Eric Duncan

Mickey 17 || Warner || January 31, 2025 || Directed by Bong Joon Ho - Starring Robert Pattinson

As someone who has two degrees in political journalism (my own Sneider esque self promotion), I should not be stunned by anyone being a source shitty weird irrelevant person for inexplicable reasons. Even with that said, the fact that people sometimes do give good information to Jeff Sneider is a real mindblower and frankly an indictment on Hollywood itself. 

I'm sure there are people on the inside who share Sneider's lack of respect for the concept of "trade secrets" and are willing to leak the occasional legit stuff for the lulz. They're just as much the problem.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Comedy scifi or scifi with comedic elements like Edge Of Tomorrow. That one turned out amazing with some funny moments

Things go awry as one version of Mickey doesn’t die and a replacement clone comes to take his place, leading Pattinson to face off against another Pattinson.

To briefly sketch out the book's use of comedy, the plot involves (trying to just give a vague general plot outline but it inherently spoils how stuff goes)

Spoiler

two RobPats grudgingly doing the whole "identical twins pretending to be one person" thing (except in this case it's clones) and failing miserably while also creating some romantic hijinks. 

This is also interspersed with flashbacks to Mickey's backstory/earlier time on the trip and a "threat to the base/expedition" plot.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

good movies can be released in January. Just see M3GAN last year and it’s 94% score in the first week of January.  

*good movies with lower budgets and no awards ambitions.

Edited by Firepower

Maybe it’s past time to stop giving Jeff Sneider so much attention? Wasn’t the guy fired from Variety 11 years ago for threatening to kill himself over another journalist getting a scoop before him?

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

Since there’s nothing concrete to discuss, another rumor around the test screenings just dropped. Same thing, good reactions overall but there’s division about it’s weird tone and performances that doesn’t seems to be the typical comedy. 

Reactions have been good, but not great with general audiences and everyone I’ve spoken to split on Ruffalo’s Trump-like performance and Pattinson’s voice. I can see why Warner Bros isn’t confident in this one, but I did like it.”

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Maybe it’s past time to stop giving Jeff Sneider so much attention? Wasn’t the guy fired from Variety 11 years ago for threatening to kill himself over another journalist getting a scoop before him?

He’s a hack but people give attention to him because he tells them what they want to hear. After that Johnny Depp/Sydney Sweeney debacle you would think people would give up on him.

People listen to Sneider because:

1] He's good at promoting himself.  Not said in a derogatory way, BTW! Selling oneself is an important skill in his line of work.

2] He does get actual legit intel before others which is the lifeblood of his trade. 

3] He mixes in enough gossip to keep his name in conversation and folks wanting to tune in to hear what he says for the sheer entertainment value that gossip provides.

His problem is that he mixes 2 and 3 far too freely and casually as a way of reinforcing point 1. For every legit scoop he gets, he'll mix in four or five pieces of gossip where he can just say "it's just what I've heard" and let people conclude that it is an actual scoop and not gossip. 

And of course, he freely sprinkles in his own biases and opinions.

In short, he straddles the line between entertainer and reporter and doesn't seem to be all that concerned with establishing a bright line between the two aspects of what he does.

• Like 2

I don't care much for "early buzz" pot stirring, whoever it's coming from. Just a bunch of people hearing what they want to hear and pointlessly spouting nonsense when there could be much more substantive news getting drowned out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I agree that he's an asshat, but the movie simply being bad isn't impossible. These movie directors are human too, and can slip up and make mistakes once in a while. That's just as possible as Zaslav, a glorified reality TV executive, not understanding a weird genre movie and automatically assuming the worst as far as revenue is concerned.

Why in the actual hell does everyone keep acting as if Zaslav is doing every single decision at WBD by himself? Mike DeLuca and Pam Abdy would be the ones responsible for the release dates. In fact they were literally namedropped as the ones that don't have faith on the film's commercial prospects.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah everyone loved the footage they watched, but Sneider who didn’t see it is the actual reliable source? 

Sneider is at Cinemacon. He did see the trailer

34 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So they delayed a finished movie with good test screenings for fully 14 months? This is so insane lol 

At this point i do believe the rumors that Zaslav is preparing to sell or merge WB and simply doesn’t want a box office bomb in this quarterly earnings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well from Bong's perspective, perhaps if Parasite remains the last released product on his resume it also helps him get a US deal for that $50 mil hand drawn animated movie he's planning now. Alex Garland might've had a more difficult time pitching Civil War if he didn't do it until after Men came out. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

WB's problem is that this movie was specifically made for me and they should at least send me the file if it's already finished and they're waiting to dump it in January. I'll sign an NDA and everything.

(I wish studios would stand by their weird-ass $150M movies instead of getting cold feet and doing a shocked pikachu face when the guy who did Okja makes a weird, polarizing sci-fi movie. [Even Snowpiercer, to some extent, should offer some insight.] And without those precedents, surely the trajectory of the film would have been obvious way before the final hour. I for one would like to see what would happen if this did get a full WB marketing campaign.)

• Like 6

I mean honestly I don't think an essentially early February release is terrible beyond its perception as a "dumping ground". It probably does help this movie's box office chances if there aren't a bunch of more popular franchise IPs around it to compete with. Heck, Parasite made most of its bank in that month and if this makes anywhere near the kind of money that movie did I'm sure it would make everyone involved pretty happy.

EDIT: well looking at the reported budget again it probably does need to do a little more than that for everyone to be happy. Still, everything else I said holds.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Of course it's gonna bomb. People need to look at this super empty April... If WBD believed Mickey would be liked by general audience it would premiere this week. Literally every single movie has great reactions from Cinema Con. I mean... What were people expecting to hear? 

• Like 1