filmlover

The 95th Academy Awards official live feed thread | EEAAO and All Quiet win most of the awards. A24 reigns supreme and Asian Excellence is high

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Feel like this +the incredible amount of positive PR buzz for him all fall and winter insanely vaults him back into legitimate industry name. KOTFM will only help with this. They should 100% reboot the Mummy franchise, and Fraser no doubt should be on DC/Marvel's minds for something significant as well. 

He is now going to be on Kevin's radar for Ben Grimm aka The Thing. This whole hiring jewish actor for that role is silly. Get Branden. He will handle the ben grimm scenes very well and voice work on The thing would be great.

I'm pretty sure if Fraser hadn't spoken out against the Globes and skipped the ceremony he would've won over Farrell there and very likely would've made an almost clean sweep at the televised awards (minus BAFTA, who feel like the biggest losers out of this season considering they got none of the acting wins right in the end). Probably one of the more volatile years in the acting categories I can remember.

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just like that a Q1 release can win Best Picture. First since Silence of the Lambs. In fact its opening weekend was the weekend of last year's Oscars. So there's hope for 65 next year.

It's a bit crazy how Fabelmans fell off. I remember when it premiered the reactions were like "The Oscar race is over". There was no actual backlash against it, it just faded away slowly instead. Michelle Williams probably didn't help by going for Best Actress instead of what would have probably been a sweep in what ended up being an unsettled Supporting Actress race.

Also must be said that it felt nice having an Oscars that actually felt like a tribute to the magic of the movies after the condescending tone of the previous ceremony where you had the hosts complaining they couldn't finish the nominees because of how long they were. About time these shows learned to please the audience that's actually interested in you instead of chasing the edgelord crowd that will complain no matter what.

• Like 7

The Whale wining best Actor and best makeup baffled me why they snubbed the movie for best adapted screenplay and best picture during nomination? Or is it just late release date caused the movie went under radar among general voters?

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's a bit crazy how Fabelmans fell off. I remember when it premiered the reactions were like "The Oscar race is over". There was no actual backlash against it, it just faded away slowly instead. Michelle Williams probably didn't help by going for Best Actress instead of what would have probably been a sweep in what ended up being an unsettled Supporting Actress race.

most of the recent best picture winners are from filmmakers who have never made an Oscar nominated movie prior. idk maybe the obvious directors don't appeal as much any more. I bet a lot of early predictions for next year will get behind Flower Moon or Oppenheimer but then neither of them take it, they'll find some underdog movie to go for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The Whale wining best Actor and best makeup baffled me why they snubbed the movie for best adapted screenplay and best picture during nomination? Or is it just late release date caused the movie went under radar among general voters?

Because the screenplay sucks and it's a bad movie in general apart from those elements.

In all seriousness, it was probably the 11th or 12th nomination, but other movies just had more going for them.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

most of the recent best picture winners are from filmmakers who have never made an Oscar nominated movie prior. idk maybe the obvious directors don't appeal as much any more. I bet a lot of early predictions for next year will get behind Flower Moon or Oppenheimer but then neither of them take it, they'll find some underdog movie to go for.

Christopher Nolan never won. In fact, the major cast members announced so far like RDJ, Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy never won. So it is still pretty much a "never won" underdog.   

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Christopher Nolan never won. In fact, the major cast members announced so far like RDJ, Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy never won. So it is still pretty much a "never won" underdog.   

expensive big studio pictures don't win the oscar anymore. 

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just like that a Q1 release can win Best Picture. First since Silence of the Lambs. In fact its opening weekend was the weekend of last year's Oscars. So there's hope for 65 next year.

No wonder Morbius looked that Oscar-baity to me last year!

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The movie was divisive (count me among the "boo" camp) but those who did connect with it really connected with it, and while narratives might not have been enough to propel Glenn Close or Chadwick Boseman to wins during their respective years, it was probably enough for Fraser in a fractured Best Actor year where his competition was largely non-threatening and lacked true passion (the runner-up seemingly being a former Disney Channel/Nickelodeon young actor breaking out into more sophisticated fare). Just one of those years that happens from time to time.

Edited by filmlover

I was curious about the multiple academy award winners in previous years, so for those wanting to reflect back like me, here are are the multiple Oscar winning films by year since the 1998 Oscars (70th Academy Awards) with Titanic. (Best Picture winners in bold.)

Everything Everywhere is the winningest film since Gravity in 2014 (which also had 7 wins), and winningest Best Picture winner since Slumdog Millionaire in 2009 (8 wins) and before that Return of the King in 2004 (11 wins).

Man, 7 wins for Gravity but no Best Picture... just looked it up, it's not a record, since Cabaret won 8 awards at the 1973 Oscars without winning Best Picture. 

Spoiler

• Everything Everywhere All At Once - 7
  • All Quiet on the Western Front - 4
  • The Whale - 2

• Dune - 6
  • CODA - 3
  • The Eyes of Tammy Faye - 2

• Nomadland - 3
  • The Father - 2
  • Judas and the Black Messiah - 2
  • Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom - 2
  • Mank - 2