YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

You mean the best social media website of all time?

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Spoiler

Although to be fair I would say all social media websites are garbage, just to varying degrees. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

I mean, Disney did that with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, did they not?

*checks*

No?  Looks like the lift was right after the World Premiere.  Near as I can tell at any rate from a casual check of Google, Reddit, and Twitter. Some folks might have broke it early, but that's on them. 

Went back and checked the thread here (FAR easier to search it than Google) and I think what happened is that there was a mix of critic *AND* FAN SCREENINGS.  Or at least fans which attended critic screenings.  Which appears to have cause the social media rollout to shift up by three days.

Not exactly the same thing here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

No?  Looks like the lift was right after the World Premiere.  Near as I can tell at any rate from a casual check of Google, Reddit, and Twitter. Some folks might have broke it early, but that's on them. 

Went back and checked the thread here (FAR easier to search it than Google) and I think what happened is that there was a mix of critic *AND* FAN SCREENINGS.  Or at least fans which attended critic screenings.  Which appears to have cause the social media rollout to shift up by three days.

So what happened with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 shouldn't be used as an evidence that Disney is holding social media embargo for too long because they know that the film is in terrible shape?

Just now, Block-Busted said:

So what happened with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 shouldn't be used as an evidence that Disney is holding social media embargo for too long because they know that the film is in terrible shape?

Nope.  Glad we could clear that up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

I have to admit, bringing in a character with outdated animation kind of works in this context - at least based on what I'm seeing here.

And that signature move joke is hilarious.

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

What happened with Guardians was Disney scheduled 25 fan screens like 10 days before release or something. I was among those who saw it for free along with my daughter. That blew up the presales and it recovered very well. 

I dont think for a family movie, anything is wrong with Inside Out 2 sales. We have data from so many trackers and I have not seen any terrible data so far. There is absolutely no reason to react. Let us see how things go on Monday with reactions. Presales is going fantastic at this point. All signs are pointing to huge breakout. 

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What happened with Guardians was Disney scheduled 25 fan screens like 10 days before release or something. I was among those who saw it for free along with my daughter. That blew up the presales and it recovered very well. 

I dont think for a family movie, anything is wrong with Inside Out 2 sales. We have data from so many trackers and I have not seen any terrible data so far. There is absolutely no reason to react. Let us see how things go on Monday with reactions. Presales is going fantastic at this point. All signs are pointing to huge breakout. 

So what OW are we thinking?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

And this is the key, IMO.

If there was a reason for Disney changing the promotion rollout for GOTG3, it's because they were panicking concerned over softer than they would have liked pre-sales for GOTG3 and decided they wanted to roll the dice and do something about it.

They don't seem to be concerned about the pace of pre-sales in the case of IO2.  At least not enough to change an already established media rollout.

That's the most likely read here.

===

Mind...

Reactions/reviews could be bad.

Reactions/reviews could be good.

Reactions/reviews could be meh.

Reactions/reviews could be stellar.

I'm saying that we don't know and shouldn't try to read much of anything at all in the timing of said rollouts.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

And this is the key, IMO.

If there was a reason for Disney changing the promotion rollout for GOTG3, it's because they were panicking concerned over softer than they would have liked pre-sales for GOTG3 and decided they wanted to roll the dice and do something about it.

They don't seem to be concerned about the pace of pre-sales in the case of IO2.  At least not enough to change an already established media rollout.

That's the most likely read here.

L

Vol 3 I think always should be considered an outlier. They needed to do something because of how the sales were soft. 

These kinda stuff are planned well in advance within the marketing and it’s not just about whether the movie is good or bad. It’s about the strategy they have decided for when you want the buzz to break and how it leads into the movie for best possible momentum. 

let’s say the movie is pretty good: it’s already showing signs for a breakout in sales last days, and then it gets some good attention through social and then reviews? Could be a perfect strategy. Or it could be a misfire. We ultimately don’t know but gosh if i’m tired of the constant doom that arrives when we hear about a late embargo or a “bad” test screening.

• Like 3

I think something that gets overlooked in a lot of embargo talk is that it's a two way negotiation. You know how the trades are always first when they're lifted? They get extra eyeballs to their site from that setup. No one cares if you're the 113th review out but if you're the first every tomatometer diehard is gonna be opening your site and being exposed to your adspace. It's a money maker for the publications as well.

11 hours ago, Block-Busted said:

So is there any hopeful sign for this film's critical reception even if it's just an anecdotal one?

Matt Belloni's "What I'm Hearing" newsletter from Puck News (its a subscription newsletter largely for people within the Industry in Hollywood.. Somewhat similar to the trades, focused on the business side of the industry. Matt used to be the Editor for the Hollywood Reporter before starting Puck.. all of this to say he is a very well sourced reporter in Hollywood who speaks to people from across the spectrum of the industry from creative talent like writers, directors and actors to agents and managers to studio executives) said that he has only heard good things in relation to Inside Out 2 from those who have seen it.  As posted earlier there were screenings of the movie tonight in LA and other cities and if you look you can find some people giving their thoughts and once again so far I've only seen positive granted still very limited. I think there's not a ton of reasons to be anxious at this moment. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IMO this will review well, probably even very well. However with how good and beloved the first one was, I think there will be a consensus of "previous one was better" which may not necessarily be what Disney wants people to hear.

Edited by JustLurking

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

IMO this will review well, probably even very well. However with how good and beloved the first one was, I think there will be a consensus of "previous one was better" which may not necessarily be what Disney wants people to hear.

This is likely imo, but it´s not a problem if it´s good enough. 

Incredibles 2 reception is pretty much ´´great, 1 is better´´ and it was a beloved phenomenon with audiences

• Like 5

Had this pegged as the first $100M opener of the year (I know, what a tough call huh) and it looks like that's indeed what's going to happen. 11 months man.... Gonna feel good! Likely seeing this with my girlfriend on Tuesday night when it'll likely be more of an adult audience.

Just now, WebSurfer said:

Will they harness the power of AI or go for a more stylistic look?

Could mean anything but I don't think it's AI. Pixar already has a variety of styles throughout its catalog so I don't know what will be coming up in the future.

• Like 1