YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

12 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I get your concerns but Inside out 2 was a surefire hit for Disney and they were able to make a decent story without focusing on her sexuality.

I can get it seems bad, but if they focused on Riley being a lesbian, they would lost out of 100s of millions in revenue. 

That’s not the point. I don’t think anyone here wants Riley to be a lesbian. 

We’re just worried that these insane fixation on it internally will probably lead to “no diversity at all” rule.

Not every movie needs queer main characters, but to have no movie with queer people in them? What’s this … Hays Code but make it more fascist? 

Hollywood speaks money talk, but people around the world is diverse and they’re also consumers … just look at Barbie, Black Panther etc. We all know the “woke” crowd won’t stop their targets at LGBT people, just see what they’re doing with any black actor in Star Wars.

We can’t see studios slowly trying to please these weirdos and just be quiet because some movie grossed a billion. We’re not executives.

To be fair, i get what you’re saying and it’s not wrong. I just think that’s not our concern.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

90s WDAS was a grind to work for but also made hand drawn blockbusters. Sadly I think the real reason why these movies aren't made anymore is because audiences genuinely don't want them anymore. Maybe if Princess and the Frog was a different movie altogether but they blew it and now it's a niche art form 

Right, people say they want to go back to the way things were, but really they just want the nostalgia hit. Something new in 2D wouldn't interest those people, as much as they claim they want something new in 2D.

I thought we had accepted at this point that the "anti-woke" crowd who are fixated on such randomness in their desperate bid for attention-seeking such as the sexuality of sexless cartoon characters aimed at children lack the self-awareness to know that it says more about them than it does the creators of these movies (and also, more likely than not, tend to have a few pervy skeletons in their own closets). It's best not to give these fools the time of day.

That article makes me think back to the Frozen 2 docuseries on Disney+ that basically showed how production of that movie was... let's say tumultuous. I know a lot of people (including myself) attribute that movie's problems to its production and how that docuseries basically exposed a lot of BTS stuff for that movie, but taking a step back and reading up on other films I don't think there have really been any Disney animated movies that in the past while that didn't experience the same kind of production problems that Frozen 2 and now Inside Out 2 have documented, regardless of how the actual movie ended up.

Sucks that this seems to be a recurring problem in the industry (at least for certain studios), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the crew at WDAS is going through the same stuff (or worse) with Moana 2 right now (albeit not as vocal right now).

Edit: I posted this a bit late since i started writing this bit a few hours ago and forgot to come back to it, but I remember during the docuseries they were talking about how much pressure it was to deliver with Frozen 2, and that was after like 10 years of consistent box office smashes over at WDAS, so it must have been even crazier with Inside Out 2.

Edited by PNF2187

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

You’re probably right, i love Luca like it’s my child and i kinda hate everything about Lightyear haha. 

And yes, Docter did said they take Molina from Elio to work in a way bigger top project for them. My bet is in Coco 2 as well, and i think there’s a +1B grosser there very easily. Hoping for the best, he’s talented and at least they didn’t fired him with all this mess.

You know, I've been thinking something - do you think Pixar's strategy might be letting newcomers work on high-profile sequels before they work on original films? Because I still wouldn't be surprised if Kelsey Mann ends up getting an original film to direct.

51 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That’s not the point. I don’t think anyone here wants Riley to be a lesbian. 

We’re just worried that these insane fixation on it internally will probably lead to “no diversity at all” rule.

Not every movie needs queer main characters, but to have no movie with queer people in them? What’s this … Hays Code but make it more fascist? 

Hollywood speaks money talk, but people around the world is diverse and they’re also consumers … just look at Barbie, Black Panther etc. We all know the “woke” crowd won’t stop their targets at LGBT people, just see what they’re doing with any black actor in Star Wars.

We can’t see studios slowly trying to please these weirdos and just be quiet because some movie grossed a billion. We’re not executives.

To be fair, i get what you’re saying and it’s not wrong. I just think that’s not our concern.

I think the issue with disney was that it was making a lot of poorly made content and Disney assumed people would just watch it due to having characters that look like them or something. 

and Imo a lot of people started to look at disney content cynically.

The message isn't that don't push diverse content, just make content that is good and IMO I feel deep down most people will watch it regardless of what the characters sex or gender or race is

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

I lost the comment and don't feel like going back to find it to reply to but as far as Spiderverse is concerned the information we got on that was that there was a heinous crunch, not that they were fired and not paid their proper rates. With Pixar they tried to make it better but ultimately it still turned out really bad.

They locked people out immediately after firing them after they worked them to death, didn't let them access their work stations of computers so they could get what they needed to maybe get employment down the line, and didn't provide them the bonuses they're supposed to get due to not being paid proper Union rates. It's a different type of awful, and ultimately there are more factors involved that caused the situation that made the workers have more leeway on Doctor and co. A lot more corporate mess behind the scenes. 

