YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

30 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Elio again looks like a tough sell. I think we need Docter and Stanton etc helming originals while let the next gen take up sequels to big movies. I wonder what other sequels we could see. Wall-E or Coco or something else. 

Wall-E sequel feels like a natural progression of the story, there’s definitely more there to tell

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Sequel speculation is scary, especially when it comes down to Pixar movies. But I'd say, there has to be room for nostalgia, expansion of the world building and maybe even storytelling/character evolution. I think Monsters, Inc. and Brave are probably the best options - outside of Incredibles 3, which is 100% happening some day.

All they need to do is get audiences back into the habit of showing up for Pixar and Disney animated films again in theatres. That’s what green lighting all these sequels was about. Undoing what they did with Disney+. 
Nobody is disputing the quality of the likes of Soul, Luca, Turning Red - which I’m sure pre-pandemic would have done really well in cinemas. 

If Inside Out 2 is as good as we’re hearing and it breaks out into a huge blockbuster then we’re well on our way to resetting the wrong turns Disney made in distributing their top quality animated offerings.  That will ultimately make those original movies viable too for theatrical big business. Plus it’s not like Elemental didn’t hit once people started connecting with it and hearing the word. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, toutvabien said:

Sequel speculation is scary, especially when it comes down to Pixar movies. But I'd say, there has to be room for nostalgia, expansion of the world building and maybe even storytelling/character evolution. I think Monsters, Inc. and Brave are probably the best options - outside of Incredibles 3, which is 100% happening some day.

OK no way in hell they'd choose Brave for a sequel lol

Just now, cannastop said:

OK no way in hell they'd choose Brave for a sequel lol

I'd assume Brave's Disney Princess ties has probably led to a pretty big post-theatrical life and merch sales. I can see people showing up for a sequel. Just cause it's not one of their best regarded films doens't mean it won't have market appeal. Way easier to turn into a franchise than Ratatouille, WALL-E or Up.

45 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I have to wonder what the animation industry will look like if the major studios pull back on originals and focus mostly on sequels. That can’t be sustainable…

It will be like what the live-action movie industry is now. We get nothing but nostalgic toy commercials forcefed to us, original movies bomb left and right, and audiences will keep flocking to them, because "OMG MY CHILDHOOD" and they're too stupid to see anything that isn't based on a thing they are already familiar with. Pretty easy to figure that one out.

• Knock It Off 1

Should Pixar be worried about DM4 hunting IO2's legs. It's crazy we are getting a repeat of 2015 when Inside Out faced a Minions movie. Imagine how much more IO2 would be doing if it wasn't facing another potential billion dollar hit in DM4.

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

All they need to do is get audiences back into the habit of showing up for Pixar and Disney animated films again in theatres. That’s what green lighting all these sequels was about. Undoing what they did with Disney+. 
Nobody is disputing the quality of the likes of Soul, Luca, Turning Red - which I’m sure pre-pandemic would have done really well in cinemas. 

If Inside Out 2 is as good as we’re hearing and it breaks out into a huge blockbuster then we’re well on our way to resetting the wrong turns Disney made in distributing their top quality animated offerings.  That will ultimately make those original movies viable too for theatrical big business. Plus it’s not like Elemental didn’t hit once people started connecting with it and hearing the word. 

I like your optimism but they absolutely are throwing those three movies under the bus.

So how do you find that balance?

I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding about that because it's not that [those movies were] too specific. But what I’ve found is sometimes, if you are telling a personal story, you’ll be like, “Oh, no, that's not the way the story goes. Because my story is this.” But we're not telling my story; we're telling a story that needs to work for a fictional character that we're creating. So there's sometimes a reluctance to let go or let the movie shape itself the way it needs to. 

It's somewhat reassuring that Docter is saying "specificity" isn't the issue but why is he bringing up this criticism? Anyone who writes fictional stories well already knows this.

