Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

The only place severely affected by COVID was China. These numbers were always not going to happen.

Well i didnt mean countiies going through a sudden covid surge like China, i means attendancies being down post pandemic, which they are.

Estimates are 70-80% of what they were pre-pandemic. I mean you only have to look at how many movies underpeform to see that. People go on about it all the time on here 'The climate has changed and we need to accept it' etc.

Even Cameron himself said if it was up to him he would of delayed the film a few years, in an 'ideal world'.

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Well i didnt mean countiies going through a sudden covid surge like China, i means attendancies being down post pandemic, which they are.

Estimates are 70-80% of what they were pre-pandemic. I mean you only have to look at how many movies underpeform to see that. People go on about it all the time on here 'The climate has changed and we need to accept it' etc.

Even Cameron himself said if it was up to him he would of delayed the film a few years, in an 'ideal world'.

The point is that these are all impossible theoreticals. There's no way of telling how well it would have done in a non-COVID environment, we had similar discussions during NWH's run and that went nowhere. The only thing I can say is that this movie is already doing extremely well right now, and if a ~670m/2.2b run is somehow disappointing, that points more towards expectations than the outcome

• Like 3

Hate to tell Avafans this, but this has been a really good game between the Niners and Seahawks (Niners might be pulling away now in the 4th quarter).

(I don't think it's making that much difference, but this hasn't been a laugher causing folks to tune out early and do something else with their day)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

The point is that these are all impossible theoreticals. There's no way of telling how well it would have done in a non-COVID environment, we had similar discussions during NWH's run and that went nowhere. The only thing I can say is that this movie is already doing extremely well right now, and if a ~670m/2.2b run is somehow disappointing, that points more towards expectations than the outcome

I dont think those numbers are dissapointing, in fact i bet Disney are over the moon. Cameron couldnt stop smiling at the Golden Globes when interviewers kept going on about the film passing 2bil.

I'm just saying either the cinema going climate has changed because of the pandemic, or it hasnt. We cant have it both ways depending on what film we are talking about.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I totally dismissed Puss in Boots in a post after its opening weekend, thinking no one cared about the character anymore. A month later, the WOM has convinced me to see it on Monday.

You wont regret it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(but this hasn't been a laugher causing folks to tune out early and do something else with their day)

Well it wasn't until just now. :lol:

(late enough in the game not to really make much of a difference, mind)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I dont think those numbers are dissapointing, in fact i bet Disney are over the moon. Cameron couldnt stop smiling at the Golden Globes when interviewers kept going on about the film passing 2bil.

I'm just saying either the cinema going climate has changed because of the pandemic, or it hasnt. We cant have it both ways depending on what film we are talking about.

Yeah I hate seeing people diminishing Avatar 2s run by comparing it with the runs of other films from 10 years ago and saying "adjusted for inflation it's massively underperforming". The world doesn't work like that. Sure over a long period of time, the prices of things will generally increase by ~5% a year, but on a micro scale things are very different, and a global pandemic is obviously going to have an enormous effect and buck the trend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think one thing everyone can agree on is that Avatar 2's run - no matter if it finishes at 2,1B or 2,4B WW or 620M DOM or 651M DOM - is a much-needed boost for theaters worldwide. Especially in OS countrys like Germany or Italy where moviegoing was in a bad shape already pre-Covid and now is just depressing, the film proved that people are still willing to come out in huge numbers for the right movie.

And further than that, Avatar 2 could maybe remind some people, who have lost interest in movie theaters during Covid, that going to them is a special experience that just cant be replicated in the same way at home. So maybe some of those people will now go to see movies in cinemas instead of waiting for the VOD release. I realize this sounds like hopium, but i do think atleast a small amount of people could think that way and in this sense, Avatar 2 could be a life-safer/prolonger for many theaters around the world.

• Like 13

As an off topic observation.

GOOD FUCKING GOD, ARE THE NINERS SCARY. :o

Been held in check for most of the day. Defense was under performing to a degree.  Just fucking exploded in the last 20 minutes or so.  Some of it was grinding the other side continuously until they started making mistakes, but part of it was sheer explosiveness.

