Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

52 minutes ago, Shanks said:

This should be answered by Someone from LA.

But, What I got from my research is - LATAM in general English is simply short for Latin America. Though that's not the case for people in question. LATAM is also used synonymously with 'Ibero-America' which is more commonly used by major institute which comprises Box office Data. 

Wikipedia says this in very 1st line:

Latin America,[c] sometimes referred to as LatAm,[d] is a large cultural region in the Americas where Romance languages — languages derived from Latin — are predominantly spoken.

It means that Even though we who do not care - Can refer to LA as LatAm but for 'em it means - places where Romance language is spoken i.e (a language derived from Latin -  mainly Spanish, Portuguese, French, or a creole language).

An example of Box Office Data Collection representing such idea:

image.png

Above includes Data only till 2nd Weekend of January, 2022.

Also, I forgot - PORTUGAL too~ Anyway, LA can mean different things to different people, It is controversial Wikipedia says.

But if it was about "places where romance languages are spoken" you would have to include France, Italy etc. as well, not just Spain. The list you posted is more like "spanish speaking countries". Might as well throw Cuba in there too?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

But if it was about "places where romance languages are spoken" you would have to include France, Italy etc. as well, not just Spain. The list you posted is more like "spanish speaking countries". Might as well throw Cuba in there too?

Cuba is part of Caribbean! And it's not really my list... It the list by governing body which provides and organizes box office data in those countries.

Ofcourse, I have learnt now. Latin America = South America. Whatever ocean divides can't be together. 

I will delete Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama & Whole of Caribbean next time.  Central America is central America too.

Edited by Shanks

3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Cuba is part of Caribbean! And it's not really my list... It the list by governing body which provides and organizes box office data in those countries.

Think I came off wrong, was mainly asking why it wasn't in the list

Anyway I wasn't trying to sound aggressive so apologies if it came oft as an attack, I'm just trying to figure out why they'd have Spain as part of latam

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Think I came off wrong, was mainly asking why it wasn't in the list

Anyway I wasn't trying to sound aggressive so apologies if it came oft as an attack, I'm just trying to figure out why they'd have Spain as part of latam

Bro, If I felt attacked I wouldn't have bothered to explain that much. But, some people even after explanation - never bothered to read a word of it and started teaching me geography. There is an Organization that has been working and organizing all the Box office Data which includes Central America, South America & Caribbean -  they call this whole Area collectively 'LatAm' or 'Ibero-America,' They include Spain & Portugal Box Office Data. I can't even read all that below without translating.

image.png 

image.png

If you notice that - They Take Europe as separate entity and Take Portugal & Spain with 'em.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

No.

Through Monday, it's $93.1M.

Through Wednesday, it's $97.6M.

But, yeah. Something's off. But to be honest, all I care about is it crosses $100M. 😂

Through Monday isn't 93M if you use: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY&startYMD=20230111&endYMD=20230116&searchFrom=Jan-11-2023&searchTo=Jan-16-2023&category=ALL&country=ALL

It didn't make 4.5M in 2 weekdays that's for sure, not this late in the run

Through Monday is now at $95,954,386 (it was adjusted from last time I checked)

42 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Where did I put Spain together with South America?

With LATAM here :

• " LA/LATAM difference - After being asked from few peeps, last weekend - I have included all Countries that made up Gross. Also, I searched it around and Latin America =/= LATAM because LATAM Grosses generally always includes Espain (Spain). There maybe minor difference in Grosses, simply because of ATP differences. I am still taking lower numbers- so You can rest assured that there is higher chance of number being more."

Don't be angry it's humor we know that you know your geography but don't take into account the sites that add the gross of the former colonizing countries with countries from other continents. LATAM is South America and Spain and Portugal = Europe, look no further or more complicated. Because if we follow this logic, we will have to count England with Australia and the USA or even South Africa.

13 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Through Monday isn't 93M if you use: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY&startYMD=20230111&endYMD=20230116&searchFrom=Jan-11-2023&searchTo=Jan-16-2023&category=ALL&country=ALL

It didn't make 4.5M in 2 weekdays that's for sure, not this late in the run

Through Monday is now at $95,954,386 (it was adjusted from last time I checked)

I'm just basing it on what Disney reported, but just like what I said, the all important number is $100M. 😀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LPLC said:

With LATAM here :

• " LA/LATAM difference - After being asked from few peeps, last weekend - I have included all Countries that made up Gross. Also, I searched it around and Latin America =/= LATAM because LATAM Grosses generally always includes Espain (Spain). There maybe minor difference in Grosses, simply because of ATP differences. I am still taking lower numbers- so You can rest assured that there is higher chance of number being more."

Don't be angry it's humor we know that you know your geography but don't take into account the sites that add the gross of the former colonizing countries with countries from other continents. LATAM is South America and Spain and Portugal = Europe, look no further or more complicated. Because if we follow this logic, we will have to count England with Australia and the USA or even South Africa.

Not really. It's you who decided not to read whole of my chart, I suppose. I have taken 'Spain' & 'Portugal' in Europe's gross.

Last week, I was asked why my Latin America collection don't match up with Charlie's LatAm OW collection. If you read even the quoted portion -  it says it is for "some peeps" who asked me last week. It was simple explanation to them that I have included all countries of Latin America with known grosses. Charlie's LatAm Collection may have included different countries~ 

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Not really. It's you who decided not to read whole of my chart, I suppose. I have taken 'Spain' & 'Portugal' in Europe's gross.

Last week, I was asked why my Latin America collection don't match up with Charlie's LatAm OW collection. If you read even the quoted portion -  it says it is for "some peeps" who asked me last week. It was simple explanation to them that I have included all countries of Latin America with known grosses. Charlie's LatAm Collection may have included different countries~ 

Don't think too much bro and don't complicate your life with that details

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

in China there’s a good news for Avatar 2,the local water special effect genre blockbuster “Deep sea” WOM sucks,Avatar may hold the some IMAX screen during Spring Festival

huh really ? Visualy at least the trailers looked amazing . Are the issues with the story ?

MONGOLIA

image.png

Week 0 - 35,253

Week 1 - 32,700     (19-25 Dec)  

Week 2 - 110,754   (26 -01 Jan)

Week 3 - 23,102     (02-08 Jan)

Week 4 - 17,928     (09-15 Jan)

Total -    219,737 Admits

With that, Avatar has become Highest Attended HLW movie of all time. The way it's going it will become highest Attended HLW movie~ Now, It's target is 283k Admit local Movie.

Highest Attended HLW Movies

1. Avatar: TWoW - 219,737

2. No Way Home - 202,310

3. Avenger Endgame - 153,450

4. Thor: Love and Thunder - 121,593

5. Aquaman - 115,453

6. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - 114,830  

7. Avengers: Infinity war - 103,441 

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1