Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

31 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Gotcha, thank you!

Overall seems pretty solid. I was assuming anything over 20m a win.

I'm think 22m-24m

The naysayers feeling nervous brother spider.

" The sully family is coming!"

For both wingmans 👑s

....Meanwhile 

Oh Yeah What GIF by Regal

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney had some notable whiffs (the animated movies, Amsterdam, Death on the Nile) and while the Marvel movies made a ton of money, none of them truly overperformed what was expected from them, somewhat disappointing considering Disney is always the studio with the highest of expectations every year. Sony on the other hand enjoyed some surprise hits (Uncharted, Where the Crawdads Sing, Bullet Train, The Woman King) in a year largely devoid of them, which was enough to make up for their underperformers.

I would still not put Sony over Disney, though. Sony's biggest movie this year, UNCHARTED, only made $148.6 M and is outside of the top 10. In fact, it's their 2021 title, SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, that gave them the most money for 2022, with $231.8 M as spillover.

UNCHARTED is also their biggest release worldwide, but it's also outside the top 10 with just $401.7 M. Next to that is BULLET TRAIN with just $239.3 M worldwide.

Yes, Disney has had misfires and disappointments based on expectations this year, but 40% of the biggest releases domestically and worldwide in 2022 are Disney properties.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Yeah. Again, quite as expected.  

The more dubious detail in the parody discussing film tweet is Chloe returning.

So why were people freaking out saying it's not happening? Was it the title or Chloe returning?

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

So why were people freaking out saying it's not happening? Was it the title or Chloe returning?

Because it's from a DiscussingFilm parody account and for a split second people thought it was a legit announcement. Maybe it's a for sure done deal, but until we get actual word from a valid source, we don't want false information on here to spread.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

People were saying the announcement was fake, because it is, Not that the movie wouldn’t happen.

8 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

boring run domesticly interesting worldwide though

Yea, 300 mill in 13 days is so boring.  How many films have made 300 mill in 2022?  By my count, 8 including A2, and it just set the record for biggest second Monday ever.  What exactly were you expecting in order for it to not be boring.  This is anything but a boring domestic run.  It'll be the 2nd highest grossing film of the year by the end of its run.  Boring?  I don't see it that way. Maybe your expectations are out of whack.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, 300 mill in 13 days is so boring.  How many films have made 300 mill in 2022?  By my count, 8 including A2, and it just set the record for biggest second Monday ever.  What exactly were you expecting in order for it to not be boring.  This is anything but a boring domestic run.  It'll be the 2nd highest grossing film of the year by the end of its run.  Boring?  I don't see it that way. Maybe your expectations are out of whack.

over 700m like the first

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, 300 mill in 13 days is so boring. 

This but unironically.   

Not only is it a level of ticket sales we’ve seen many many times before, but it’s performing mostly in line with but a bit below expectations. Very little in the way of daily surprises either, the whole run so far is extremely close to   “Tracking thread numbers for OW and follow RO from there (+ a couple days bad weather)”

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would side with those saying the DOM run is currently pretty boring overall (CD was a glimmer of excitement)… but plenty of time for it to still get interesting. January is barren and Feb has only 1 real competitor relatively late in. Even March looks more like several potential under-performers than big hits. A2 could be very leggy. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

Also fwiw, this is the 4th film this year to do 300 in 12 days or less and the only one to do it with significant help from xmas (though BP had veterans/thanksgiving and TGM did it in 11 with mdw+summer).   

When TDKR did 300M in 12 days that was enough for DOM top 40. When Dory did it in 2016 it was just outside DOM top 50. Now it’s just barely DOM top 100. 300 is a far cry from what it used to be.

• Like 5