Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This guy Kal-El and a few other crazy people on the forums hyped that Avatar could possibly beat Titanic. Sure showed them!

That’s crazy. How could anyone think an xmas James Cameron original story could possibly beat a box office behemoth like Titanic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

The WoT fiasco has me expecting another one from Amazon when it comes to their 2nd megabudget fantasy adaptation attempt. In some ways I’ll be more better about WoT if LotR is actually done well though :hahaha:

If the show sucks, the fallout is gonna make TLJ and Ghostbusters2016 look like civil discourse in comparison.  So at least that will be entertaining spectacle.

• Thanks 1

2015 ticket prices : 8.43

triple that: 25.29

2022 ticket prices: ~11

increase required: 130%

Years required at ~2.5% inflation*: 34

I Do not think they are gonna wait for 2056 to do secret wars :hahaha:

*based on 10 yr breakevens and historical norms

But if you use 4% inflation (really aggressive!) still take ‘til 2043…

Edited by Legion and Thunder

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

hmm yes it probably will 

Inflation is slowing down. And when will Secret Wars come out?

even with like 5% inflation every year, movie tickets will be like 50% more expensive than now 8 years from now. 🤷‍♂️

8% annual inflation is 85% more expensive. Not 3 times from 2015 or anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Years required at ~2.5% inflation*: 34

well I think maybe the baseline for inflation might be 4% but you never know what the federal reserve will do.

Of course inflation for movie tickets specifically might be different. Still, multiplying 3x from 2015 is very high unprecedented inflation.

However, it’s true that we’ll be at like, 70% higher than 2015 prices pretty soon. Shouldn’t be long before a movie where people chatter about beating tfa nominal.

10 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

...pardon?

the general expectation was that it'd AT LEAST be the third movie in the billion dollar club yeah. it was also supposed to win best picture it was a very hyped up object. it all made a lot of sense at the time. 

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If the show sucks, the fallout is gonna make TLJ and Ghostbusters2016 look like civil discourse in comparison.  So at least that will be entertaining spectacle.

I'll be there just for the reactions. :popcorn:

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

the general expectation was that it'd AT LEAST be the third movie in the billion dollar club yeah. it was also supposed to win best picture it was a very hyped up object. it all made a lot of sense at the time. 

I don't remember expectation for it winning BP (although certainly to be nominated). I do think in the weeks leading up to release general expectation was it'd at least do $800m WW.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Inflation is slowing down. And when will Secret Wars come out?

even with like 5% inflation every year, movie tickets will be like 50% more expensive than now 8 years from now. 🤷‍♂️

8% annual inflation is 85% more expensive. Not 3 times from 2015 or anything.

Dolby prices alone are like 18 dollars on average currently. The average ticket price in 2015 was like 8 dollars. PLF tickets alone will soon reach a strong average of over $20 dollars. 

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dolby prices alone are like 18 dollars on average currently. The average ticket price in 2015 was like 8 dollars. PLF tickets alone will soon reach a strong average of over $20 dollars. 

OK but not every ticket sold is PLF. I mean maybe there will be a shift to more PLF in the future...

But right now Thor averages about $12.50 per ticket.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

I actually did know about the huge hype for King Kong at the time under these metrics, and I get why under the context of "Peter Jackson fresh off the biggest movie trilogy ever directing an iconic remake", but I had no clue about people thinking it would beat Titanic. Must have been real heartbreaking for some.

I remember three things from King Kong

1) Kyle Chandler observing himself in the mirror for what feels like a 5 minute scene

2) Andy Serkis getting eaten by something horrifying

3) Thomas Kretschmann, my man

As an aside, man King Kong '05 is definitely a film that has aged well and deserves a lot more roses that it doesn't get...well, outside of the native stuff. Don't know how a 2005 movie was more racist than a 1933 movie that was already very cringe.

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What in tarntaion. You can’t use PLF only average being triple all tickets average to try to justify your off the cuff incorrect remark. The 2015 atp of 8.43 includes plf prices, weighted to the frequency of plf sales in 2015. 2022 atp will include plf prices, weighted to the frequency of plf sales in 2022. Increasing plf is definitely real, but it’s wrapped into atp and a driver thereof, not separate and additive to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

I actually did know about the huge hype for King Kong at the time under these metrics, and I get why under the context of "Peter Jackson fresh off the biggest movie trilogy ever directing an iconic remake", but I had no clue about people thinking it would beat Titanic. Must have been real heartbreaking for some.

To be fair I don't remember all that much talk about it beating Titanic (maybe there were some what ifs when the project was first announced). Definitely not on the level of TPM/PH/Potter in my memory, although it still disappointed majorly relative to expectations either way.