Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 9/12-11/12

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

ala "Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies" becoming simply "Spoiler Alert") 

wasnt it originally announced with the full (and much better) title?

why'd they change it?

28 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wasnt it originally announced with the full (and much better) title?

why'd they change it?

Too long and too much of a downer, probably.

The marketing changed gears in general in recent weeks after all the dramas sputtered. The movie's final poster shows practically zero indication that it's a cancer drama like the earlier one did:

Nov 28 | Focus Features' Spoiler Alert: Jim Parsons, Ben Aldridge, and  Michael Ausiello | Upper East Side, NY Patch

Spoiler Alert film poster.png

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like "bad title" could be applied to most of the movies that struggled this fall, but the thing of note is that a number of those movies (Bones and All, She Said, Devotion, Spoiler Alert, Women Talking) were based on books and had to keep their titles (or at least an abbreviated version of them, ala "Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies" becoming simply "Spoiler Alert") and the books themselves weren't popular enough to ensure a level of box office success to make up for the un-marquee-friendly nature of their titles (and in most cases, their subject matter).

A movie doesn’t have to keep the book's title, unless authors/estates are that ego driven that it was a condition of selling the rights. Maybe studios think of book fans as a built-in audience and worry they won't show up if the adaptation is called something else. But what they're doing now clearly isn't working at the moment. People are laughing at Sony's preemptive branding move to "The Whitney Houston Movie - I Wanna Dance With Somebody", but I think a similar sort of thing wouldn’t have hurt these other movies. How about...

• Bones and All: A Cannibal Love Story (the trailers don't hide this, so it's fair game for the title)
  • She Said: The Takedown of a Hollywood Monster or She Said: Hollywood Harassment Exposed, if you don't want to make him a title character.
  • Devotion... Honestly, after reading the plot, maybe it should’ve just been a documentary. Then, the long title wouldn’t have mattered.
  • Spoiler Alert, if they were going to stick with any form of that title, needed to explain it the trailer. I haven't seen the movie so maybe something like this happens, but... It's a love story. You show a snippet of an early date: Michael explains that he provides TV spoilers for a living, Kit hates the idea of knowing the ending ahead of time, Michael says it helps people be prepared, but Kit protests that not knowing is part of the fun of watching, and anyway, life doesn't work like that. "Would you want to know how it all ends?" And, you've framed the rest of the story...
  • Women Talking is pretty tough as a title. 12 Angry Women is probably too derivative, but would signal what to expect. Also, the book is inspired by real-life events in Bolivia?! Bolivian Mennonites are a thing...

OT: In my return to having D+, I'm catching up on my missing Disney material.

James Gunn - you're a genius.  The Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas special is great!  There can not be too much Kevin Bacon in it!  A solid A/A- tv special (only Mantis gets a little ding for maybe overacting the part)...

And I watched the Eternals, and I thought it was a very cold movie.  It was so disconnected to what a human person might actually struggle with for the conflict, and it had moments with no set up that ended up making no sense.  It was the definition of incredibly mediocre, and the definition of missing the concept of the originating characters from the comics.  When you do both, you get a box office like they did.  I didn't hate it - but I will never watch it again.  It's a C/C- grade from me.  If someone who REALLY knew the Eternals and Deviants from the comics took a shot, I'd expect it would have been much better from the starting concept stage...

• Like 2