CJohn

Friday Numbers (THG: 6.5M; T3S: 5.6M; CitW: 5.5M)

http://www.deadline....f-hunger-games/

THE THREE STOOGES IS OVERPERFORMING!

May do over 20M in the weekend!!!!

NEW UPDATE:

http://www.hollywood...er-games-312067

The three films could all gross in the $5 million to $7 million range for the day; "Stooges" could end up on top, but it needs to gross $6 million or more to overtake monster "Hunger Games" for the weekend.

3RD UPDATE:

http://www.deadline....f-hunger-games/

FRIDAY 4:15 PM UPDATE: Strong matinees are helping Twentieth Century Fox newcomer The Three Stooges to overperform at the North American box office. It was #1 for matinees today. By 4 PM it was neck-and-neck with Joss Whedon’s extremely well-reviewed The Cabin In The Woods at $6.4M-$6.5M. But the horror genre does better on Friday nights and the PG family fare best on Saturday mats. For the weekend, there’s a good chance Stooges could take down juggernaut The Hunger Games after Lionsgate’s 3 straight weeks atop the box office in the U.S. and Canada. Right now weekend projections are: Three Stooges $21M, The Hunger Games $21M, and Cabin In The Woods $17M. Hunger Games is looking like $4.7M-$5M today.

Edited by CJohn

RIDAY 3 PM: Strong matinees are helping Twentieth Century Fox newcomer The Three Stooges to overperform at the North American box office and take down Lionsgate’s juggernaut The Hunger Games on its 4th weekend in release. The Farrelly Brothers comedy was #1 for the matinees and is looking like #1 for the day. That has caused my sources to up their weekend projections to “possibly a number with a ’2′ in front of it”. I’ve been telling Hollywood all week I thought this movie would do better than their $15M-$18M predictions because it’s PG and so many different generations of men grew up loving The Stooges. Plus the reviews are better than expected, especially from top-end critics which is surprising given the suject matter. Then again, there’s genius in that silliness. Joss Whedon’s horror genre Cabin In The Woods also has received decent reviews and should meet MGM/Lionsgate’s expectations for grosses in the teens this weekend. More later.

Also-I really dislike the 3 Stooges, but there is no denying that there short films have a HUGE cult following.This film has been rumored for over a decade.Now I know some people here like to knock on the kids films, but even watching kids films from when you were a kid they were not that great. (Some people here treated Cats and Dogs like gold-I hated that film)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first week in a while with no 20M film?

We don't know yet if THG or T3S are going to break the 20M. But since The Grey, in January, we always have one movie over 20M.

Dang tons of hypocryts here.They go off saying "Don't attack that film if you have not seen it" While they go attack this film. Maybe people want a fun film for a change? Also it was going to leave eventully. And as I said there was some stuff:Very very wide.First family film live action that is for boys in a while.Decent reviews.And a 20M OW-that is one of the lowest number ones this year, so its not like it is making 100M.Dang I hate to see peoples reactions if Home Alone was now...

Before anyone here says this doesn't surprise them, everyone here...EVERYONE including me, have laughed at the Three Stooges. None of thought a break out was possible. So don't start changing your tune now.Having said that, there were some reviews on twitter the last few days that surprised me, name David Poland (who's snarky on a good day) and a guy from Variety who both said they loved it and would be taking their kids to see it. So although I never expressed it, I wondered if maybe it would do better than expected, but still we're all fooled with this one....IF THESE NUMBERS HOLD.