I think the fact that Spiderverse had problems pretty much solely due to producers having bad work practices is why that comes across as more malicious but in the end you're left with a huge steaming pile of different but equal smelliness in both scenarios. I don't even want to think about what had to happen with Moana 2. 

29 minutes ago, wattage said:

I lost the comment and don't feel like going back to find it to reply to but as far as Spiderverse is concerned the information we got on that was that there was a heinous crunch, not that they were fired and not paid their proper rates. With Pixar they tried to make it better but ultimately it still turned out really bad.

They locked people out immediately after firing them after they worked them to death, didn't let them access their work stations of computers so they could get what they needed to maybe get employment down the line, and didn't provide them the bonuses they're supposed to get due to not being paid proper Union rates. It's a different type of awful, and ultimately there are more factors involved that caused the situation that made the workers have more leeway on Doctor and co. A lot more corporate mess behind the scenes. 

I think the fact that Spiderverse had problems pretty much solely due to producers having bad work practices is why that comes across as more malicious but in the end you're left with a huge steaming pile of different but equal smelliness in both scenarios. I don't even want to think about what had to happen with Moana 2. 

Keep in mind, while this film was in production, it went through Writers' Guild Strike and Disney's proxy fight from Nelson Peltz, not to mention that Disney needed a hit to prevent to someone like him from coming back and Inside Out 2 was probably the best candidate, especially after how Elemental did, which DOES explain why the film didn't get delayed.

17 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

Keep in mind, while this film was in production, it went through Writers' Guild Strike and Disney's proxy fight from Nelson Peltz, not to mention that Disney needed a hit to prevent to someone like him from coming back and Inside Out 2 was probably the best candidate, especially after how Elemental did, which DOES explain why the film didn't get delayed.

Yes those are the other factors I talked about that caused there to be more leeway from the employees. There was a lot going on, not just the producers being a mess and indecisive or MIA like Lord and Miller were. Outcome is largely the same though and hopefully nothing like that happens again anytime soon. 

Edited by wattage
Typo

I really am glad that Pletz nonsense is over though, but there are still unfortunate ramifications from the entire thing. And with the new leadership still pending, since Iger does need to retire and that's part of the plan, that's another future shake up to navigate. Hopefully its smooth and easy. 

23 minutes ago, wattage said:

Yes those are the other factors I talked about that caused there to be more leeway from the employees. There was a lot going on, not just the producers being a mess and indecisive or MIA like Lord and Miller were. Outcome is largely the same though and hopefully nothing like that happens again anytime soon. 

In fact, the article even suggests that employees at Pixar don't exactly have a lot of negative feelings about Pixar's leadership including Pete Docter.

20 minutes ago, wattage said:

I really am glad that Pletz nonsense is over though, but there are still unfortunate ramifications from the entire thing. And with the new leadership still pending, since Iger does need to retire and that's part of the plan, that's another future shake up to navigate. Hopefully its smooth and easy. 

I still haven't forgiven that senile moron for spitting out that abhorrent bullshit about Black Panther.

• Like 1

On the topic of 2D animation. I know everyone wants to see it return, but… it’s honestly kind of a risk that no studio wants to take. Unless you are a potential 2D Lion King sequel, what else could generate the revenue needed to actually make a profit on a modern 2D animated film? 

Plus, when it comes to Disney in particular, they don’t really have any 2D animators left. Once Upon A Studio was a miracle that was even made. Considering they had to pull veteran animators out of retirement to make it. 

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Why did this thread randomly get a bunch of posts

Don’t forget to read the thread you’re posting in before you come in with “this user from Reddit has guessed this film will make X amount”. 

Anyway, a lot of posts early on saying this won’t impact awards, yet here we are 8 new pages later. If we’re talking about the article then I bet people in the industry have seen the article too. 

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

All these Pixar film already cost over 200m, wonder how can this still causing mistreatment of the labour. Just where did all the money went? 

The main issue is overworking the workers to get a movie out on time. Also not planning out the story from the very start and having to make changes that end up costing more. This wasn't just a problem with Spiderverse.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Anyway, a lot of posts early on saying this won’t impact awards, yet here we are 8 new pages later. If we’re talking about the article then I bet people in the industry have seen the article too. 

If you want to believe its already lessened chances of winning are simply due to this exposé, have at it, I guess. Seems like a shallow thing to put hope in though and does a disservice to the efforts of its competition to assume they can only win more approval on the basis of not being scandalized.

Edited by AniNate

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

90s WDAS was a grind to work for but also made hand drawn blockbusters. Sadly I think the real reason why these movies aren't made anymore is because audiences genuinely don't want them anymore. Maybe if Princess and the Frog was a different movie altogether but they blew it and now it's a niche art form 

I agree on this. There are loud voices asking for 2D return, but I'm not sure if the number of people is really significant.

Disney has seen how they could make a billion box office movie with CGI movies, but they don't know whether this is possible with 2D.