Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

14 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Even with the still limited expansion, are we anywhere near the phrase "The Fablemans has been rejected by audiences" yet? Or at least "The wide audience simply wasn't interested in the premise underpinning The Fablemans"?

$40m price tag.

$40m but it looks 10x better than SHE SAID which cost $55m! 🤯

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Babylon Estimates

3-days Weekend - $3.5M

4-days Weekend - $5.3M

No co-financers here, however, the $1.48 billion global bounty from the studio’s Top Gun: Maverick will hopefully cover the shortfall here for the Melrose Lot.

48 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Puss in Boots is another family mega bomb. This audience is just not coming back to theaters ever again.

It is too damn expensive for the experience given...

Other movies are single and double ticket buys by subscribers who get discount tickets or sunk cost buys.

Families have no subscriptions available.  So, they are buying 4-6 tickets at full price.

That's a fail,  That's been a fail.  I've beaten that drum since Covid's beginnings.  No theater has cared to correct this wild oversight.  They had just hoped to keep dragging them in.

• Like 3

Deadline Hollywood

All titles today at the Christmas box office look to make $39.3M, +77% of Christmas Eve’s downer $22.2M (which was off 26% from Friday). Christmas day looks to be off 32% from the holiday a year ago when Spider-Man: No Way Home was on the marquee, Omicron raged, and there were better weather conditions.

33 minutes ago, Cap said:

I am taking my niece (and probably her friend) to see Puss In Boots next week. No way we were doing it this weekend between the holiday and the storm. 💯

We're going, too.  I'm deciding whether to wait for cheap Tuesday to finally arrive again Jan 3...or if I'm gonna use my saved Cinemark credits.  Or if I'm gonna brave the one independent theater here who has terrible non-reserved seats, but who is keeping cheap Tuesday this week.

AKA - I'm not paying $100 for Puss...but I am probably paying something for it...I admit I'm waiting to see if the open brings a deal for this week's weekdays...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Day estimates for Avatar over the weekend.

Dec 23, 2022 1 $19,500,000 +33% -63% 4,202 $4,641   $217,181,686 8
Dec 24, 2022 - $15,000,000 -23% -66% 4,202 $3,570   $232,181,686 9
Dec 25, 2022 - $21,500,000 +43% -41% 4,202 $5,117   $253,681,686 10

if this estimates are correct for sat and sun then mon would need to be around 34M monday for a 90m+ 4 day week 

Pretty strong Sat holds across the board,  better than 2016, suggesting Fri was more weather impacted (snow) than Sat (cold). I’m expecting numbers to be improved starting today, though everything below Avatwo is starting from a low baseline 

15 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

I not sure why some of you are so shocked at Puss In Boots. The original came out in 2011 and only did 149 million. Who asked for a sequel? 

I mean it’s still attached to a huge franchise that people are super nostalgic for and is still popular. When the first two Shrek films came on Netflix a few months ago, people were talking about them on social media nonstop. Plus the ad campaign was everywhere during the World Cup and Quorum showed that people knew this was coming out. I see no reason why it couldn’t have at least matched the first Puss in Boots’ final gross after over a decade of inflation. But kids don’t care about theaters and I guess the nostalgia appeal wasn’t strong enough for the older crowd. Oh well

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I think it's time to accept that the Gentleminions trend, no matter how much people here try to downplay it, saved Minions 2. It still remains the only new age animated movie to come anywhere close to the old age ones. Without the TikTok army it would've fizzled out at around $400M, maybe $500M worldwide.

At this rate the Mario movie might not perform all that much better than Detective Pikachu.

I think Barbie and Mario are the two next "teen army" movies that could pop - depending how marketing sells them.

Both could get teen army dress ups that could be wildly fun.  Both could have tie in activities to swell the interest.  But, they have to want to spend on the marketing to do it...

4 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

if this estimates are correct for sat and sun then mon would need to be around 34M monday for a 90m+ 4 day week 

SUN is lowballed hard 

Absolutely no reason to think it would jump so little considering both FRI and SAT was deflated at some degreed by the storms and cold (and SAT already have a super strong hold)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Barbie and Mario are the two next "teen army" movies that could pop - depending how marketing sells them.

Both could get teen army dress ups that could be wildly fun.  Both could have tie in activities to swell the interest.  But, they have to want to spend on the marketing to do it...

Already contemplating to buy a Mario costume at Party City to wear for the movie. I am part of the problem. 😢 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3