kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

Korea

Naver has fallen from 8.56 Start to 6.89. I think no way it can be overturn by tomorrow score will fall below 6.5 &on Monday we will likely be at the range of 5.5 or something or may be below 5.0 or 4.0. I don't know but it's gone now. Need some push from UK/Germany and Oceania or else it's dead in OS. Seriously $250M OS is now questionable

• Like 2

What a surprise, the 3 protagonists of the movie (Ariel and her friends crab and fish) looks nothing like the original, and in addition the movie is at least 30 minutes longer than what it should have been. Will be lucky to reach 700M

34 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm sorry but this is cherry picking. Aladdin's opening day was about 100k Euros higher here, and that still ended up with a quite disappointing 15.5 M tally.

Besides, having the 5th best opening day of the year is nothing to brag about: Out of the top 5 movies in Italy this year, only one (MARIO) grossed over 10M Euros. Ant-Man rounds up the top 5 and that finished with 5M, which would be a disaster for TLM. Anything under 10M would be a disaster, actually.

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be merged with the other one?

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

47 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I'm sorry but this is cherry picking. Aladdin's opening day was about 100k Euros higher here, and that still ended up with a quite disappointing 15.5 M tally.

Besides, having the 5th best opening day of the year is nothing to brag about: Out of the top 5 movies in Italy this year, only one (MARIO) grossed over 10M Euros. Ant-Man rounds up the top 5 and that finished with 5M, which would be a disaster for TLM. Anything under 10M would be a disaster, actually.

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be merged with the other one?

What do you see for the weekend?

29 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

What do you see for the weekend?

Anything from 4 to 6M Euros for the 5 days, depending on the weather. If it's a sunny and hot weekend, the numbers will be very low, otherwise there are some chances of getting near Aladdin's 5 days OW which was 6.5 M.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GipJo said:

Safe choices or wrong choices? If it's an entirely original black princess story it wouldn't have faced so much backlash. Look at Brave and Encanto, they're not monstrous but still pull decent numbers. It's Disney fault that they can't write an actual original diverse story with diverse casts. If they really are diverse like they're trying to do, the lesbian queerbait of Frozen should have been fully realized and we could have a gay princess already. I don't think we should blame the viewers for Disney checking the boxes only.

The Frozen live action remake will have both actresses that play the sisters be whiter than snow for sure now. But Disney will troll everyone by making Elsa a lesbian with 3 girlfriends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Frozen live action remake will have both actresses that play the sisters be whiter than snow for sure now. But Disney will troll everyone by making Elsa a lesbian with 3 girlfriends.

Well this would certainly make the film much more interesting 😏, but in any case don't be so sure on their future actresses because look for example at Snowhite, her actress for sure doesn't have "skin as white as the snow"... 

Edited by MG10
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Sub 250m seems rush for me. Will see how the weekend goes . But even with 80M+ can see it getting to 300m+ with Japan contributing hopefully 60m+

Expect a solid enough performance in Europe too. 

Also think it can play well enough with families . 

It ain’t making $60M in Japan. $30M at most. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GipJo said:

Safe choices or wrong choices? If it's an entirely original black princess story it wouldn't have faced so much backlash. Look at Brave and Encanto, they're not monstrous but still pull decent numbers. It's Disney fault that they can't write an actual original diverse story with diverse casts. If they really are diverse like they're trying to do, the lesbian queerbait of Frozen should have been fully realized and we could have a gay princess already. I don't think we should blame the viewers for Disney checking the boxes only.

I think the issue here is that the casting change the way how people remember Mermaid and over here in Asia, people prefer sticking to the original. I bet if Disney cast a yellow to play Mermaid, the biggest backlash won't not be from the USA itself but the East Asia. People here simply hate changes. The comment in every marketing material about Mermaid, posted by the local theater chain have been largely negative. 

Also yes, I don't know what is holding Disney to introduce another Black princess. It has been 14 years since Princess and the Frog. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think the issue here is that the casting change the way how people remember Mermaid and over here in Asia, people prefer sticking to the original. I bet if Disney cast a yellow to play Mermaid, the biggest backlash won't not be from the USA itself but the East Asia. People here simply hate changes. The comment in every marketing material about Mermaid, posted by the local theater chain have been largely negative. 

Also yes, I don't know what is holding Disney to introduce another Black princess. It has been 14 years since Princess and the Frog. 

Cast a yellow? Really? We aren't in 1957.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Press x to doubt

It might not move the needle (of interest). There might be disinterest. You could even say that's it's likely there would be disinterest and i'd be inclined to agree. after all lots of these countries see themselves on the screen locally all the time. Not a big deal. But vitriol? backlash? to this degree? Nah. Very few would care enough. 

Edited by ogkalu