't think it's even possible for a modern studio movie to be as destructive for the careers of the people at the top of a movie like heaven's gate was.

Cutthroat Island for Geena Davis and Matthew Modine. Renny Harlin somehow survived by a thread, though his career was never the same.

that was twenty years ago! not really what I was thinking when I said "modern" also long kiss goodnight fucking rules.

13th Warrior from 99 basically mortally wounded John McTiernan (his legal troubles were the final coffin nail)