Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

7 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Scorsese is a great. Goodfellas is a top five fave for me. He’s badass. He knows a zillion things about movies. He has every right to care about the future. 
Also, he’s an old guy who doesn’t like newer genres. That’s not a big deal. I used to react like it was. 

What do you mean he doesn't like "newer" genres? He actively produces films of all genres, voiced a role in an animated movie, and currently works with young filmmakers like Ben Wheatley, Safdie Bros and Ari Aster. He made a 3D movie lol.

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Well Spielberg had already kind of bust that door open with Jaws. I think Lucas just managed to commercialize to a degree that their friends felt uncomfortable with and they even said made their lives more difficult as filmmakers. lol again if Scorsese is saying that about his own friend's work, clearly its nothing personal when he says that about superhero movies. 

Spielberg was never really part of the "American New Wave" of directors the way that Lucas was.

Spielberg never got into Indie film making after "Amblin" (which was his project to get his degree in filmkaing). He preferred to go straight to working for the big studios in television..while the new wave nidies scorned television.The history of that period of American filmaking was complex, and, Francis Coppola was a huge part of it.  He was the first of the New wave Anti establihsment directors to find commerical sucess (though as a writer not a director; his breakthough was his Oscar for the screenplay for "Patton{;).

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Phantom Menace. Harry Potter had some discussions, too

It was widely expected that TPM would beat Titanic' record.

I never heard nearly the buzz for Potter dong that though it was expected to be a big hit. One reason was that being a huge sucess as a book was never a guarantee of sucess a s a movie.

19 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Since some of you guys have been following box office for so long, what was the first movie that people predicted would beat Titanic's domestic record? 

There was a hype video for Phantom Menace in which Jake Lloyd is asked what he thinks it will do at the box office and he responds "We will blow Titanic out of the water".

Clearly remember that video even now.

16 minutes ago, krla said:

Worst journalist: reads film twitter and regurgitates it as their own work

Bad journalist: reads r/boxoffice and regurgitates it as their own work

Good journalist: reads BOT and regurgitates it as their own work

Great journalist: creates sockpuppets on twitter to push their opinion, then writes an article with their sockpuppet tweets embedded throughout

lol

cant joke about twitter here 

TPM is the right answer, but before Potter I do recall some speculation that maybe Pearl Harbor could do it (the trailer was hyped and they were re-using the romance amidst a historical tragedy backdrop as the template).

Edited by Jiffy

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What do you mean he doesn't like "newer" genres? He actively produces films of all genres, voiced a role in an animated movie, and currently works with young filmmakers like Ben Wheatley, Safdie Bros and Ari Aster. He made a 3D movie lol.

Whoa.

I’m openly posting that he’s great and I decided being irritated about his harsh take on movies I love was pointless. 
It’s almost like the touchy Marvel nerd is saying the fight should be over. 
Scorsese is 79 years old. The fact that he doesn’t like the cultural and economic dominance of art that is different than his isn’t good or bad or surprising. 
I agree that the conversation is exhausted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It was widely expected that TPM would beat Titanic' record.

I never heard nearly the buzz for Potter dong that though it was expected to be a big hit. One reason was that being a huge sucess as a book was never a guarantee of sucess a s a movie.

I think issue with episode 1 was that never got a lot of repeat viewings 

TPM is still a massive huge hit even still. 

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

TPM is the right answer, but before Potter I do recall some speculation that maybe Pearl Harbor could do it (the trailer was hyped and they were re-using the romance amidst a historical tragedy backdrop as the template).

I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark. When he made Pearl Harbor. I miss you more than that movie missed the point. And that's an awful lot girl.

42 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Prime show is very much going to be Tolkien in name only, they don't even have any of the rights to the Silmarillion, just the appendices in LOTR.  That said, I still hope its at least good and not another Wheel of Time like turd.

The WoT fiasco has me expecting another one from Amazon when it comes to their 2nd megabudget fantasy adaptation attempt. In some ways I’ll be more bitter about WoT if LotR is actually done well though :hahaha:

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1