filmlover

Triangle of Sadness | 10/7/22 | Neon | Woody Harrelson, Harris Dickinson, the late Charlbi Dean

Apparently we didn't have a thread for this even though it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes this year and will be bowing at TIFF and NYFF (and presumably will be Neon's #1 awards push this year). The movie's release will unfortunately be tinged with sadness now as the lead actress just passed away.

• Sad 1

saw this today

I assume theres no real significance to the Carl running scene, anyone know if there are any hints regarding what happenned with the 2 girls?

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I thought this was ok. I preferred act 1 & 3. Act 2 could’ve been 10 minutes long. The Woody Harrelson stuff dragged on and on and he was just playing himself again. 

Harris Dickinson and Dolly De Leon were the stand outs for me. 

Those two were amazing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric is Missing said:

I was under the impression that films needed to show the ability to stand the test of time before making it into the criterion collection

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I was under the impression that films needed to show the ability to stand the test of time before making it into the criterion collection

no? they release new films all the time it's not the national film registry

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no? they release new films all the time it's not the national film registry

just my general ignorance surrouding the criterion collection, but the impression I had gotten was that they wanted "classics" or at least movie that were guaranteed to become "classics" in the future, and I really did not get that vibe from triangle of sadness 

kinda devalues the brand in my eyes, seeing them chuck such an unimpressive movie into their collection just a few months after it came out on digital

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

I believe Criterion's also going through money troubles, and they usually get recent releases into the collection because those sell better. Don't really think it matters too much if something isn't an automatic instant classic gets into the collection, especially when Ostlund's films have been in the collection before and his fans are typically Criterion buyers anyways. Like if you don't like it being there...don't buy it.

This is very very good, and if it was seen by more people would be an awesome thinkpiece movie, with people discussing the ending. Glad it got a screenplay and picture nom. Director it was probably the “fifth spot” for sure, but still nice to see!

In terms of my enjoyment on a personal level, I’m torn. The script is extremely witty, and I really enjoyed watching it from that aspect. But I just… can’t handle puking scenes in movies just in general so… yea, that was rough for me. Also, I know it was the intention, but I kind of hated every single character in one way or another, so I found it hard to root for anyone :lol: 

• Like 1