• Like 1

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Should Pixar be worried about DM4 hunting IO2's legs. It's crazy we are getting a repeat of 2015 when Inside Out faced a Minions movie. Imagine how much more IO2 would be doing if it wasn't facing another potential billion dollar hit in DM4.

DM movies are weaker than Minions itself plus in 3 weeks Inside out would have made chunk of its BO and will do ok. it has almost no competition until then. only Quiet Place movie is worth mentioning until then and they dont have demo that will impact IO2. This is perfect time to release this for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Eh it has three weekends, I wouldn't be worried.

4 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

It will be like what the live-action movie industry is now. We get nothing but nostalgic toy commercials forcefed to us, original movies bomb left and right, and audiences will keep flocking to them, because "OMG MY CHILDHOOD" and they're too stupid to see anything that isn't based on a thing they are already familiar with. Pretty easy to figure that one out.

Animation was sort of the last bastion for big successful original films, so it’ll be really sad to see that fade into the background.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 3

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Don't see DM4 impacting IO2 worse than SLOP impacted Finding Dory.

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Yeah, Minions did such brutal damage to Inside Out that it only managed just under a 4x multiplier

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

This bs again:

Not this again when any idiot can look which movies was most streamed in both 2021 and 2022 and see that both Luca and Turning Red had phenomenal stats. 

This is what i’m talking about when i complain about this “return to form” bullshit narrative. It’s simply not true, totally manufactured to pretend there’s some huge critical problem with these personal stories when the only problem was Disney+ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I might be more inclined to buy into the "pixar not doing personal projects" anymore narrative if they didn't still have Elio coming. It mostly just feels like rage bait now. 

Would like to see more Wall-E somehow though. I don't know what more of a story there is to tell but even on the ancillary front it hasn't gotten a lot of attention compared to the rest of the popular Pixar IP.

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Yeah, Minions did such brutal damage to Inside Out that it only managed just under a 4x multiplier

I think domestically Inside Out 2 should be safe. But internationally it’ll probably get crushed by Despicable Me 4 

38 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well IO2 is a sequel so it should have a bigger OW and smaller legs. I want both movies to do well. I guess competition is good for theaters at least.

51 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not this again when any idiot can look which movies was most streamed in both 2021 and 2022 and see that both Luca and Turning Red had phenomenal stats. 

This is what i’m talking about when i complain about this “return to form” bullshit narrative. It’s simply not true, totally manufactured to pretend there’s some huge critical problem with these personal stories when the only problem was Disney+ 

I wouldn't discount people trying to memory hole as much as humanly possible the knock off effects of COVID as part of this.

Much of the reason why those films went to D+ was either because of the 'rona or lingering doubts about theatrical in the wake of 'rona (TR here, especially).

I just think, psychologically speaking, COVID was such a traumatic event and one that went on for so long that some folks, consciously or not, are doing everything they can to distance themselves mentally from that time period/not look all that closely at why certain decisions  were made.

Gonna touch on this lightly and note that one can even see this in the world of politics in the US where people with a straight face will tell you that they were better off four years ago (when hundreds of thousands of people were dying) than they are now.  What they *mean* when they say that is five years ago before the 'rona exploded on the scene.  But, well, the memory cheats.

As a supporting point, while it's not Pixar, I note that no one has yet dared attacked Encanto's success, even though that was one of the major reasons for the temporary D+ fixation.

Now it is certainly true that TPTB that run Pixar ought to know better and push against this nonsense.  But, well, they're human too and thus susceptible to the same problems I'm mentioning above.  Plus the cold calculation of "giving the public and the press the story/narrative they want."

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Plus the cold calculation of "giving the public and the press the story/narrative they want."

This is where I sit on this. Ultimately, the animation pipeline is a long, complex, and frankly boring operation and the reality of that doesn't make for very compelling pot stirring. We don't really know what's going on there and I don't think Bloomberg or Time do either. I just see the original movie that is still on their slate next year, and I'm pretty sure this whole thing will be forgotten if that ends up another acclaimed hit.

• Like 1