CJohn

Friday Numbers (THG: 6.5M; T3S: 5.6M; CitW: 5.5M)

Have we really been reduced to comparing IMDB ratings? Bitch, please...

Well point me somewhere else where we can find the average rating of half a million movie goers for those movies. Like it or not, IMDB is about as good as we have when it comes to general audience opinion. Edited by MovieMan89

Well point me somewhere else where we can find the average rating of half a million movie goers for those movies. Like it or not, IMDB is about as good as we have when it comes to general audience opinion.

There's no really good method. IMDB itself is not particularly good because it's not representative of all moviegoers at all: by its very nature, it's highly slanted towards younger, computer-savvy, Internet-literate people. And so, very obviously, movies that aim at those viewers get the highest ratings: recent blockbusters or "cool" movies get abnormally high ratings. When you add in the fact that fanboys of various sorts have all kinds of voting campaigns, it's really just a mess, not good at any type of precision at all. If you want to vaguely say whether a movie was liked or disliked, it's fine. But for any type of nuance it's useless.

I must admit I underestimated the legs of Hunger Games. It is holding better than I expected, and now looks like it should pass 350M domestic without too much trouble. This is great for Lions Gate, they deserve the success. I still remain a bit puzzled as to how and why Hunger Games is this popular, as the film itself has a lot of problems. I didn't like the film personally. Then again, the film does have elements that would draw in Potter or Twilight fans, and there is a huge number of fans of the Hunger Books. Unlike the Twilight films though, Hunger Games doesn't seem to be as popular overseas. Percentage-wise it's much more popular in North America than overseas.

Edited by ACCA

Perhaps the wrong place, but who actually issues the numbers? I understand that the studio issue them obviously, but to whom? As in, where do they actually appear first?I tend to follow Boxoffice.com on Twitter, along with Box office Guru and ERC.

Edited by goosenman

I must admit I underestimated the legs of Hunger Games. It is holding better than I expected, and now looks like it should pass 350M domestic without too much trouble. This is great for Lions Gate, they deserve the success. I still remain a bit puzzled as to how and why Hunger Games is this popular, as the film itself has a lot of problems. I didn't like the film personally. Then again, the film does have elements that would draw in Potter or Twilight fans, and there is a huge number of fans of the Hunger Books. Unlike the Twilight films though, Hunger Games doesn't seem to be as popular overseas. Percentage-wise it's much more popular in North America than overseas.

It will gross more than the first TWILIGHT film overseas, though.

Perhaps the wrong place, but who actually issues the numbers? I understand that the studio issue them obviously, but to whom? As in, where do they actually appear first?I tend to follow Boxoffice.com on Twitter, along with Box office Guru and ERC.

Rentrak is the source of box office.http://www.rentrak.com/They report data to studios.