GOGODanca

Weekday Thread (2/21-2/23)

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

I mean first of all RDJ/Evans left. They;ll get numbers returning for a big film but Marvel can’t sustain off that. They need their other characters and films succeeding.

Marvels will struggle. It’s another franchise they;ve twisted into larger story telling but this time with an anchor around Captain Marvels neck in the shape of two unpopular tv characters,

Cap/Thunderbolts will be interesting. If they are quality then I could see a weaker opening but with better legs. They should be more grounded/winter soldier like (I hope!) - but Cap has a lot to prove, I don’t find Evans replacement charasmatic.

I still think 2024 looks better than 2023 minus Guardians. It’s at least more stand alone. 

Yeah, personally I am looking forward to the "What's happening on the ground" tone of New World Order and Thunderbolts in 2024. For me the MCU is at its best when doing the grounded stories. Or, was. The quality isn't really there anymore, which is why my anticipation is fairly cautious.

Edited by Verrows

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Trailer views for Guardians 3 is a big concern considering it was promoted with SB ad. Just 11 million views on main channel after 10 days !!! That said that is the most promising MCU project in next 2 years(not sure if Deadpool 3 can be called MCU yet)

I've said it before but I feel like trailer views on YouTube are waaaaay down from what they used to be in general. For all movies. People spend more time on Tik Tok and Twitter now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I've said it before but I feel like trailer views on YouTube are waaaaay down from what they used to be in general. For all movies. People spend more time on Tik Tok and Twitter now.

TikTok growth has stalled as well. Looking at Marvel channel at Tiktok or Twitter, views are not impressive either. Something is off for sure. We will know soon once presales start. Its following one of the most hyped release at that release slot. 

As I said this should have huge hype as its finale and focus is on Rocket. If it that does not translate to something close to DS2, I think we are seeing impact of recent movies for sure. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Ant-man 3 cost $200m, where is that budget going?

The stars. You can bet the bargain bin creatives behind these movies and shows are cheap as hell. 

And I guess the VFX. How undercooked they are in most movies is probably irrelevant because the money gets spent on it either way.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

TikTok growth has stalled as well. Looking at Marvel channel at Tiktok or Twitter, views are not impressive either. Something is off for sure. We will know soon once presales start. Its following one of the most hyped release at that release slot. 

As I said this should have huge hype as its finale and focus is on Rocket. If it that does not translate to something close to DS2, I think we are seeing impact of recent movies for sure. 

Remember the days when a Marvel trailer dropped and had 40m+ views after a day or two?? Tracking trailer views was fun then!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Verrows said:

The stars. You can bet the bargain bin creatives behind these movies and shows are cheap as hell. 

And I guess the VFX. How undercooked they are in most movies is probably irrelevant because the money gets spent on it either way.

It's not a matter of spending, a big problem in ant man for example is that they didn't even know how they wanted a lot of shots to look like. The article goes pretty in-depth.

One bit talks about how they basically had to "fix" the actor's performance in post production because they didn't shoot the scene properly. And of course we all know how many changes Marvel often asks from VFX studios (and those usually go unpaid because they pay you for x shots, it doesn't matter how many times those x have to be changed). 

Yes extra time helps. And extra money helps. But you can only expect so much if direction itself doesn't know how they want the film to look like.

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

It's not a matter of spending, a big problem in ant man for example is that they didn't even know how they wanted a lot of shots to look like. The article goes pretty in-depth.

One bit talks about how they basically had to "fix" the actor's performance in post production because they didn't shoot the scene properly. And of course we all know how many changes Marvel often asks from VFX studios (and those usually go unpaid because they pay you for x shots, it doesn't matter how many times those x have to be changed). 

Yes extra time helps. And extra money helps. But you can only expect so much if direction itself doesn't know how they want the film to look like.

Oh I agree, hence my mention of bargain bin writers and directors. The talent behind the camera just isn't good enough if they can't even figure out what a film, or even a scene, is supposed to look like, as you said.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That week friday increases seem weak across the board. How to train your dragon 2 increased just over 77%. Ant 3 cannot do that bad for sure. 

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2019/03/15

Yeah, Capt Marvel weekdays (March) were inflated by Spring Break but also had WOM boost happening, so the Fri increase (+106%) should be nearly the same (daily changes almost identical to MoM’s second FSS). Don’t think we’re going to see a NWH-like +123% for this Friday, and even BP was only +102% for second Feb Fri (with a better Sat & Sun for 7.8x Thur). Don’t see it above 8x Thur 

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

The MCU deserved this failure.

Enough with artistically poor blockbusters without any vision.

Enough with silly nonsense that looks to be directed by an AI.

Besides Marvel hardcore fanboys, the GA wants more.

Especially after stuff like A2 and TPM.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's happening, @Cap!

I won’t lie, my only thought is “why the fuck did the marvels move, I had my Disneyland trip all plans on this year (SDCC, say a week, do Disney, see Marvels with the Bestie, fly home) and now I am like… Do you know how expensive plane tickets are right now, Disney? You expect me to fly out twice? Are you really gonna make me add another week to I can stay for this? 

that said; I am here for this camp masterpiece. Give it to me. 

Also, this is probably a good time to do a PSA:

Still on hiatus. Still working through some personal stuff. See you for, idk, Adam Driver fighting a Dino. Very excited for @Brainbug’s hot take on that. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Trailer views for Guardians 3 is a big concern considering it was promoted with SB ad. Just 11 million views on main channel after 10 days !!! That said that is the most promising MCU project in next 2 years(not sure if Deadpool 3 can be called MCU yet)

I've noticed this. 11M views, 312K likes just feels very soft for an MCU project. However, it was the most interacted trailer from the SB across all platforms. idk we'll have to wait for first day of PS to see how much hype there actually is. RelishMix-SB2023a.png?w=300

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I've noticed this. 11M views, 312K likes just feels very soft for an MCU project. However, it was the most interacted trailer from the SB across all platforms. idk we'll have to wait for first day of PS to see how much hype there actually is. RelishMix-SB2023a.png?w=300

Flash has more views than Guardians trailers now (14m vs 11m). Even in Tik Tok or Twitter its beating Guardians.