TMP

Untitled PTA Project | August 8, 2025 | DiCaprio eyed to lead

On 1/10/2024 at 12:03 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Based on what I've read about the movie, this being his more commercial seems about right.

Edit: nvm didn't realise the rumors were it was an adaptation of Pynchon. Probably something else then

Thomas Pycheon would be a very difficult writer to adapt to the screen.

Anything PTA does is of interest of course.

I still think he should have won his Oscar for "There Will Be Blood".

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I could not find this thread. Anyway I hope this is wrong. DanielRPK is not always right. 

Why do you hope it's wrong info? This premise would generate lots controversy/publicity. Could be good for box office

I guess this is the "civil war" premise Twitter activists wanted the Garland movie to be

PTA doesn't seem the type to lean in to histrionics though, probably gonna be much more subdued than the scooperbro writeup indicates

Edited by AniNate

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Plus knowing PTA, it wont be GA friendly as well. 

Eh, PTA has totally proven to be capable of making something GA friendly (like Punch Drunk Love and Licorice Pizza aren't exactly esoteric) and he must've come to WB with something palatable for them to give him over 100 million.

53 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Eh, PTA has totally proven to be capable of making something GA friendly (like Punch Drunk Love and Licorice Pizza aren't exactly esoteric) and he must've come to WB with something palatable for them to give him over 100 million.

debatable how GA friendly they were. Punch Drunk Love with Sandler did under 18m domestic and 25m WW. Sandler used to have regular 100m hits back then. Licorize pizza is another BO flop though that opened in COVID era. I dont think PTA is any hook for audience and Leo has 1B grosser that is Titanic. Only Inception came close and that is a sci-fi action movie with Nolan coming after Dark Knight. 

if this movie does 200m WW its great. WB is financing it as a prestige project. Not for a blockbuster success. 

54 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

debatable how GA friendly they were. Punch Drunk Love with Sandler did under 18m domestic and 25m WW. Sandler used to have regular 100m hits back then. Licorize pizza is another BO flop though that opened in COVID era. I dont think PTA is any hook for audience and Leo has 1B grosser that is Titanic. Only Inception came close and that is a sci-fi action movie with Nolan coming after Dark Knight. 

if this movie does 200m WW its great. WB is financing it as a prestige project. Not for a blockbuster success. 

IMAX, 9 figure budget, and August release doesn't scream just prestige project to me. Now I'm not denying Punch Drunk Love and Licorice Pizza didn't make much money. I was only arguing that they are pretty easy to watch movies. Idk, this is rumored to be action heavy. Could be the most action heavy film Dicaprio has been in since Inception.

Also I'm not saying it makes $1 billion if you are using my previous comments as an indication of my prediction. That was a joke. $200 mil sounds way too low tho. Killers of the Flower Moon made $160 mil and that's Leo's least GA friendly film in eons. I'm expecting The Revenant numbers for this if it's the kind of film I'm expecting it to be.

Edited by lorddemaxus

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

IMAX, 9 figure budget, and August release doesn't scream just prestige project to me. Now I'm not denying Punch Drunk Love and Licorice Pizza didn't make much money. I was only arguing that they are pretty easy to watch movies. Idk, this is rumored to be action heavy. Could be the most action heavy film Dicaprio has been in since Inception.

Also I'm not saying it makes $1 billion if you are using my previous comments as an indication of my prediction. That was a joke. $200 mil sounds way too low tho. Killers of the Flower Moon made $160 mil and that's Leo's least GA friendly film in eons. I'm expecting The Revenant numbers for this if it's the kind of film I'm expecting it to be.

Let us see. Revenant was a limited release in christmas that built significant oscar buzz and Leo/Hardy combo to ride Jan/Feb BO season. This is a summer release. I am skeptical it can get that high. PTA has zero audience hook. If Punch Drunk Love with a superstar could not even open and I am skeptical he is going to do it in 2025. 

30 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Let us see. Revenant was a limited release in christmas that built significant oscar buzz and Leo/Hardy combo to ride Jan/Feb BO season. This is a summer release. I am skeptical it can get that high. PTA has zero audience hook. If Punch Drunk Love with a superstar could not even open and I am skeptical he is going to do it in 2025. 

Punch Drunk Love was a very small release. This is getting a blockbuster release with PLFs and probably over 3000 theater count for its OW. If this ends up being an action-thriller like I expect it to, it's looking at much bigger numbers than anything else PTA has made.

Also PTA has the same kind of audience hook Gerwig had before Barbie and Villeneuve had before Dune. He has a pretty strong core fanbase (and iirc Licorice Pizza did quite well for a limited release because of this). Easily exploitable into more general interest if the movie itself is a crowd pleaser.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Adding onto my previous comment, Licorice Pizza has both the 2nd and 5th largest PTA for a post-pandemic film. PTA obviously isn't a famous director but he definitely does have a "hook". He just has never had a geniunely big release before.