Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/roma-mexico-theates-netflix-1203087089/

Variety wrote about Roma's success in the country, it keeps playing at 96 screens across Mexico.

Something they didn't mentioned is that Netflix has made an interesting idea: movable theatres to take the movie to small towns and communities. 

Something like this:

What's also interesting is that many of tha places where the movie is being shown the prices are incredibly low and some shows are even being free -like the one in ex-presidential residence- which shows that beyond trying to collect BO what Netflix wants is make the movie as loud as they can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Aquaman

• Opening on a non-traditional Thursday, Mexico debuted to an estimated Ps 27.9m ($1.4m), including previews, on 3,517 screens with a 66% share of the top five films.

Not comparable to most of SH titles. Below Ragnarok and Homecoming opening days -both on thursday too- but it's on par with The Last Jedi. 

I would say  $135M-$145M ($6.6M-$7.1M USD) for the 4-Day, Canelo's fight and soccer are hurting both their saturday and sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Not comparable to most of SH titles. Below Ragnarok and Homecoming opening days -both on thursday too- but it's on par with The Last Jedi. 

I would say  $135M-$145M ($6.6M-$7.1M USD) for the 4-Day, Canelo's fight and soccer are hurting both their saturday and sunday.

Is it under performing in Mexico compared to other DC films~?

43 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Is it under performing in Mexico compared to other DC films~?

It does is quite underwhelming, 3-Day should finish lower than any other DCU movie but Man of Steel.

Not blaming buzz but is really a busy weekend in terms of other entertainment offer. Next week is going to be more important as kids go out of school, no sports offer and more people on streets due to Christmas shopping.

44 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

It does is quite underwhelming, 3-Day should finish lower than any other DCU movie but Man of Steel.

Not blaming buzz but is really a busy weekend in terms of other entertainment offer. Next week is going to be more important as kids go out of school, no sports offer and more people on streets due to Christmas shopping.

I mean it has more competition i guess i didnt know DC Movies actually did quite well there but lets wait and see, at least Opening work. 

Edited by Wotad

11 hours ago, noname said:

Apparently, Disney/Fox merger in Mexico is creating concerns about cable sports:

Should pass regulation, but i do wonder how much of Fox's TV content they'll be forced to exclude from the deal. Besides from ESPN and Fox Sports only another chain offers as much sports content as them.

They'll be forced to resign from other channels, mostly of movies/shows since those ones are concentrated between Time Warner, Fox and Televisa (local) and cable/satellite TV would have a considerable increase on prices.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

$1.6M friday for Aquaman. Updating 4-Day weekend estimate to $140M-$150M ($7M-$7.5M USD). Could surprise and reach $160M but see it hard, would need a better internal multi than Wonder Woman but that's very difficult.

im shocked this film could make less than WW in places like Mexico. 

1 hour ago, Carlangonz said:

Yup, could second lowest DCEU grosser only above Man of Steel. We'll see how it legs.

Is that mainly due to competition? in alot of over sea's markets its performing above all other dc films. 

Edited by Wotad

20 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Is that mainly due to competition? in alot of over sea's markets its performing above all other dc films. 

Hype isn't that big and people is been distracted with other things so there isn't any rush factor to see it. Sure, it has their audience but doesn't seem like a movie that is urgent to see. Really isn't something shocking, earlier i mentioned that could finish below other 2018's 4Q titles as Bohemian Rhapsody and The Nun.

Also, holidays hasn't started yet so it should leg good across them but not expecting anything extraordinary as it loses 1/4 of its screens this wednesday and close to 1/2 of them by christmas.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Hype isn't that big and people is been distracted with other things so there isn't any rush factor to see it. Sure, it has their audience but doesn't seem like a movie that is urgent to see. Really isn't something shocking, earlier i mentioned that could finish below other 2018's 4Q titles as Bohemian Rhapsody and The Nun.

Also, holidays hasn't started yet so it should leg good across them but not expecting anything extraordinary as it loses 1/4 of its screens this wednesday and close to 1/2 of them by christmas.

Damn that sucks , looks like they picked a bad time for Mexico If its losing its screens this fast its mostly due to hard competition there. 

9 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Mexico is the country with the most disappointing numbers for Aquaman so far, I hope at least it has better legs than the average for superhero movies (if those  events really messed up a bit the box office this weekend).

UK's numbers are worrying as well.

But its doing really well in Asia(even when we exclude China).

10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

UK's numbers are worrying as well.

But its doing really well in Asia(even when we exclude China).

I know, but this was expected (for me) because Wonder Woman OW was also not great in  UK, Aquaman OW will be similar to Wonder Woman here.

Aquaman is doing very well here in Brazil, it will be one of the biggest openings ever for a solo superhero  movie, maybe it can be even the biggest.

17 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

I know, but this was expected (for me) because Wonder Woman OW was also not great in  UK, Aquaman OW will be similar to Wonder Woman here.

Aquaman is doing very well here in Brazil, it will be one of the biggest openings ever for a solo superhero  movie, maybe it can be even the biggest.

Aquaman could still end up at 30 million in UK its going to under perform alot more in mexico.