GOGODanca

Weekday Thread (2/21-2/23)

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

The MCU deserved this failure.

Enough with artistically poor blockbusters without any vision.

Enough with silly nonsense that looks to be directed by an AI.

Besides Marvel hardcore fanboys, the GA wants more.

Especially after stuff like A2 and TPM.

Maybe it would finally force them to make real movies with real filmmakers instead of 2 hour commercials of cinematic universe, toys and future commercials done by committee. But who am I kidding, they'll probably just scale the budget down for future productions.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Biggest issue for MCU is short period from production start to release. That is done putting enormous pressure on VFX artists and we get crappy product out. Look at Thunderbolts. its starting production in June and they are targeting next July release !!!!

A year sounds like an average time for many big budget movies since the beginning of cinema, I don't think that's the issue, the actual issue is they are making their 'movies' in post-production, not during principal photography. It looks crappy because they often force VFX artists to change the entire scenes completely weeks before release when it requires months to properly finish them and they overuse CGI to the point they add hotel rooms and pistols in characters' hands in post. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cap said:

Also, this is probably a good time to do a PSA:

Still on hiatus. Still working through some personal stuff. See you for, idk, Adam Driver fighting a Dino. Very excited for @Brainbug’s hot take on that. 

Ill be sure to give my unbiased opinion on that movie 🙂

• Astonished 1

If GOTG3 trailer views are bad then The Flash are too (which I agree with). You can't go to the Flash thread saying how amazing its views are while later saying GOTG3 -SECOND trailer- are bad, so pick one. Both trailer debuted in the most important event in the USA, no excuses.

Edited by Lighthouse

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If GOTG3 trailer views are bad then The Flash are too (which I agree with). You can't go saying in the Flash thread how amazing are its views while saying GOTG3 -SECOND trailer- are bad, so pick one. Both trailer debuted in the most important event in the USA, no excuses.

Okay.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If GOTG3 trailer views are bad then The Flash are too (which I agree with). You can't go saying in the Flash thread how amazing are its views while saying GOTG3 -SECOND trailer- are bad, so pick one. Both trailer debuted in the most important event in the USA, no excuses.

I hate to turn this into marvel us dc but its not the same. Currently MCU has the biggest fanbase across all franchises including DC or Star Wars or Potter or anything else. So expect it to crush others with views. That is not happening. its having fewer views than even Flash !!!!

That said this is just one metric. Let us see how presales go. Its going to comp with DS2 and that will give us the biggest picture. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If GOTG3 trailer views are bad then The Flash are too (which I agree with). You can't go to the Flash thread saying how amazing its views are while later saying GOTG3 -SECOND trailer- are bad, so pick one. Both trailer debuted in the most important event in the USA, no excuses.

The hype for GoTG 3 should be considerably higher than The Flash, expectations for the flash at the box office are based on us assuming its as awesome as everyone is claiming and having great legs whereas with GoTG3 we are expecting an OW in the range of a DS2/BP2 and the trailer engagements thus far are nowhere near the level that those two had

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

A year sounds like an average time for many big budget movies since the beginning of cinema, I don't think that's the issue, the actual issue is they are making their 'movies' in post-production, not during principal photography. It looks crappy because they often force VFX artists to change the entire scenes completely weeks before release when it requires months to properly finish them and they overuse CGI to the point they add hotel rooms and pistols in characters' hands in post. 

Yes!! This is what gets me. Like in Love and Thunder, hell even in Endgame, they can't even be bothered to have Thor holding an actual prop axe half the time. It looks sooooo cheap and takes me right out of it. The magic of moviemaking fades when the audience can tell studios and creatives aren't putting any effort into it.

You look at The Lord of the Rings - THAT is the magic of moviemaking. Props, models etc.

Anyway, I know the MCU discussion is getting old so I'll try not to harp anymore. I just think it's sad given the potential the MCU still has. The IP is still money in the bank with these characters. Marvel just has to start caring about quality, from their VFX to their writers and directors.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/marvel-vfx-workers-on-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania.html

"Maybe the director had an idea of what he wanted, but he wasn’t 100 percent clear. We had a rough environment that we were sticking a few main characters in. At that time, we weren’t told where the characters should be in that environment. We were just going with what felt right.

Then there were times when we were creating an actor’s entire action: Ant-Man moving across something. And you just think, Why didn’t they film it the right way or how they wanted in the first place? Why are we having to redo and re-create? Why do we have to Frankenstein together an actor’s performance? A quick shot that maybe takes two seconds would have to be redone 20 times to get the look that they want."

:gold:

• Sad 2
  • ...wtf 3

41 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hate to turn this into marvel us dc but its not the same. Currently MCU has the biggest fanbase across all franchises including DC or Star Wars or Potter or anything else. So expect it to crush others with views. That is not happening. its having fewer views than even Flash !!!!

That said this is just one metric. Let us see how presales go. Its going to comp with DS2 and that will give us the biggest picture. 

Those trailers were released during the biggest GP event and not at some fan-based Comic Con. If nothing GOTG is at a disadvantage since it was a second trailer and it didn't have the novelty factor.

If The Batman trailer could have big numbers then The Flash easily should when it got the biggest promo slot possible. Sorry, but Flash trailer is kinda flopping too imo (there is almost no difference between both views). And I don't care for marvel btw, but my point is if one is doing it bad then the other is too.

Edited by Lighthouse

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

AM3 was already confirmed at $200M Net production budget...

Who confirmed this? Only Marvel can confirm this. Deadline/variety said MoM budget is 200M & it turned out to be wrong. Movie was filmed in England, so when they file their annual statement, we'll know the exact budget.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/01/28/how-marvel-saved-40-million-on-its-biggest-movie-of-2022/?sh=7b517f76639c

Edited by Willowra

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Flash is definitely being overpredicted. Mainly thanks to Keaton appearing who many mistakenly think will turn the movie into a NWH/Top Gun Maverick. GOTG 3 is going to outgross it by a decent amount

People vastly overestimate how much millenials and Gen Z care about Keaton's Batman. I say this as someone who loves Batman Returns.

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

People vastly overestimate how much millenials and Gen Z care about Keaton's Batman. I say this as someone who loves Batman Returns.

A straight forward solo Keaton old man Batman movie would make a mint.

Probably not TG:M numbers but certainly more than a Flash movie weighed down by horrible Snyder/Miller/Multiverse baggage.