Eric Prime

Mickey 17 || Warner || January 31, 2025 || Directed by Bong Joon Ho - Starring Robert Pattinson

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Ugh... DanRPK and Ruimy 

I wouldn't be surprised if executive meddling happened, but I hate that this scoop is coming from those jackholes

Yeah, that’s why i quote ViewerAnon asking if he knows about it.

RPK and Ruimy are like broken clocks, they can be right but you never know for sure with those weirdos.

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He have Final Cut contractually, nice. WB is dumping it but at least they can’t do anything about it’s quality.

Why are they dumping it tho? It should be good enough for awards season

9 minutes ago, Taylor89 said:

If it was, it'd get an Oscar-qualifying run in December.

Obviously it hasn't tested well. This was one of the last films greenlit by the AT&T/Kilar regime and WBD inherited this.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Taylor89 said:

Their slate for awards seasons are very big already with Dune 2 and Joker (premiering at Venice). And Furiosa with some long shot at nominations. 

Commercially, we don’t know why they’re dumping it. Reports is that test screenings went good but not great because the movie is weird and somewhat alienating to portions of test audiences, so maybe they feel general audiences won’t connect with it and decided to just dump it instead of spent even more with festivals and huge marketing on top of it’s 150M budget, which is very frustrating but seems like a good bet. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It didn't test well, a big studio like WB wouldn't dump a 150 mln sci-fi flick in January if it tested well. Trades already reported WB is simply not happy with the film.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It didn't test well, a big studio like WB wouldn't dump a 150 mln sci-fi flick in January if it tested well. Trades already reported WB is simply not happy with the film.

Now we get back full circle in the discussions of this thread … but WB not only dumped but completely shelved a ~100M looney tunes flick despite excellent test reports. 

We really need to get past this reasonable logic about the industry. The reports for this is that it did tested well, just not blockbuster level well because it ended up not being a crowd pleaser adventure scifi, is closer to a satire with political undertones from what we know. This is probably why WB isn’t happy with it. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Now we get back full circle in the discussions of this thread … but WB not only dumped but completely shelved a ~100M looney tunes flick despite excellent test reports. 

*70M and we won't know for sure if those reports were even true. I remember LA Times claimed it didn't test nearly as well as those initial reports about high 90s test-screenings. And there's another WB movie Birds of Prey where scoopers claimed test-screenings went incredibly well and hyped it to the moon, but then after release Deadline reported it actually tested poorly and that's why it was taken away from its director, reshot and re-edited. So those initial reports should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

32 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

We really need to get past this reasonable logic about the industry. The reports for this is that it did tested well, just not blockbuster level well

Those reports didn't come from reliable sources, we don't really know. But what I know is I can't think of a single big studio big budget prestige sci-fi flick being dumped in January.

Edited by TomThomas

41 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

We really need to get past this reasonable logic about the industry. The reports for this is that it did tested well, just not blockbuster level well because it ended up not being a crowd pleaser adventure scifi, is closer to a satire with political undertones from what we know. This is probably why WB isn’t happy with it. 

And with all that, why isn't January a good date for it? 

36 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

And with all that, why isn't January a good date for it? 

Because January just isn't a good month for movies. Practically no big blockbuster opens in January. And releasing it at the beginning of the year means people will likely forget about it for the big awards too. It's a signal that they don't know what to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

*70M and we won't know for sure if those reports were even true. I remember LA Times claimed it didn't test nearly as well as those initial reports about high 90s test-screenings. And there's another WB movie Birds of Prey where scoopers claimed test-screenings went incredibly well and hyped it to the moon, but then after release Deadline reported it actually tested poorly and that's why it was taken away from its director, reshot and re-edited. So those initial reports should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Those reports didn't come from reliable sources, we don't really know. But what I know is I can't think of a single big studio big budget prestige sci-fi flick being dumped in January.

Look, i’m fine with all you said, i don’t really disagreed with it. You was just affirming (not presuming) things that we really don’t know, and i just responded that the vague info we have doesn’t match your affirmation. 

If every thing out there shouldn’t be discussed because they’re not 100% reliable than what’s even the point of a discussion thread, you know. I assume everyone knows these things should be taken with a considerable grain of salt.