Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 9/12-11/12

Really strong hold for Violent Night. If it can survive Christmas passing I can see it approaching a $50M total.

Empire of Light making less than half of The Whale in almost 19x the number of theaters is truly lol worthy.

Edited by filmlover

Fantastic hold for Violent Night. It deserves to make all the money. Hopefully it recovers after next week's 60%+ drop and continues to have strong days until the end of the year (it will die after New Year's Day for obvious reasons).

Black Panther had a 23M WW weekend and it is still 32M away from 800M global total. Does it have any markets left? The movie is gonna tank 70% everywhere next weekend. Holiday legs afterwards should save it and push it past the mark but I think there is a chance it misses it.

31 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fantastic hold for Violent Night. It deserves to make all the money. Hopefully it recovers after next week's 60%+ drop and continues to have strong days until the end of the year (it will die after New Year's Day for obvious reasons).

Black Panther had a 23M WW weekend and it is still 32M away from 800M global total. Does it have any markets left? The movie is gonna tank 70% everywhere next weekend. Holiday legs afterwards should save it and push it past the mark but I think there is a chance it misses it.

no markets left. Should cross 800m but not much over it. Black Panther 1 made 1.2 billion even without China and Russia. Overseas BP2 will come below Thor Love and Thunder even though BP1 non China/Russia gross was higher than Thor Ragnarok. Not a good sign for Black Panther 3

8 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

BPWF is gonna finish in that $432-438M DOM // $810-820M WW range. I consider both of those numbers lackluster.

MCU needs to do a refresh for phase 5, up the their game a little bit I reckon. Losing Chadwick & RDJ & Evans seems to have taken a toll. I'm sure people have discussed this already so I'm not interested in dicussion it just a fleeting thought, Maybe get russo brothers to direct more films

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

MCU needs to do a refresh for phase 5, up the their game a little bit I reckon. Losing Chadwick & RDJ & Evans seems to have taken a toll. I'm sure people have discussed this already so I'm not interested in dicussion it just a fleeting thought, Maybe get russo brothers to direct more films

the Russo Brothers and Markus and McFeely have done some of the most well received and highest grossing Marvel movies. To not have them involved at all with any future film at the moment is mind boggling

1 hour ago, filmlover said:
5 (5) Devotion Sony Pictures $2,000,000 -27% 3,458 +53 $578 $16,972,419 3

- (-) Spoiler Alert Focus Features $700,000 +744% 783 +777 $894 $802,593 2

- (9) Bones and All United Artists $564,052 -53% 1,707 -1,020 $330 $7,267,557 4

Spoiler Alert making Bros look like Wakanda Forever in comparison.

To be fair, Bros was released in 3000+ theaters and Universal gave it $30 million in marketing. Spoiler Alert has a way more low key release and never said it was "historic" or anything.

I think it would've done better had they made/released it before the pandemic. Now it gets appraised by 2020s standards of progressiveness, even though it's about real people whose lives really went that way. And Spoiler Alert is a pretty terrible title (the book isn't that famous): either explain it in the trailer or change it.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Regarding the Avengers team: I think it's a rather tall order to go to a group of people who had just spent years of their lives crafting not just one but two multimillion dollar-budgeted epics with hundreds of actors and loads of complicated VFX, paying off multiple previous films that had to satisfy audiences around the world... and expect them to do it again and expect the same results.

I know no one really likes their post-Marvel projects, but they seem to be satisfied with making those at this moment. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

To be fair, Bros was released in 3000+ theaters and Universal gave it $30 million in marketing. Spoiler Alert has a way more low key release and never said it was "historic" or anything.

I think it would've done better had they made/released it before the pandemic. Now it gets appraised by 2020s standards of progressiveness, even though it's about real people whose lives really went that way. And Spoiler Alert is a pretty terrible title (the book isn't that famous): either explain it in the trailer or change it.

I feel like "bad title" could be applied to most of the movies that struggled this fall, but the thing of note is that a number of those movies (Bones and All, She Said, Devotion, Spoiler Alert, Women Talking) were based on books and had to keep their titles (or at least an abbreviated version of them, ala "Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies" becoming simply "Spoiler Alert") and the books themselves weren't popular enough to ensure a level of box office success to make up for the un-marquee-friendly nature of their titles (and in most cases, their subject matter).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:
5 (5) Devotion Sony Pictures $2,000,000 -27% 3,458 +53 $578 $16,972,419 3

- (-) Spoiler Alert Focus Features $700,000 +744% 783 +777 $894 $802,593 2

- (9) Bones and All United Artists $564,052 -53% 1,707 -1,020 $330 $7,267,557 4

Spoiler Alert making Bros look like Wakanda Forever in comparison.

Spoiler Alert had one of the most whack demo breakdowns...of the few who showed up...

"Spoiler Alert, based on the Michael Ausiello tome, made $700K after a $230K Friday at 783 theaters (+777). That’s good enough to get the movie into the top 10. Good PostTrak scores with 91% and Rotten Tomatoes audience at 93% from those who showed up, that being 58% guys, 45% between 18-34,  66% Caucasian, 15% Latino and Hispanic, 2% Black, & 17% Asian/other."

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-avatar-way-of-water-wakanda-forever-second-lowest-1235195382/

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

@Shawn Any idea what Father Stu did this weekend? Or why they thought it was a good idea to re-release it?? :bash:

Of some note, Sony mounted a rerelease of its religious drama “Father Stu” this weekend, issuing a PG-13 edition of the Mark Wahlberg drama entitled “Father Stu: Reborn.” Playing in a substantial tally of 993 theaters, the film is projecting an $108,000 haul for the weekend, marking a $109 per-theater-average. After first releasing in April, total domestic sales for “Father Stu” now stand at $20.9 million.

'Wakanda Forever' Leads Quiet Box Office as 'Avatar 2' Looms - Variety

Giggle Biglaugh GIFs | Tenor

• Sad 1

https://deadline.com/2022/12/black-panther-wakanda-forever-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-global-international-box-office-1235195914/

Meanwhile, Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Puss In Boots: The Last Wish began its international rollout, playing in 24 markets across 3,083 screens. The cume through Sunday is $8.9M, just slightly off the start of Sing 2 when excluding previews. 

Had no idea this came out early overseas this weekend. Good for them I guess.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

@Shawn Any idea what Father Stu did this weekend? Or why they thought it was a good idea to re-release it?? :bash:

Sony didn't officially report it, but other studios had it around $110K for the weekend.

As to the second question... because they could? *shrug*

• Thanks 1