charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

So Avatar ended up having a Rogue One second Thursday drop overall. In fact, a BETTER drop! Here I was thinking "okay, the drop was more steep because of the better Wednesday hold".

Weekend has a good chance of hitting $60M at this point...

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

To be fair, THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER actually made a better total than THOR: RAGNAROK internationally. It was BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER that really struggled for obvious reasons.

RAGNAROK

$403.0 M without China and Russia

LOVE AND THUNDER

$417.7 M without China and Russia

BLACK PANTHER

$557.4 M without China and Russia

WAKANDA FOREVER

$375.3 M without China and Russia

That's a $180 M drop for BP: WF.

---

Based on the previous movies' box office, how do you think Marvel's titles will perform next year?

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

$406.0 M overseas total

$279.4 M without China and Russia

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY II

$473.9 M overseas total

$345.3 M without China and Russia

CAPTAIN MARVEL

$701.6 M overseas total

$527.4 M without China and Russia

I'm thinking:

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA

$300 M - $350 M

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY III

$400 M - $450 M

THE MARVELS

$400 M - $450 M

Good call on Thor. Hadn't actually broken down all the I overseas numbers to compare to Ragnarok. I guess the feeling of disappointment or underperformance must have come more from the domestic side of things. 

Looking at your breakdowns, I'm realizing just how much China added to everything. I guess the audience dropoff overseas isn't as big as I thought. Like you said though, Wakanda Forever did legitimately underperform, even taking into account the likely drop from the first one.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

So the concervative mid day projections are due to Canada overperforming? Or tracking and live BO data for Canada in general arent as reliable / clear cut as US ones so there is extra uncertainty either way for projections

We’re just working with a very small sample size atm based on scraping limitations. Worked out pretty well for most days of the run but you can’t totally eliminate the 98% out of sample moving differently which is one reason I’ve tried to emphasize large ranges (though today is a yuge miss, hopefully those remain rare or the realistic range is going to be so large as to be useless 😛 )

And as Jat says, there may be systematic patterns in chain/natl movement that we can anticipate and correct for with more movies under the belt. 

Though this is xmas period so we may not have had the right data to see it coming even if we’d been at it for 9 months now.

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

what are you guys gonna do when you realise your comps are all useless because there's only 1 Avatar 2

avatar 1 is def not usable. it is to be seen if A2 can trend as well as NWH in late legs.

A1 was already trending strongly before holidays, A2 hasn't shown those massive improvements.
(@M37 did a very good visual representation other day.)

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I feel there is a massive desire by audiences for non superhero blockbusters

That is why Jurassic Dominion still did a billion even though it was such trash.

That is why Top Gun Maverick became an all time hit.

and why avatar will cruise to 2 billion. 

While I agree that people want more options, Strange 2 and potentially Panther 2 would've likely both grossed more than Dominion WW if they'd have gotten a China release. Sans China, Dominion does less than both WW. So this is a bit misleading. But, more so, Jurassic franchise is huge and bigger than superhero movies on average.

Top Gun was huge for a number of reasons... But, primarily due to the phenomenal theatrical experience with the show Kosinski and Cruise put on. It'll be a Best Picture nominee and is arguably the best received non superhero blockbuster since Fury Road.

Avatar was already bigger than superhero movies, especially OS, aside from maybe one Avengers movie.

Think this is massively over simplifying things.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

While I agree that people want more options, Strange 2 and potentially Panther 2 would've likely both grossed more WW if they'd have gotten a China release. Sans China, Dominion does less than both WW. So this is a bit misleading. But, more so, Jurassic franchise is huge and bigger than superhero movies on average.

I am not sure if Black Panther has enough juice in the tank to outgross JW3-China. JW3 without China did ~844M. Black Panther is sitting at 806M.