I still ain't entirely sold on Brock Purdy so I can't put them at the Bills or Chiefs level.  Hell, I'm even uncertain about putting them at the level of the Eagles, presuming Hurts is fully healed by the time they match up (which might not be gaurenteed).

BUT HOLY FUCKING SMOKES, ARE THE NINERS SCARY!!!

This might just be their year even with Purdy at the helm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think one thing everyone can agree on is that Avatar 2's run - no matter if it finishes at 2,1B or 2,4B WW or 620M DOM or 651M DOM - is a much-needed boost for theaters worldwide. Especially in OS countrys like Germany or Italy where moviegoing was in a bad shape already pre-Covid and now is just depressing, the film proved that people are still willing to come out in huge numbers for the right movie.

And further than that, Avatar 2 could maybe remind some people, who have lost interest in movie theaters during Covid, that going to them is a special experience that just cant be replicated in the same way at home. So maybe some of those people will now go to see movies in cinemas instead of waiting for the VOD release. I realize this sounds like hopium, but i do think atleast a small amount of people could think that way and in this sense, Avatar 2 could be a life-safer/prolonger for many theaters around the world.

I dont think its 'hopium' to be honest. There will literally be millions of people where A2 was there first time back at a cinema after covid.

I still believe cinema's can get back to pre-pandemic levels. No matter how conveniant it is with streaming and home cinema etc, nothing beats the cinema experience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Been held in check for most of the day. Defense was under performing to a degree.  Just fucking exploded in the last 20 minutes or so.  Some of it was grinding the other side continuously until they started making mistakes, but part of it was sheer explosiveness.

I still ain't entirely sold on Brock Purdy so I can't put them at the Bills or Chiefs level.  Hell, I'm even uncertain about putting them at the level of the Eagles, presuming Hurts is fully healed by the time they match up (which might not be gaurenteed).

Purdy tried to torch their run by getting himself killed holding onto the ball WAY too long on the last play before the FG.

I admit, for the Eagles benefit, I was cheering for Seattle...49ers should be a shoe-in for the Super Bowl and even the win, if they don't choke or get a rash of injuries.  They just have so much dang talent...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Purdy tried to torch their run by getting himself killed on the last play before the FG.

I admit, for the Eagles benefit, I was cheering for Seattle...49ers should be a shoe-in for the Super Bowl and even the win, if they don't choke or get a rash of injuries.  They just have so much dang talent...

I don't know about "shoe-in", as Hurts is really really good (had him on my fantasy team and he nearly single handedly carried me to a title), but I do agree that the Niners have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

Should the Niners and Eagles meet in the NFC Championship Game, it should be a hell of a contest. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They're my NFC SB team. Niners vs Bills.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't know about "shoe-in", as Hurts is really really good (had him on my fantasy team and he nearly single handedly carried me to a title), but I do agree that the Niners have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

Should the Niners and Eagles meet in the NFC Championship Game, it should be a hell of a contest. 

Yeah, but Hurts is hurt...and with Hurts hurt, he can't do what it's gonna take to beat that defense...

Plus Lane Johnson is hurt...and the Eagles O-line lives and dies with that guy...so the Eagles can't keep Hurts from getting hit and more hurt.

And the Eagles struggle stopping 2-dimensional offenses, especially ones that include great runners (they are better at stopping a Miami type team with star WRs and no RBs)...SF is LOADED at RB and they have just enough dimensions to make the Eagles probably look embarrased.

Their only shot in a SF game is to get a lead and get one early...and try to force SF into a throwing game, b/c then they do win.  But it's tough to ask Hurts and the offense to score on that defense, and not just to score, but to keep scoring every drive...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

May sound strange coming from a Dallas fan of 45 years but I absolutely love watching the Niners right now.  What and how they are doing is great on both sides of the ball.  Plus, as I've gotten older, I just enjoy watching when good teams get on their runs. I also don't live and die with just my team anymore.  Makes watching football and especially the playoffs much more enjoyable.  I sleep better too. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1