Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

I thought that was gonna be with IMAX's digital cameras.

It's beyond me, but it looks like some kind of hybrid with IMAX based on the Alexa-65 system. 

ARRI has announced a collaboration with IMAX to develop an ALEXA IMAX camera based on their 65mm camera platform. The ALEXA 65 offers 6K resolutions, and Marvel is looking to use the system for select action sequences of Captain America: Civil War.

As such, they’ve turned to ARRI to develop a third-party IMAX option to fill in the gaps. How ARRI is going to upscale the ALEXA 65 into an IMAX camera for Captain America: Civil War is will be a matter of secret sauce on the part of IMAX to take the 65mm digital files and upscale them to the IMAX format.

http://news.doddleme.com/equipment/nab-2015-arri-announces-development-of-alexa-imax-camera/

Under the terms of the memorandum of understanding, Imax and Arri will be entering a joint development effort to customize the Alexa 65 – Arri’s new large-format 65mm camera, lens and workflow system – for use in Imax productions. The Russos tested the Alexa while shooting “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and were impressed with its results.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/captain-america-civil-war-first-to-use-new-imaxarri-2d-camera-exclusive-1201470965/

Edited by TalismanRing

Are digital IMAX cameras capable of capturing footage to fill up real IMAX screens or are they still slimmed down?

They'll fill a reasonable amount of the screen (really, that just comes down to how much you want to blow up the image during projection). Are they equal to a nice traditional IMAX presentation? No.

• Like 1

A sight indeed.

But ok honesty time.

Babel?

Birdman?

Two movies I truly respect the craft but, admittedly...I didn't really enjoy them.

I hope this one bucks that trend.

The movie seems completely different from anything he s done so far so, the trailer looks really promising, at least visually.

And Will Fucking Poulter, I mean, I love this man, Leo is just a by standard in this one.

I give myself a 60% chance of thinking "why am I not watching MMFR instead" at least once during the film.

Well, that's basically every movie this year.

If you're Tele, even Star Wars. Even Star Wars.

And goddamit, on that...Tele might be right.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Well, that's basically every movie this year.

If you're Tele, even Star Wars. Even Star Wars.

And goddamit, on that...Tele might be right.

Star Wars has thinks that Valhalla can't provide,light sabers, BB-8, stormtroopers, tie Fighters little things like that ...

@TheInSneider

Reading between the lines of festival reviews, it sounds like The Academy can give DiCaprio the Oscar now for THE REVENANT.

They are referring to Redmayne's somewhat tepid response but lol. Fassbender is now the front runner and Redmayne's is very much in contention. Leo might not even get a nom.

I hate the Leo zeitgeist.