YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

I will  remind everybody that KFP 4 presales were looking pretty bad up into the day of release. Some were saying that it may not even open much past 35 or so. It ended up doing 57. If the presales for IO 2 are looking at 85 or so 100 m is very possible. There is no reason to worry right now. And look at the news above my post.  Disney is getting it. 

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I will  remind everybody that KFP 4 presales were looking pretty bad up into the day of release. Some were saying that it may not even open much past 35 or so. It ended up doing 57. If the presales for IO 2 are looking at 85 or so 100 m is very possible. There is no reason to worry right now. And look at the news above my post.  Disney is getting it. 

I put a very clear *IF* it opens within that tracking range. If it doesn't then it doesn't.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cannastop said:

This feels like an attempt at reverse jinx:

There is no way in hell it’s going that low. Like, at all. Presales aren’t even pointing to an opening that low at this point.

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

There is no way in hell it’s going that low. Like, at all. Presales aren’t even pointing to an opening that low at this point.

Like some people have said -  their are so many know nothing idiots on social media. They just post shit that is not backed up by anything.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

What even was the last animated sequel to an original that failed to outopen its predecessor?

How many "animated sequel to an original"  have come when the first was long before 'rona reared its ugly head/streaming became even more entrenched?

Like, KIIIIIIIIIIINDA think how streaming has upended kids animated features might be given some more weight by at least some posters in this thread. 

======

Put simply:  Streaming has changed the situation when it comes to movie going.  It has especially changed it in regards kids animated features. 

Acting like the theater landscape of 2024 is similar to 2015 is...  Well, I think it is ignoring a couple of elephants in the room, personally.

(not saying that IO2 will fail to surpass the OW of IO.  Simply pointing out that IO2 is being released into a sliiiiiiiiiightly different situation and thus maaaaaaybe that should be factored into success/failure a bit more)

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How many "animated sequel to an original"  have come when the first was long before 'rona reared its ugly head/streaming became even more entrenched?

Like, KIIIIIIIIIIINDA think how streaming has upended kids animated features might be given some more weight by at least some posters in this thread. 

======

Put simply:  Streaming has changed the situation when it comes to movie going.  It has especially changed it in regards kids animated features. 

Acting like the theater landscape of 2024 is similar to 2015 is...  Well, I think it is ignoring a couple of elephants in the room, personally.

(not saying that IO2 will fail to surpass the OW of IO.  Simply pointing out that IO2 is being released into a sliiiiiiiiiightly different situation and thus maaaaaaybe that should be factored into success/failure a bit more)

At this point, DM4 has the advantage over IO2 for those waiting for streaming. Everyone knows IO2 is coming to D+ and that DM4 isn't going to D+.

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

At this point, DM4 has the advantage over IO2 for those waiting for streaming. Everyone knows IO2 is coming to D+ and that DM4 isn't going to D+.

Well if they want to wait 100 days for IO 2 sure. Isn't that what everybody said needs to be done. Disney is figuring that out. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Porthos said:

======

That's obviously one of the explanations for why this could be headed towards a disappointing OW. But that's just what they are, explanations. It doesn't mean it's not actually disappointing if it opens in that range.

Edited by JustLurking

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That's obviously one of the explanations for why this could be headed towards a disappointing OW. But that's just what they are, explanations. It doesn't mean it's not actually disappointing if it opens in that range.

Man Body GIF

Only the two of us are brave enough to admit the truth. . and I guess @WorkingonaName who reacted like to my comment about how this would be a horrible OW

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustLurking said:

What even was the last animated sequel to an original that failed to outopen its predecessor? The one that's coming to mind for me would be Kung fu Panda 2, and I don't think anyone would argue against me if I said its domestic run was disappointing. And I don't think this has ever happened to Pixar especially, as even Cars 2 (!) managed to open over the original, obviously failing to match its final gross in the end.

It wouldn't be a disaster, but if IO2 lands in that tracking range, I don't see why we need to spend so much time trying to spin it as a success story that leaves everyone happy. Theaters will take anything at this point, and both Disney/Pixar will be glad to just get an animated film make some theatrical profit, but a sequel to Inside Out should be a smash, not a "well, atleast it didn't tank!".

It would be a disappointing opening.

It’s much easier to outgross the predecessor when the numbers are 50-60M instead of +90M lol 

I get the point, it’s not comparable at all tho. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Man Body GIF

Only the two of us are brave enough to admit the truth. . and I guess @WorkingonaName who reacted like to my comment about how this would be a horrible OW

Nah. 85m would only be 5 million below the 90m opening for the original. 5 million. Adjusted for inflation yeah yeah I get but I’m not adjusting for inflation. I’m not saying it would be amazing or anything, but terrible isn’t the right word here. And let’s be honest. This isn’t even confirmed. It’s too early to tell. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It explains why people should not find it disappointing and spend this thread whining about it.

That's really the only thing that matters here. Disney and Pixar have long since adjusted their expectations for this I'm sure, but discussion of this movie on this forum would be a lot less annoying if everyone here was willing to get with those expectations rather than hold on to pre COVID fantasies about what the movie's box office potential is. 

You don't have to think of it as a huge breakout success if it opens to that, but it's also not an opening that calls for more of the exhausting "OMG MOVIES ARE DOOMED" handwringing.  

Edited by AniNate
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AniNate said:

It explains why people should not find it disappointing and spend this thread whining about it.

That's really the only thing that matters here. Disney and Pixar have long since adjusted their expectations for this I'm sure, but discussion of this movie on this forum would be a lot less annoying if everyone here was willing to get with those expectations rather than hold on to pre COVID fantasies about what the movie's box office potential is. 

You don't have to think of it as a huge breakout success if it opens to that, but it's also not an opening that calls for more of the exhausting "OMG MOVIES ARE DOOMED" handwringing.  

You can't not have "OMG MOVIES ARE DOOMED" handwringing if in the same post you yourself are writing that we should lower our expectations for the sequel of an extremely beloved original smash hit. That's pretty much an oxymoron.

Either movies are fine yet we should lower our expectations for no apparent reason, or movies are struggling in the post-COVID landscape and we should lower our expectations because of it.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

Much as I adore Turning Red, I'm actually not too cut up over the news that the autobiographical strain in Pixar movies will be pushed against. Domee Shi still has a movie coming up and I'm curious how it will be. I'm only mildly disappointed in the Bloomberg piece.

I guess the idea is they need to make original movies exactly like Toy Story or Monsters Inc, and I'm not sure you can do that just by tamping down on certain expressions.

I'm not even sure how Luca doesn't fit into the Toy Story/Monsters Inc. "broad experience" broad vat. Did that article just assume the boys in the film were gay and decide to lump it into the "woke" Pixar category?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm not even sure how Luca doesn't fit into the Toy Story/Monsters Inc. "broad experience" broad vat. Did that article just assume the boys in the film were gay and decide to lump it into the "woke" Pixar category?

It's because it has any trace of autobiographical details in it. Director is Italian, movie takes place in Italy.

In other words:

• Sad 1

@PeteDocter I've got a 'commonality of experience' idea. How about a boy and his dog film? Only it's a boy and his dinosaur film. And the twist is the dinosaur acts like the boy and the boy like the dog. I'm sure it will print $$$$$$$ as it's not autobiographical :D