GOGODanca

Weekday Thread (2/21-2/23)

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This tweet from a couple of weeks ago was when I went "Damn, that's a lot of movies and shows for a 16 month stretch from Feb 2023 to July 2024

and you just know they want to make it all very interconnected so that a random background character introduced in say, checks notes, Echo, will be in say Blade and get a moment of standing around so the audience can applaud.

The big wake-up call for me was Black Widow and Loki both came out the exact same time. Seeing a brand new Marvel thing every week was already getting old after Falcon and the Winter Soldier dropped, but not having time to breathe and digest one or the other like that made me go on the "transmedia storytelling is bad actually" camp hardcore. The new DC Gunnverse is probably gonna go through the same issue when that thing starts soon.

39 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I disagree - I think certain places had Covid break into the consciousness by then b/c they already had something crazy going around - places like the Pacific Northwest and the DC Metro...

I remember being at a late Feb Church dinner, and everyone was talking about it and getting nervous and curtailing travel...

But that was late February. Not early-to-mid like Sonic had. This is anecdotal, but COVID wasn't really a discussion point at my school until that time too. At most, during that January-mid-February period, it was considered another H1N1 thing where it was serious, but not anything to stay in lockdown over.

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You wonder if GOTG 3 could suffer for the sins of Ant Man 3.  I figured it was gonna post a MoM-like figure (give or take), but if people are this down on Ant Man 3...well, Justice League after BvS was a catastrophic open...

To me, Guardians 3 and Deadpool 3 feel like Wonder Woman where there's some legit hype and intrigue from casuals and normies and even fans that it won't get impacted by the current woes of the bigger picture. They also just have much better hooks and Guardians' advertising has been a lot better than Ant-Man's.

I am very interested now to see how AM:Q stabilizes and what its final WW take is.

Given its $200M budget could this be the first Marvel movie to take a loss? It feels like a sub $550M WW is getting pretty likely.

Heck BvS with its horrible WoM and sub 2X DOM multiplier still made $873M WW. But it was so toxic that it killed a franchise for some time.

Will AM:Q numbers be such that Marvel has to actually take a serious look at what they are doing across all media and make some tough decisions on whether there are significant changes that need to be made?

5 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I am very interested now to see how AM:Q stabilizes and what its final WW take is.

Given its $200M budget could this be the first Marvel movie to take a loss? It feels like a sub $550M WW is getting pretty likely.

Heck BvS with its horrible WoM and sub 2X DOM multiplier still made $873M WW. But it was so toxic that it killed a franchise for some time.

Will AM:Q numbers be such that Marvel has to actually take a serious look at what they are doing across all media and make some tough decisions on whether there are significant changes that need to be made?

Incredible Hulk and Eternals were flops so it wouldn't be the first Marvel movie to have a loss

8 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

maybe its for the best for mcu if antman flops cause changes are needed

6 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Given its $200M budget could this be the first Marvel movie to take a loss?

Not the first one there were already few financial bombs in MCU: Eternals, Black Widow, Shang-Chi (this one maybe at breakeven but who knows)

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

This is setting up to a strong hold weekend for A2. 

looking forward to avatar's 11th-weekend thread

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

The big wake-up call for me was Black Widow and Loki both came out the exact same time. Seeing a brand new Marvel thing every week was already getting old after Falcon and the Winter Soldier dropped, but not having time to breathe and digest one or the other like that made me go on the "transmedia storytelling is bad actually" camp hardcore. The new DC Gunnverse is probably gonna go through the same issue when that thing starts soon.

I agree. Transmedia storytelling is not the future unless you can make the different things completely independent of each other. You should not have to watch a random episode of a TV show for a movie to make sense - reiterate or restate whatever info you need from the TV show, but don't assume that everyone has watched the TV show.

It can work provided the movies and shows work individually and stand-alone and don't act like they are all just building to the next thing instead of completing their own story.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

MoM budget was 172M, so AM3 budget shouldn't be more than that as movie was filmed in England, it would get 25% tax credits just like Shang-Chi & MoM.

Trailer views for Guardians 3 is a big concern considering it was promoted with SB ad. Just 11 million views on main channel after 10 days !!! That said that is the most promising MCU project in next 2 years(not sure if Deadpool 3 can be called MCU yet)

Edited by keysersoze123

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/marvel-vfx-workers-on-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania.html?utm_source=pocket_saves&uuid=4J9EhpQtfzOcVlQj2544

It turns out critics aren’t the only ones who feel that the computer-generated imagery on Quantumania could have used a bit more fine-tuning. Some of the very VFX technicians and artists who created those sequences — who spoke with Vulture on condition of anonymity for fear of professional retaliation — agree that the film’s CGI-quality-control measures were subpar. Two of the three people we interviewed admitted that “shortcuts” were taken and said critical resources were diverted away to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever — the follow-up to 2018’s $1.34 billion–grossing Black Panther — which was in postproduction around the same time as Quantumania. Several of the same effects houses worked on both films, creating competition for the most highly skilled VFX workers.

Like previous criticism leveled at Marvel by effects techs tired of being “pixel-fucked” and pursuing unionization, these workers say the project was severely understaffed while facing an unrealistically short deadline to hit Ant-Man’s long-established Presidents’ Day bow. The upshot: a grueling slog during which filmmakers and studio executives “nitpicked” and revised vast swaths of Quantumania without budgeting enough time to implement the changes, forcing VFX workers to toil as many as 80 hours per week for months. “This was like a second wave of what happened with James Cameron on Titanic, where the compositors were basically taking naps under their desks, because there wasn’t enough time between shifts to go back home, then come back,” one of the techs said. “Now, the entirety of the industry that has been touched by Marvel is permanently seared, and that’s what’s causing the most burnout.”

7 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I'm curious to see if they take time to explain Kamala and her story in the Marvels or will they just expect everyone to have seen her show

They briefly explained WandaVision plot in MoM so people who didn't watch tv series are not lost, so probably something similar. 

5 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

lmao Marvel saw the discourse surrounding Ant-Man's legs and was like "DROP THE THUNDERBOLTS NEWS, DISTRACTION!"

Not much of a distraction. I cannot believe that 2024 MCU slate is a movie headed by winter soldier and supporting characters from Black Widow movie !!!! While they are making Captain America 4 without Steve Rogers headed by Falcon !!! 

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This should be Marvel's top priority.  By far. 

Wakanda Forever is the only film that has looked decent in so long. How do they plan on keep getting the "big screen spectacle" money if these movies end up looking a cheap (!) Spy Kids? 

(+ we all know audiences would be more forgiving overall) 

1 minute ago, expensiveho said:

This should be Marvel's top priority.  By far. 

Wakanda Forever is the only film that has looked decent in so long. How do they plan on keep getting the "big screen spectacle" money if these movies end up looking a cheap (!) Spy Kids? 

(+ we all know audiences would be more forgiving overall) 

Ant-man 3 cost $200m, where is that budget going?

1 hour ago, M37 said:

That Wed number is so low that I have to wonder if there isn’t some weather (or Ash Wed?) effect baked in there. Or maybe it is just Quorum/review/lack of holiday effect finally catching up, finding it’s natural - and much lower - baseline level moving forward 

Capt Marvel had a 7.9x second weekend of its Wed, and that was with a +8% Thur, while MoM was 6.78x (off a -10% Thur).  Thinking ~7.5x Thur here, so if it drops further …

That week friday increases seem weak across the board. How to train your dragon 2 increased just over 77%. Ant 3 cannot do that bad for sure. 

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2019/03/15