Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

BOX OFFICE 2012 (FOR THE MOMENT)1.The Avengers : $61.7m2.Ice Age 4 : $46.8m3.The Dark Knight Rises : $31.8m4.The Amazing Spiderman : $28.7m5.Madagascar 3 : $25.9m6.Brave : $21.6m7.Wrath of the Titans : $17.8m8.Snow White & The Huntsman : $16.1m9.MIB 3 : $16m10.The Hunger Games : $13.9mAn impressive year for Mexico!

• Like 1

BOX OFFICE 2012 (FOR THE MOMENT)1.The Avengers : $61.7m2.Ice Age 4 : $46.8m3.The Dark Knight Rises : $31.8m4.The Amazing Spiderman : $28.7m5.Madagascar 3 : $25.9m6.Brave : $21.6m7.Wrath of the Titans : $17.8m8.Snow White & The Huntsman : $16.1m9.MIB 3 : $16m10.The Hunger Games : $13.9mAn impressive year for Mexico!

Very true. Top 20's 2012 (378 million) has nearly reached Top 20's 2011 (392 million) and there are still 3 months till the end of the year. Just amazing
  • Like 1

Very true. Top 20's 2012 (378 million) has nearly reached Top 20's 2011 (392 million) and there are still 3 months till the end of the year. Just amazing

Woah! In 2011 Mexico grossed about the same than Spain/Italy, we'll be near the billion dollar mark in 2012 I guess, maybe beyond $1B.

Woah! In 2011 Mexico grossed about the same than Spain/Italy, we'll be near the billion dollar mark in 2012 I guess, maybe beyond $1B.

That seems to be the trend. I like to look at top yearly list of each country and a general vision about that lists can give very good information about the market. Spain or Italy still have more "mid-level" movies than Mexico (Both Spain and Italy have already about 90 movies over 1 million this year meanwhile Mexico has still not reached 80), but Mexico's blockbusters are higher by far (Mexico has 6 movies over 20 million this year. Italy has 3 and Spain has only 2)

That seems to be the trend. I like to look at top yearly list of each country and a general vision about that lists can give very good information about the market. Spain or Italy still have more "mid-level" movies than Mexico (Both Spain and Italy have already about 90 movies over 1 million this year meanwhile Mexico has still not reached 80), but Mexico's blockbusters are higher by far (Mexico has 6 movies over 20 million this year. Italy has 3 and Spain has only 2)

Mexico and Brazil will pass Germany,UK and France in the long run, they've a young population and they're really more populated, they could pass Russia as well because Russia's population is declining and ageing.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure Mexico and Brazil have passed all European countries in admissions, with the exception of France and th UK. But then they also have significantly larger populations, so it was going to happen eventually.

Both have a much larger population. Brazil has 193 million and Mexico, 112. The biggest European countries are Germany with 82 million, France (66), UK (61) and Italy (60).
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure Mexico and Brazil have passed all European countries in admissions, with the exception of France and th UK. But then they also have significantly larger populations, so it was going to happen eventually.

Mexico in 2011 = 175 million admissions, as much as UK, and less than France (216m), but this year Mexico could pass France.Brazil has less admissions than Mexico, around 150m in 2011.

No local film?

I'm not sure they have a strong local market, and it's pretty normal to have a Hollywood domination there, Mexico is the neighbor of the US, the ties are very strong and deep.

This. Mexico's local movies were a thing of the past. It's strictly Hollywood now.