kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

All these projections suck. Let us see what @charlie Jatinder comes up with. 

Too small and bad to really not bother. I could see something like 80-100 happen.

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

If Variety's 80 million is true...Then internationally, Fast X will probably repeat #1

Is that just INT or worldwide? because most likely TLM DOM be enough to beat Fast X WW. Just eyeballing the numbers, something like 80-90M 2nd weekend for Fast X is likely INT, possibly lower.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Too small and bad to really not bother. I could see something like 80-100 happen.

Is that just INT or worldwide? because most likely TLM DOM be enough to beat Fast X WW. Just eyeballing the numbers, something like 80-90M 2nd weekend for Fast X is likely INT, possibly lower.

80m for fast would be high 60s % drop for the movie. That would be rough for sure. But its not shocking either. 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

80m for fast would be high 60s % drop for the movie. That would be rough for sure. But its not shocking either. 

Yeah. The biggest drop should basically be China dropping by 80%, 1) its a 3 days 2nd weekend vs 5 days 1st & 2) 1st weekend had 520 day on SAT.

Asia should be dropping 65-70% as well and Europe probably in 50s. That would give $85M ish

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I do hope Disney and other studios don't take the wrong message from this and only go with safe casting choices from now on.

I mean...granted I am not sold on this going that low yet, but I'm not sure what other lesson there is to take. In a fantasy world racism isn't real, people don't pay much thought to the color of someone's skin and it's all nice and dandy. But we don't live in that world and black-led films really struggle internationally. I was disputed on this point a week ago but I'd say it's pretty clear now. The film wasn't any worse-reviewed or worse-marketed than the other remake efforts really. These films are usually beasts internationally..

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

I do hope Disney and other studios don't take the wrong message from this and only go with safe casting choices from now on.

Safe choices or wrong choices? If it's an entirely original black princess story it wouldn't have faced so much backlash. Look at Brave and Encanto, they're not monstrous but still pull decent numbers. It's Disney fault that they can't write an actual original diverse story with diverse casts. If they really are diverse like they're trying to do, the lesbian queerbait of Frozen should have been fully realized and we could have a gay princess already. I don't think we should blame the viewers for Disney checking the boxes only.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3