filmlover

2022 Screen Actors Guild Awards nominations

Nominations coming up in the morning (in what's looking to be quite an active week) for what's looking to be the first ceremony that won't be broadcast? TNT/TBS dumped them amidst the whole WB/HBO/Discovery drama and apparently no one wanted to pick them up.

Will update with the nominees when they are announced.

Best Ensemble

Babylon

The Banshees of Inisherin

Everything Everywhere All at Once

The Fabelmans

Women Talking

Best Actor

Austin Butler, Elvis

Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin

Brendan Fraser, The Whale

Bill Nighy, Living

Adam Sandler, Hustle

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, TAR

Viola Davis, The Woman King

Ana de Armas, Blonde

Danielle Deadwyler, Till

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actor

Paul Dano, The Fabelmans

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin

Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Eddie Redmayne, The Good Nurse

Best Supporting Actress

Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Hong Chau, The Whale

Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Stunt Ensemble

The Batman

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Top Gun: Maverick

The Woman King

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Updated with nominees.

No Williams! Imagine if the decision to go Lead ends with her getting snubbed in favor of de Armas in that bomb lol.

She went from favorite for the win in Supporting to being completely shut out because of a bad decision.

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Cruise snub wild

This definitely feels like the end of that dream, the lack of Top Gun love even in Ensemble seems to indicate it's not much of a threat to win Best Picture anymore either.

No Hanks either for that divisive performance, if anyone was gonna fall for him doing that shtick it would've been SAG.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

She Said and Women Talking have had a bad season. I remember at the start of the season the expectation for Supporting Actress was that Michelle Williams would win and those 2 movies would provide the remaining 4 nominations.

Women Talking still got in for Ensemble so not a total loss.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

top gun not an acting movie not sure why people are talking about it here? although yes glen powell was a huge snub.

SAG sure does love their populist fare. If Cruise were to happen anywhere, it was definitely here or nothing. Looks like the answer is definitively "nothing" re: his chances in that barren Best Actor field.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but not sure why would tom cruise happen anywhere? it just seems weird to me people talking about it like it's a big miss. that's like saying sam worthington not being here for avatar 2 is a big miss as well.

I think it's because he's seen as the main total creative force behind this movie even though Kosinski is listed as the director. It's his baby all the way, not to mention he hasn't been nominated in 23 years. But at the same time I'm not surprised he didn't happen for this: it's very much the definition of what's been established as a "Tom Cruise" performance and we probably shouldn't discount his off-screen baggage as well.

BTW it's just been announced Netflix will be streaming these live next year (this year's ceremony will stream on YouTube). I guess we can expect an especially strong showing for Netflix at the next ceremony lol, depending on their output (I believe on the movie side the only contenders they have are the new BCoop and Fincher joints).

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but not sure why would tom cruise happen anywhere? it just seems weird to me people talking about it like it's a big miss. that's like saying sam worthington not being here for avatar 2 is a big miss as well.

The field was barren and some people deluded themselves into thinking he might happen, but performances in action and horror movies rarely happen

33 minutes ago, Maggie said:

and for Snadler. the worst mainstream actor in HW. that gotta sting for Cruise

insane to say this after uncut gems & punch drunk love, but especially wild that you think he's somehow worse than most mainstream actors like the rock and ryan reynolds

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

insane to say this after uncut gems & punch drunk love, but especially wild that you think he's somehow worse than most mainstream actors like the rock and ryan reynolds

Uncut Gems was good, i admit. How is Hustle? I don't consider The Rock a serious actor lol

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Uncut Gems was good, i admit. How is Hustle? I don't consider The Rock a serious actor lol

Hustle is pretty good! Much better than the kind of "popular today, forgotten tomorrow" fluff that are among the most watched Netflix productions.

• Like 1

SAG Ensemble probably saved Women Talking's BP chances

Brutal miss for Michelle Williams. Should have gone Supporting.

Ana de Armas is probably making the Oscar. Either at the expense of Deadwyler or Davis. If Woman King makes PGA, I'd go Deadwyler

I think that Supporting Actress lineup could be the Oscar 5

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

BTW it's just been announced Netflix will be streaming these live next year (this year's ceremony will stream on YouTube). I guess we can expect an especially strong showing for Netflix at the next ceremony lol, depending on their output (I believe on the movie side the only contenders they have are the new BCoop and Fincher joints).

IDK, Disney has owned ABC for decades and it hasn't really helped them dominate the Oscars. They couldn't get that Popular Film category added, or Endgame into Best Picture. No Way Home was Sony, but Disney gets a cut and the Hashtag Oscars were supposed to be the MCU's shining moment. So, I'm not too worried about undo influence. On the other hand, Netflix has pursued awards a whole lot more than Disney in the last decade, and the SAG Awards might be more easily influenced.

Mildly surprised Elvis didn't make Ensemble, since SAG went for Bohemian Rhapsody there. Babylon and Women Talking live!

Sandler has been campaigning hard for Hustle and SAG has had way more random nominations than that before.