Eric is Quiet

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Let's hope actual comes in higher. If it can stay at no. 2 every weekend till guardians; as good counter programming for Super (breakout) Mario Bros; then 200m domestic and 400m worldwide should be in reach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Let's hope actual comes in higher. If it can stay at no. 2 every weekend till guardians; as good counter programming for Super (breakout) Mario Bros; then 200m domestic and 400m worldwide should be in reach.

That'a very much possible. Korea, Saudi Arabia, amd Japan are still to open.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

14.60M JOHN WICK IV

14.50M DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

14.47M AIR

Of the three, DnD has the most most bullish Sunday estimate from Paramount with only -34% on Sunday. Three-way fight for number 2 should either go to Air or JW4, their older-skewed audience should help Sunday drop. 

• Thanks 1

Deadline:

Thirty-eight percent of Super Mario Bros‘ weekend domestic box office came from Imax, PLF, motion seats and 3D screens. 3D drove 15% of the gross. For Imax, Super Mario Bros is their highest opening of all-time for an animated movie with a global take of $21.6M. That figure includes the $16.6M stateside record for the pic at 403 auditoriums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Ready Player One might be a decent comp, at +4% Sat, -29% Sun, -53% Mon, so maybe -35% Sun with potential to go even higher 

Apr 8, 2023 1 $56,870,000 +4%  

Comp looking good after one day, see what Sunday brings. Won't be at all surprised if that Sunday estimate winds up $4-$5M too low

4 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Other video game franchises that would make a killing at the box office *if executed properly*:

GTA: Adapt GTA IV, the story of an eastern European immigrant who fled a nation of war in seek of a new life in Liberty City, where he couldn't outrun his past. In the game, his home country is unnamed, but it could easily be Ukraine now. If I were somehow producing this, I'd give Chad Stahelski however much money he wanted to direct.

Red Dead (Redemption): Keeping with the Rockstar theme (honestly, they could afford to produce these blockbuster films in house and avoid studio meddling), who doesn't love a quality western epic?

Zelda: I don't think animated is the right way to go, this would need to be a live action fantasy epic

Kingdom Hearts: Multiverse, so hot right now(?), Disney nostalgia, so hot right always. Would resonate with domestic audiences much more than a Final Fantasy film

Half-Life: Sci-fi military action thriller with a scientist protagonist, adapt it with the care that HBO is giving The Last of Us, and you've got a hit film.

The problem with GTA and Red Dead is that they're basically playable versions of every crime and western movie ever made, which is what makes them appealing as games. As movies they may risk being derivative. It's the same issue making a Call Of Duty movie/show runs into. The former's games also generally have very hatable protagonists which may not be appealing for general audiences. 

Half Life might be too cerebral, and even if it's successful you have the matter of little sequel material. Plus JJ Abrams tried to adapt it and that failed.

If you ask me, a Dead Space movie should probably be something pursued, esp after the success of the remake game.

• Like 1

Highest Grossing Single Days By Film

Post-pandemic, excluding previews:

1. NWH Sat 12/18/21 $73.94M
  2. NWH Fri 12/17/21 $71.96
  3. NWH Sun 12/19/21 $64.23
  4. MoM Sat 5/07/22 $57.81
  5. Mario Sat 4/08/23 $56.87 (est)
  6. BPWF Sat 11/12/22 $56.13
  7. BWPF Fri 11/11/22 $55.29 (Veteran's Day)
  8. Mario Fri 4/07/23 $54.80 (est / Good Friday)
  9. MoM Fri 5/06/22 $54.72
  10. JWD Sat 6/11/22 $46.89

Big drop off from 9 to 10, and only 5 more days having even topped $40M, with Thor, Avatar and Batman rounding out the top 15. With a smaller PLF share and more children's tickets producing a lower ATP, Mario's Saturday and Friday are probably only behind NWH's OW in terms of raw admits

Once weekend actuals are in, Mario will own 5 of the 6 highest grossing days of 2023, with only the Saturday of AMWQ ($33.90M) ahead of its Wed & Thur (and Sat John Wick just below Thursday), will have nearly caught AMWQ for total gross this calendar year, passing it on Monday and then claiming top spot from Avatar by next weekend

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

That'a very much possible. Korea, Saudi Arabia, amd Japan are still to open.

Not sure how big John Wick is in Korea, but it opens only 2 weeks before Mario.

They do have 2 Japanese actors in this one so hopefully Japan is good. But Japan only opens in September i think..?

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not sure how big John Wick is in Korea, but it opens only 2 weeks before Mario.

They do have 2 Japanese actors in this one so hopefully Japan is good. But Japan only opens in September i think..?

Yes, September, but no definite date.

Super Mario Bros., Transformers and Indiana Jones all this year. As an 80's Baby, I'm very happy all three properties are still going strong 40 years later.   If you would have told me to all the way back then pick one out of the three that would still be here I would have said Mario for sure.   But I'm still happy Transformers and yes even an Older Indiana Jones will still be making Bank in the modern era.   All Three Franchises took different routes to get here.....but they're still generating interest.   

• Heart 1