YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All credit to Luma and Nintendo… 

Enough of this. Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on anthropomorphic stars. You put the two together they are very easily distinguishable from each other. 

This reminds me of Wall-E's johnny 5 ripoff complaints that have fortunately been largely forgotten now

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The design is a clear riff on Luma, but more importantly… lighten up dude. 

That comparison has typically been used as an indictment on the movie's originality, so forgive me if I'm tired of it. Tired in general of everything about the movie's production being interpreted in the most cynical way possible. 

Fortunately it seems like things are improving now, but I was ready to pounce the next time I saw that comparison. So I guess I should thank you for being my outlet.

• Like 3

I also like that it seems Star is being presented as a truly androgynous character. It is about time that Disney put their money where their mouth is on that issue and a merch-friendly sidekick seems like a good place to start. Hopefully the screenwriters resisted the temptation to refer to them with gendered pronouns.

48 minutes ago, AniNate said:

That comparison has typically been used as an indictment on the movie's originality, so forgive me if I'm tired of it. Tired in general of everything about the movie's production being interpreted in the most cynical way possible. 

Fortunately it seems like things are improving now, but I was ready to pounce the next time I saw that comparison. So I guess I should thank you for being my outlet.

This is in a good spot with THG looking to be another November bust. Unless this isn’t very good, it’s likely going to be successful. So I don’t think it needs to be looked at as a frustrated that it will flop thing right now. 

The creators have mentioned in various interviews that Star’s design is based on concept art for a cut sequence from the original Snow White, where she would dream of dancing with the prince in the clouds. Anthropomorphic stars would surround them. Its pretty much the same design and it predates Nintendo’s Luma by a good 60 years at least. Its facial expressions and general mimicry are inspired by 1930s Mickey Mouse.

Not everything is a ripoff and Disney has a rich history to which they can look for inspiration. Especially if that’s the whole idea behind the movie.

SW+in+the+clouds.jpgstar-Sidebar2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, PatrickvD said:

The creators have mentioned in various interviews that Star’s design is based on concept art for a cut sequence from the original Snow White, where she would dream of dancing with the prince in the clouds. Anthropomorphic stars would surround them. Its pretty much the same design and it predates Nintendo’s Luma by a good 60 years at least. Its facial expressions and general mimicry are inspired by 1930s Mickey Mouse.

Not everything is a ripoff and Disney has a rich history to which they can look for inspiration. Especially if that’s the whole idea behind the movie.

SW+in+the+clouds.jpgstar-Sidebar2.jpg

That’s great and all but the point is Star looks way more like Luma than that Snow White concept art. Not sure why some people seem gravely offended at the idea of a Disney character design looking similar to a Nintendo one… 

On 11/11/2023 at 6:38 PM, AniNate said:

I also like that it seems Star is being presented as a truly androgynous character. It is about time that Disney put their money where their mouth is on that issue and a merch-friendly sidekick seems like a good place to start. Hopefully the screenwriters resisted the temptation to refer to them with gendered pronouns.

Star should be a man.

Stargaze? Why not Star Gays? Huh? Huh?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That’s great and all but the point is Star looks way more like Luma than that Snow White concept art. Not sure why some people seem gravely offended at the idea of a Disney character design looking similar to a Nintendo one… 

It would be one thing to just say it looks similar, but your tone with the "all credit to..." post and what you've previously said about Nintendo being "nice" to not sue gives off the impression that you think the design is of dubious legal ground, when there is no evidence of that beyond personal perceptions.

It's the kind of thing that always comes off as bad faith pot stirring.

A "star" as a fantastical cherubic anthropomorphic character is hardly a novelty, and I don't think Nintendo would honestly claim that their Luma was a completely original conception themselves. One could conceivably point to the Care Bears starbuddies as an inspiration. I do think the Star in question here looks similar enough to the snow white concept art to take their word for it as the primary inspiration, and it tracks with the overall development narrative. 

Ultimately as I said before, it's like the Wall-E/johnny 5 thing. The Wish star presumably will have its own distinct personality and attributes that will distance it from surface physical comparisons in the long run. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it looks nothing like the Nintendo character. That one has two black dots for eyes. I’m not offended, Disney has ripped off loads of things in the past, but whatever you’re saying is just not there in my opinion.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Appears the media social embargo ends tomorrow, so if the premiere critics were over hyping we'll have a better idea then

That’s very odd and a bit concerning the two had to be seperate.

Is it? Seems pretty par for the course these days. I think embargoes are as much about when the trades want to publish their reviews as it is when the studio wants them out. In any case, the early access screenings are gonna open the floodgates so Disney clearly banking on a good reception.

• Like 1